Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Apr 4, 2005.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On April 9th, RSL visits LA for the first time to play in the home opener of the LA Galaxy. This might mark the return of Landon Donovan to the HDC.

Who will win and why?

2. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for RSL to win by a goal because I'm a hometown homer. However, I think the Galaxy will be dangerous coming off a loss. I'm excited to see RSL play a game where you actually are required to touch the ball to have it move.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, LA will want revenge for losing to the Crew in such a sad fashion last week. However I think RSL is also hungry for their first win plus they need a win this week to help get SLC even more excited about their first game on April 16.
    RSL by 1

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Galaxy's problem --> Who is going to score?

Hartman won't be able to save them in this one; their first game at home will be a loss.

:)

5. 0413117

0413117 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    England
    Its one thing wanting revenge and another thing getting it. I think RSL are gonna Dick LA, we'll dominate the game, create lots of chances and win. Inexperience though will be our downfall and we'll only win by one. 3 points to RSL all the same

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll find less experience in the new Sampson-version Galaxy than RSL. There is lots of MLS experience on RSL.

7. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I assume Donovan will be ready this week. Anyone heard otherwise? If he's playing, there's no one who can really mark him out of a game, so LA may be 2 different teams with and without him. Hope he waits out the flu one more game. 3-1 RSL.

8. bnjamin

bnjamin New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have to go with RSL on this. I think they will win 2-1. They have loads of MLS experience which I think will go a long way in this one. My guess is LD will score one if he plays, but that's all that the Galaxy gets. Could be a long season for the Galaxy.

9. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Galaxy are a completely different team at home. In this league of parity, if any one team stands out as having the most demanding fans and being tough to play on the road, it's them. Fans of other teams will agree. A win will be a huge task.

10. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Sampson might just be up to that task...Cobblestone. Ooopss...there's that pessimism creeping in again.

Galaxy take this one...no way will they be able to match their pathetic display from last week...I think.

11. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very true.
    then take in the LD back in MLS situation and likelihood to be in this game...
    It'll be tough to get a result here.

I'm really hoping for RSL to do well, and get SLC on board, and especially since it's on broadcast TV there.
    I just think it's stacked against them.
    I think either a draw or LA by one.

Although however it goes, I hope there are 5 or 6 goals in this one :)

BTW, some of you should check out this MLS prediction game...
    I personally discovered it just before the season started and it seems fun/entertaining.
    If you jump in this week, you won't lose out much on missing the first week....
    http://www.geocities.com/bigsoccerwpl/
    Week 2 thread:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185435&page=1

12. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I personally like Real Salt Lake, however as Cobble stated, no matter how bad Sampson is at coaching, playing at the Home Depot Center seems to redeem him.

Having a fully energized Ramirez(Capt. of Guatemala), a somewhat healthy Donovan, a focused Kirovski and not to mention new veteran Brazilian forward
    Naldo, and add the fact that its the home opener, Salt Lake has a lot stacked against them.

13. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD is playing. You have to give RSL a chance based on how poorly the Galaxy played last week. Their confidence has to be down and I hear no one is liking the coach. There also the we don't want to be the 1st to lose to RSL factor, they may be a little more pumped that the next meeting and its their home opener.

If RSL can win in LA you may see the fastest firing in coaching history, that would not be a bad thing