Rebuilding the NT -2018 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Jun 26, 2014.

1. X@vier

X@vier Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    is the new list coming out today?

2. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  3. X@vier

X@vier Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    thats too bad that he didn't call up Cevallos but called up Quiñonez :/

4. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Wow. What a terrible list. Where is Cevallos? Joao Plata? Arroyo? Sornoza? Cazares? And call up Quinones and Oyola?!?! That's bull. They freaking suck.

5. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think he made the list with 24 players this time simply because he did the microciclo training sessions before the Qualifier game (vs. Honduras last month). Since Quinteros has been coach he never had the opportunity to have microciclos which is why he would always have a list of 30 players or so every single Qualifier round. Now that he had the microciclo it wasn't necessary. In this case, we now know who he considers his best 23 players. The 24th player is Gabriel Cortez who has had an excellent campeonato and his few games in Libertadores were good along with his NT performance vs. Honduras. The kid has a lot of potential and is in a great moment. He's basically considered the "invited player" IMO. Now to talk about the list more in depth:

goal keepers:
    Librado Azcona- why is he absent? He isn't having good performances in Olimpia. He does start, but he hasn't exactly adapted well to his new team. Banguera on the other hand is in his best moment especially after a great second semester in 2016 winning the title with BSC. Dominguez has more NT experience than Azcona and Dreer is the starter. There is no room for Azcona at the moment.

Defense:
    Frickson Erazo: Absent because he's been injured for a while and has not had playing time since he's still recovering.

Pedro Velasco: Just recovered from an injury, so that's why he's not here.

Dario Aimar: Absent why? Well to be honest, there's only room for 4 center backs and he's not in the top 4 at the moment. His 2016 was great and he finished off as one of the best center backs, if not the best, of the campeonato. This year I can't say the same. He's not having a bad year, but he hasn't shown growth either. THIS is where you can tell a difference between players who are going to make it big or not. If you can have 2 consecutive years with good futbol and show growth then you're bound for success. Dario Aimar is slacking now. A bit sloppy at times in defense in comparison to his outstanding work last year. He can recover and get back to his former level I have no doubts about that, but right now he's on chill mode like a lot of other BSC players who are taking it VERY easy after winning the campeonato. He just needs a change in attitude along with them to get to the Dario Aimar we all know, but for now Robert Arboleda > Dario Aimar.

Robert Arboleda: He's on the list b/c of the excellent moment he's having. He's one of U. Catolica's stand out players and despite all the criticism and lack of belief I've personally had in him since I've always considered him average at best, I think he's having a great moment and deserves to be on the list.

Midfield:
    Pedro Quinonez: doesn't exactly deserve to be on the list but he's the one player in that position that's had the most consistency. Not a stand out, but he'll have to do. I prefer him over Carlos Gruezo.

Matias Oyola: Not my preference, but Alex Bolanos isn't starting so it's a very similar situation to Pedro's. He'll have to do for now.

Jefferson Montero: HOW is he on this list??? You're telling me a player that hasn't played due to injury since December is worthy of being part of crucial Qualifier matches. GTFO!! BIG mistake Quinteros and hopefully you don't regret giving this opportunity to Michael Arroyo.

Forwards:

All the attacking players on the list deserve their opportunity for one reason or another, even Cortez. The big argument will come when thinking about Junior Sornoza who is one of our best players playing in a foreign league this year and the star player of Fluminense and Juan Cazares who has consistently played every game in Atletico Mineiro and done pretty well lately. Do they not deserve the opportunity over Gabriel Cortez??? Or is Cortez THAT good. I do believe Cortez is a great player, but he's far from proven. He has potential YES, but Cazares and Sornoza are more than potential at the moment. They're the real deal- PROVEN players.

Other people will mention John Cifentes and Michael Estrada not being on the list, but truth is they're not better than the guys we have on the list right now. Great players, but not good enough to cut any of the other guys out.

6. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I saw Cortez twice vs Deportivo Municipal and thought he was garbage, but everyone is praising him. Great hair though

7. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Was looking forward to this call up seeing as we got 6 games left and our next 2 are against strong opponents who are trying to claw back into a qualification spot. Really left scratching my head when i seen Montero on there, last person i wanted to see here. Cevallos Jr, Arroyo, Soronoza, and Cazares should have all been called up over Montero, and Oyola imo. I'd start the following players

Dreer: Paredes, Mina, Achilier, Ramirez; Noboa, Orejuela; Valencia, Bolanos, Enner; Caicedo

8. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

9. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    He is often used as a Left wing under Mendoza which is not his proffered position some times he doesnt have good games but its because he is playing out of position he is best used as a CAM.

10. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Sornoza scored again.......... and we didn't call him up......... just saying.............

11. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Rostov sucks but Noboa is doing what he can....some nice passing here and there.

12. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He played really well in the first half of the first match. For the second match he was squad captain and came within inches of tying the game in literally the final kick of the match: https://streamable.com/lc7st

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Valencia had an amazing run, the way he just carried the ball from the back was spectacular. Noboa had a great game today. I hope it translates well in the next eliminatorias.

14. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I feel good coming into these matches against Paraguay and Colombia. Valencia, Enner, Bolanos, Noboa and Caicedo have all been playing great these past games. It seems that Ramirez's injury is not a big issue which is great considering how good he's been for his club, Cruz Azul's coach suggests Mena should play limited minutes which shouldnt be a problem since hes not a starter although he has been great in Mexico as of late along with Rojas. Goalkeeping i feel comfortable with Dreer in net, its nice to see Parades finally starting and getting minutes which is great to see.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    This has to be one of the greatest moments we are having in a while (since 2015) where lots of our players, especially our starters and even players not on this squad list are regularly playing and being stand outs in their teams.

If we analyze the starting line up:
    Dreer- consistent as always
    Paredes- plays every other game and is more consistently getting minutes compared to nothing at Watford.
    Cunti- plays 90 minutes every game in Cruzeiro
    Mina- probably the only player in the line up that is in a bad moment and isn't playing consistently
    Ramirez- I hope he starts this game and takes over from here on out. Starts every game and is a stand out in Russia. Excellent moment
    Noboa- in one of the best moments of his career STILL since last year. He gets better with age it seems.
    Orejuela- consistent starter and important player in Fluminense since he got there.
    Antonio- Possibly the best moment in his career and one of the most consistent years in his career. He's the highlight player of Manchester along with Zlatan. THAT's a big deal.
    Miller- Having a great start of the season in Gremio. He's an important player in his team and is having the best moment in his team since he joined last season.
    Enner- Has had a fantastic month with 2 goals and 1 assist in the last 2-3 weeks.
    Felipe- Has had 1 goal and 1 assist in this month and is getting consistent playing time now. He's on the rise again.

Assuming these are the starters vs. Paraguay, there's nothing but positivity in the air. It is very possible Ecuador surprises once again this Qualifier with an important win outside of Quito. I'd really say the only two players in the entire squad who are in a bad moment are Arturo Mina and Jeff Montero (coming back from injury). Other than that it is truly the best we have (with the exclusion of an injured Renato Ibarra and Cazares and Sornoza being in a great moment in Brazil right now).

16. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    if we analyze substitutes:

Banguera- doing well in BSC.
    Dominguez- benched in Monterrey.
    Mario Pineida- best moment of his career IMO.
    Robert Arboleda- best moment in his career. One of the most improved players...he's the talk of the town every week with his great performances in U Catolica.
    Gabriel Achilier- one of the best moments at club level he's had in the last few years. Captain of Morelia. He seems like he's mentally in a much better place.
    Walter- not starting...on the declining part of his career.
    Pedro Quinonez- not a stand out, but he's doing ok in Emelec. Mostly an average player...right now is not any different.
    Matias Oyola- doing pretty well in BSC.
    Angel Mena- stand out and star player of Cruz Azul. Having one of the best moments in his career since his 2014-2015 season in Emelec.
    Gabriel Cortez- one of the stand out players in the campeonato. Lots of people place him in the top 3. Most certainly deserves the attention he gets. He's doing pretty well.
    Marcos Caicedo- in the best moment of his career. That Libertadores game and the NT game vs. Honduras, along with the few minutes of NT exposure he's had in Qualifiers tell me he's ready to shine for real when given the chance.
    Jeff Montero- coming back from an injury since December.
    Fidel Martinez- consistent starter in Atlas...nothing spectacular lately, but he plays for sure.

My overall analysis is VERY positive for these next two games. This is what we've wanted to hear and see....a NT filled with players in a good moment. It's a sense of relief compared to the struggles we went through exactly a year ago.

17. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm still waiting to see a Noboa gol.

18. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    According to Ecuagol ,Ayovi is the starter.:( Love the guy but his time is up.

19. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree. At this point, the only reason Walter Ayovi is a starter on the NT is because of his experience and the fact that he's the captain. His age, current form, and characteristics aren't favorable for him at the moment. Especially when we have players like Cristian Ramirez who is having a great moment in his career in Russia and Mario Pineida who is the best right/left fullback in the campeonato in the best moment of his career. Either one could start right now. They're both in better form and their characteristics are more suitable for us on the NT.

The problem is Walter hasn't had a BAD game on the NT. He mostly has acceptable and good games. Right now I think we'll really see if he has any fuel left in him since we've never dealt with starting Walter on the NT while he's riding bench at club level b/c let's face it....he's been VERY consistent his entire career and almost never had to ride the bench due to bad performance or poor form. So this will be a first. Ramirez and Pineida are on their toes right now for the grabs. I like both, but since I've actually seen Ramirez in a Qualifier my vote goes to him.

20. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ramirez is out for the games. Honestly I don't know what to expect from Walter. We have two crucial games coming up and he may very well be the weak link.

21. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It should also be important to point out that Dreer, Mina, Paredes, Ayovi, Noboa, Orejuela, and Bolanos all have yellow cards if 2 or more of these guys get cautioned that colombia game will be harder than it already is. I really hope Noboa doesnt get carded we need him the most

22. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    How do you guys size up our opposition? Paraguay's last four matches are 3 defeats and one victory. They lost at home to Colombia, beat Argentina in Argentina, lost at home to Peru, and then lost away at Bolivia.

23. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's going to be a tough game. They will be looking for a win....it will keep them alive.

24. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Its not often we have this many players available for the same game, I understand everyone's concern about Walter but I think he'll be fine.

25. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Confirmed XI vs Paraguay

Dreer; Paredes, Mina, Caicedo, Ayovi; Noboa, Orejuela; Valencia, Bolanos, Enner; Caicedo