REAL MADRID v ROMA I Champions League I 19.09.18 I 21:00 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry for the comparison, but I hope Mariano can become something similar to Diego Costa for us without the douchebaggery. Costa is a quality player and took his time to reach top level after few loan spells. Really came along after a loan spell at Rayo similar to Mariano at Lyon. If Mariano can reach a similar level, that'd solve our CF position for foreseeable future. No one in the market in that position is appealing.

Anon., Shay Z, S1na and 6 others repped this.
  2. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just wait;)

S1na and Deep Pal repped this.
  3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Great football overall. Dominated from the start, missed tons and tons of chances early on, and I think that led the boys to try pressing a little too hard which we saw with those long range efforts. Midfield was great, every single member, but Isco's movement is so key. Watch him off the ball, watch his movement. Watch how he moves from out wide to the middle, drawing a defender or two and opening up space for Marcelo or Dani to get those wide open passes. And when the ball is out wide, watch his runs into the box.

Would really like to see JL use his subs better, the timing of the subs are off. There were feet dragging by the time the second sub was made.

J-Mezzy, Saeta Rubia and temesgen repped this.
  4. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Agree about the movement, I get that Isco isn't perfect but he's doing a lot of key things for the team in the attack, midfield and even with helping defend.

5. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #305 saadomar, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Roma is pretty much the feeder team for Liverpool now. It was hilarious watching them get smashed. It's doubly sweet because they knocked out Basuralona last season.

Losing Salah, Allison and Strootman is a pretty huge disadvantage. We only lost...the greatest scorer in our history, but we might manage after all.

6. rhexis07

rhexis07 Member+

Jan 24, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow that Asensio turn reminded me so much of Zidane's @ 2:30 in the video

He should have done exactly what Zidane did. Lol.

S1na and Raul_Madrid repped this.
  7. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Team played well today, but Roma were really poor. Our finishing was incredibly off though. I'd say out of all of the "big" teams we looked the best considering the opposition.

Isco was understatedly good today even aside from his great FK. That movement off the ball into small pockets in the Roma defense were great to see. Really opened up the play for Bale and the outside backs to do something.

My boy Mariano. What a livewire out there. Dude was so excited to be back. We were crying out for a finisher when we poured it on early. His value will be his versatility and being a different player to Benz.

So did we play an actual 4-3-3 or was it more of a lopsided 4-4-2?

temesgen repped this.
  8. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No love for Casemiro? He was immense today. Without him there wouldn’t be a clean sheet.

Anon., Shay Z, S1na and 5 others repped this.
  9. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Any other team would've scored like 8 goals. So many missed opportunities in this game. Roma was sleepwalking and Real still didn't score until the very end of the first half. There needs to be more clinical finishing next game, because most teams won't step off the ball by about two yards every game.

Prit Javier, Excape Goat and Digital repped this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WHAT A GAME!

Absolute world class performance.

Shay Z and temesgen repped this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    JL post match press conference.

José Aguado - La Razon (Spain)

Aguado:

Hello, Mister[...] Two goals. Lots of opportunities. Perhaps the...

Lopetegui:

THREE goals.

Aguado:

Yes three goals, excuse me. Perhaps the best game since you arrived at Madrid?

Lopetegui:

We have played a great game against a demanding team who were just one goal away from going to the final of the last Champions League[....] It was a complicated game in which we played well and...created many chances. We're happy[....] It has just started but we're happy.

Melchor Ruiz - COPE (Spain)

Ruiz:

Congrats on the win and the great game. Is this the type of performance that is close to what you want (for this team)? And I also wanted to ask; Does Keylor's (Navas) presence as starting goalkeeper today mean that he's going to play in the Champions League (as a starter)?

Lopetegui:

I've been working with the team for about two and a half, three months. (So) the team keeps growing. It keeps improving. This has just started. There is still lots to be done. We have to keep working hard and prepare for the next game (vs. Espanyol)

About the goalkeeping spot, I have taken a decision which I think is a magnificent solution to it. I will add nothing more to that.

