Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur CL QF L1

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by THFC6061, Apr 4, 2011.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    [​IMG]

Tottenham Hotspur face Real Madrid on Tuesday 5th April 2011 in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals.

The second leg will be played at White Hart Lane on Wednesday 13th April 2011.

The winners of the tie will meet the winners of Barcelona v Shakhtar Donetsk in the Semi-Final.

In 1961, Bill Nicholson instigated Tottenham Hotspur's tradition of playing in an all-white kit for their European matches by telling his players "You look like Real Madrid - now go out there and play like them!"

Spurs and Real Madrid have already met once before in the fourth round (Quarter Finals) of the UEFA Cup in season 1984-85.

Tottenham lost 0-1 at home, which was their first defeat at the Lane in European football since 1961.

Clemence
    Stevens - Perryman - Miller - Hughton
    Chiedozie - Hazard - Hoddle - Galvin
    Falco - Crooks

Subs: Dick & Brooke (Attn: 39,914)​

The return leg at the Bernabéu resulted in a 0-0 draw with Real Madrid progressing to the Semi-Finals where they beat Inter Milan and then on to the Final where they beat Videoton of Hungary 3-1 on aggregate.

Clemence
    Thomas - Perryman - Miller - Hughton
    Hazard - Roberts - Hoddle - Galvin
    Falco - Crooks

Subs: Dick & Brooke (Attn: 90,000)​

Players who have been on the books of both Real Madrid & Tottenham Hotspur include...

David Beckham
    Johnny Metgod
    Rafael van der Vaart
    Jonathan Woodgate

Full details of Tottenham Hotspur's complete record in Europe from 1961 to 2011 available here...

Spurs in Europe 1961-2011

2. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Beckham was never on the books for Tottenham. He was simply given some equipment and a place to train.

3. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    David Beckham was with Spurs as a schoolboy but preferred to join Manchester United instead.

His recent loan deal from LA Galaxy was supposed to have included matches with Spurs but problems with his insurance cover limited his involvement to just training.

[​IMG]

Word has it that Beckham will be joining Spurs after his contract in California expries in November.

4. atlSPURSfan

atlSPURSfan Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    There's also rumors that Beckham will retire and buy an MLS team in Miami.

5. faresaldo

faresaldo New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Does anyone know which hotel are real madrid staying at when they make the trip to london next week?

6. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    The Marriott in Canary Wharf.

Extra helpings of lasagne have been arranged.

7. faresaldo

faresaldo New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are u sure about Marriott CW?

8. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It's an inside joke concerning the final day of the season a few years ago when the Spurs team went down with food poisoning.

9. faresaldo

faresaldo New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Got u however please if you find out where they are staying let me know my son is a huge fan and he would love to meet them

10. Noordinary

Noordinary New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Whatresult will be in this match??

I think 2:1 !

And what about you?!

11. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'd be happy enough if Spurs got an away goal or two and finished the job next week at the Lane.

1-2 or 2-3 to Real Madrid tonight should be OK for us.

12. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1:0

13. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    whenever barca come over , they stay at the hotel across the road from marylebone station. ive seen footage of them getting off their coach and going into the hotel several times when they have played in london. i dont know if this is the same one as real would stay at though, no reason why it would be. when they arrive next week, put some shots online of them getting into their hotel and someone might recognise it.

come on spurs!

real havent conceded a single goal in 4 matches at sb this season, but that spurs attack has goals in it. a patient performance like vs milan, or like liverpool and arsenal did in recent years oin madrid, might lead to a 1-0 win, but its long shot.

14. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seems the real show is Inter vs Schalke tonight!

2-4!!! Schalke leads!

15. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    ugh. tottenham outclassed. tie over. most likely will be a spanish side v an english side at wembley.

16. Noordinary

Noordinary New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
  17. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't overlook schalke if I were you , just as us barca fans are not overlooking shaktar.

18. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    you dont represent barca fans, they also cant stand you on the barca forums, and youve been banned from the english forums. hope you complete the collection and get a red card to go with your yellow very soon.

19. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Red card doesn't matter to me any, but what does that have to do with the game?

20. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    by your logic, what have your comments on my comments about the possible semis have to do with the game? red card asap.

21. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know who you are, nor do I know how you know me as a poster on this board. I just merely said schalke was not a team to overlook, and me having infractions have nothing to do with the champions league.

Unfortunately crouch got sent off which robbed everyone of a competitive game, I'm not sure why you're trying to bait a flame war.

22. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can't really blame the ref for the yellows on Crouch.

23. faresaldo

faresaldo New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Again everyone I need to know Real Madrid's travel plans for next week to London esp name of hotel

24. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    phone the club, maybe it is not confidential.

25. THFC6061

THFC6061 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Israel
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Playing Real Madrid away was never going to be a stroll in the park.

We had already lost players like Ledley King, Jonathan Woodgate, Alan Hutton, Younes Kaboul, Steven Pienaar and Wilson Palacios to injury before the game.

Then we lost Aaron Lennon to illness as the players walked-out for the match.

Harry then decided to play Gareth Bale and Luka Modric out of position to accomodate Jermaine Jenas (why?).

We conceded a soft early goal then Peter Crouch got himself sent-off (no complaints - he was an idiot) within the first 15 minutes.

The only surprise was that Spurs managed to keep the score down to 0-1 by half-time.