Recent Airport Troubles in Brasil

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by thetaylor310, Dec 6, 2006.

1. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oi galera!

When i was recently in Brasil, i remembered reading about the constant airport troubles that the major hubs faced (Congonhas-SP, Jobim-RJ, Brasília and others)... and it seems like the air authority in Brasil is still having troubles keeping flights going on schedule

And actually, i had a very funny... (well not really!) experience when i was at the Curitiba airport (Afonso Pena). It was the 18th of November and i was getting ready to embark for Guarulhos-SP. It was raining that day in Curitiba (typical curitibano weather!!) and all of a sudden... BOOM. The power went out! It did this twice and it delayed us for an hour or so

This, plus that unfortunate Gol accident and Varig still being a big pain in the arse for Brasil, makes me wonder about the future state of Brasil's skies

What do you guys think about it?

i also would like it if there were a more direct flight available to us here in the West Coast (LAX, more specifically), but seeing how there aren't too many brasileiros here... i don't think that's gonna happen soon!

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, air travel to Brasil sucks. When I went to Brasil last year, I paid about $750. For next year, most of the tickets are running around $1,200 because of the Varig mess.

I personally would like to see more direct flights from DC to RJ. Once in a while I see a rare direct flight from DC to SP..

3. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm glad the last time I went to an airport was 10 years ago.

4. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i wish i could say the same! haha...

Well, technically, it is true... up to this year, i didn't personally have to go to the airport since 1996. Aonde você foi 10 anos atrás?

Today, i did a random ONE-way price check to Brasil (LAX to Maringá-PR) and it cost over US$1.200... i paid about US$1.400 for ROUND-trip when i went. Criminal!!

5. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Coréia, passando por LA

6. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thread title should be, "continuing airport troubles in Brasil."

It has been a mess for a while now. First Varig, then the crashes, strikes...

*sigh* I miss Brasil.

7. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the airport troubles were caused by the airplane crash, which was the biggest in Brazil´s history (and has not killed even 200 people).

The air controllers, seeing that they would be (at least partially) blamed for the accident, decided to expose their situation and fixed a limit for the number of aircraft they would control, forcing the government to hire new air controllers, a process that will take some months.

8. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I really don't think this problems in the airports were caused by the Gol's flight 1907. We are simple incompetent for doing something better. And why the air controller would be afraid about the crash? There is North Americans in this case. The brasilians, as we all know, would blame them, practical that I hate in Brasil.

9. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    hahahaha...

Fui pra Coréia 10 anos atrás também! Talvez nós encontramos já??? :D

And of course, Gol 1907 was not the catalyst of all the recent problems... but it only serves to highlight the other problems that exists with the Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil (Anac)

Geez... as soon as i open up the news section in Globo right now...

Anac registra atrasos em 281 vôos nesta terça-feira

Nossa........ não acredito

10. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oi pessoal

Yesterday here in Brasil, air traffic controlers in Brasília decided to pull the plug on operations and all 49 major airports in Brasil had major cancelations, with most of them being centered in the Norte/Nordeste regions

One airplane in Congonhas aparently waited on the tarmac (with the passengers inside!) for more than three HOURS last night :eek:

The controlers were basically protesting against the Government for better wages and i think i heard that they reached a tentative agreement for now, but no guarantees that all airports and flights will resume on normal operations

What i thought was rather sad is that the passengers venting out against the airline companies, which don't really have the power over the feud between the traffic controllers and the Government. One female attendant in Rio de Janeiro was attacked by an irate male passenger and, obviously, this was captured on news cameras ao vivo. Both Gol and TAM are going to waive the reissue tax to passengers who had their flights canceled by last night's fiasco. And they also tried to accommodate people by paying for hotels and what not

This makes me more worried because i have my own current problems with respects to air travel here in Brasil

Speaking of which... when i got back here in the 1st of this month, i arrived at Guarulhos in the morning from LA/Lima-PERU and just only 30 mins being there, i got robbed. i was looking at some of the stores there in Guarulhos and when i turned around to get my carrinho, someone had taken my handbag. It had my laptop, a digital camera, lots of other stuff... but most importantly, it had my airplane tickets

Sadly, because my ticket was also combined with a foreign airline, TAM could not reissue me another ticket from Sao Paulo to Maringá (in Paraná). Fortunately, a friend from the States was at the same airport and had paid for my fare to Maringá. And with the ticket being gone, i dunno whether i can even get back to the US this coming June

Even as of this morning, lots of flights are still canceled or rescheduled to leave hours later; hundreds of passengers camped out in most (if not all) of the airports and are still there, waiting for their flights

ugh...

11. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Man... This sucks. You know that in Guarulhos Airport there are many gangs watching you and looking for your bag. Recently, in a police operation, they killed a man that commanded one of this gang.

12. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah... it sucks a lot rsrs

Another friend told me that the polícia in SP was able to get back a lot of stolen stuff from these gangs... including things stolen from the airports

As my bag had very specific things, i hope that i can hear some good news soon from the policia haha

13. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No no no... the problems were not CREATED by the crash. The problems were EXPOSED by the crash.

Prior to the accident, brazilians and brazilian media never cared about air traffic controlers etc... nor the situation of Infraero... after the accident, the hard facts about the very low wages, poor work conditions, low staff numbers, long work hours of air traffic controllers were exposed. Not mentioning all other rotten stuff came out of Infraero´s closet.

14. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ok. but you said in another post that "the airport troubles were caused by the airplane crash".