Real Sounds of Africa - Soccer Fan, lyric project...

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Unak78, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017

Anyone here can try to help me fill in the gaps. I've been trying to complete this since this morning when I got home...

(Intro- commentary audio)
    "The success story continues. New Records are created"

(x2)
    I am a football fan.
    I am a soccer fan.
    I came to see Lineker,
    with the rest of the World!

I am a football fan.
    I am a soccer fan.
    I came to see Maradona,
    who is going to score in Naples!

We are the football fans.
    We are the soccer fans.
    We gonna see Robson,
    who is going to score in Naples!
    We gonna see Van Basten,
    on the football field!

(x2)
    San Siro is ?-,
    ?- ?- ?- ??-,
    before the rest of the world!
    Join in on TV.
    Let's watch and see!
    ?- ?- again...
    We are number one!
    We are Soccer Fans!
    We are number one!
    We are Soccer Fans...

(x4, with trumpet instrumental)
    SAN SIRO!

SAN SIRO!

SAN SIRO!

(instrumental interlude)

We are the Champions!

(trumpet instrumental)

(End.)

Everything is pretty easy until the second refrain where it becomes a little dicey as to the specifics of what he was saying. I'm sure that English was used throughout, it's just the instrumentals make it harder to make out the lyrics. I might try a sound-mixer to isolate the lyrics, but that's something for later when I've tried everything else. The focus does seem to follow closely to the 1990 World Cup's events so I wonder if there could be any cues from what followed in that tournament. Any help would be appreciated. I figure that there are enough Highlife-loving football fans here who might want to help...

If I had to guess:

(x2)

San Siro is packed (or best?? or back??, or my??).
    Hundreds of us (or hundred thousands?? or hallowed surface?? or honored service),
    before (or with all??) the rest of the world!
    Join in on TV.
    Let's watch and see!
    And then again (or out there??)...
    We are number one!
    We are Soccer Fans!
    We are number one!
    We are Soccer Fans...

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unak78 repped this.
  3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #3 Unak78, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Don't worry, I tried this as well. There isn't an existing transcript anywhere.

As it is I'm actually fairly confident of everything that I've guessed or written outside of the sixth line of the second refrain "And then again". That line continues to baffle me. As with many songs that I try to transcribe for myself I first look for clues in the context, match them with the dialect or style of the song and then make an informed guess. However this is not as possible for this line as it seems that none of the lines either before or after this line necessarily require anymore support than was provided and therefore this line in practice could be a bit of creative superfluous filler needed to make the song's flow continuous. Because of this, it could inform either the previous or succeeding stanzas. This ambiguity makes nailing down it's content a bit more about how the artist chose to bridge the refrain and link its two sections. As it stands, I cannot confidently stand by a single word that I've guessed in that line whatsoever and this is very frustrating.

Using another existing popular song structure, the line could also possibly be call-back to the previous line "Join in on TV", this making the line start with the words "Join in..."; so it could be "Join in again", "Join in the fun", "Join in the stands", "Join clap your hands", or "Join in my friend(s)", but none of these seem to work and completely match what the singer said. The biggest two problems with this approach, for me, is that the line does not seem to start with a consonant sound and the vowel sound that does open the phrase is also either definitively different or at least sung differently for effect.

I'm so close to being able to post this transcript for this great song, but the abiguity of this line gives me pause sadly.