Jaime Rodríguez - El Mundo (Spain)

Rodríguez:

We see a Real Madrid that applies high pressure, has teamwork, takes short corners. How do you make a team that has won 3 Champions in a row do so many different things compared to (how they played) last season?

Lopetegui:

By working, training, and it's all merit from the players. They are great players who have a fantastic attitude and they train like animals ever since I've arrived. That always helps the team grow and improve. We will try to get better in our game, both on and off the ball. And we have to continue like this to be able to face the various competitions at hand.

Antón Meana - Cadena Ser

Meana:

How is the relationship with Courtois? He's a goalkeeper that's used to playing, he was the best keeper at the World Cup, and when a coach tells him he's not playing Champions League and that he's sharing a spot with Keylor, how's that moment between the coach and player?

Lopetegui:

Everything is a lot more natural than what you're suggesting. Anything that needs to be said is done with normality and honesty and nothing more. No problems at all."

AS

Journalist:

Hello. How are you Julen? I wanted to ask you about the twenty minutes of Mariano, not only because of his goal, but the way he came out (of the bench). What do you tell him before he gets subbed in and what contributions has the kid made tonight that you think he can keep offering for the rest of the season?

Lopetegui (joking):

I told him to put it in the top corner and he listened to me.

No but what can you say to a kid that's making his debut in the Champions (League) and well, he knows his home, he's from home, and he understands what it feels like to be part of Real Madrid, what the Champions League means for [this team]. He came out like he's supposed to come out, like a Real player, with a great attitude, giving his all for the team, and then he got his reward...scoring a sensational goal. We are very happy for him, of course.

Fernando Burgos - Onda Cero

Burgos:

About Marco Asensio: Today you rotated him; he was the starter in all the previous matches. You brought him out for half an hour, and he was spectacular, basically without any mistake. Did you consider that he was tired, and do you plan on doing the same for other players that also have many minutes under their belts, like Marcelo, Ramos, and Carvajal? Thank you.

Lopetegui:

Well Real Madrid has many good players, and eleven of those play as starters. Normally, we emphasize on those eleven who play, but there are actually fourteen players that are used every game. Many times a player that comes out of the bench can be decisive. A coach has to think about not only those who are playing already but what can happen during a game. The spotlight focuses on the starting eleven but oftentimes those who decide games are the subs.

On that note, I agree, Marco has played a very good game, as well as his teammates. Last game he was a starter, today he played the second half, and he performed well. (inaudible)

Pablo Parra - Radio MARCA

Parra:

I imagine that last season you watched many games of Real Madrid as coach of the [Spanish] national team. And now this season you have the pleasure of being head coach. Do you believe that Gareth Bale, without Cristiano Ronaldo, is more comfortable with his role in the team?

Lopetegui:

No, I won't get involved with those opinions, which I think are surreal, especially on your part. The truth is that we have a great team. We've said it always, and we work to improve it so that all of our players can be able to compete and perform at a high level[....] That is what we try to do and Gareth has played a good game also. But today I wouldn't highlight one or two players. The team in general has done very well in every aspect [....] We've had numerous goal scoring chances [....] Clearly we deserved to win the game, without suffering, and luckily that was the case.

Sergio G. - GOL

Sergio:

(About Isco's performance) I don't know if you also told Isco to shoot the free kick at the top corner just like you did to Mariano...

Lopetegui: (smiling)

Him too. Him too.

Sergio:

And how do you see him physically? Today he played 90 minutes. The other day he was rested in San Mames...

Lopetegui:

Yes, the game was very demanding. In the second half it opened perhaps too much for his interests. There was a lot of back and forth and that is very tiresome. I think Isco also played really well, with the ball, without [it], helping the team, making sacrifices. Also glad about [his] performance. There's Gareth as well, but if we're going to highlight [players] we have [to talk about] about Modric, Toni (Kroos), Case, the center backs. When the team's well, the players come out stronger

Alberto P. - ???

Alberto:

Yesterday you mentioned that there wasn't any pressure in the Champions after what (Real) has achieved. But it's also true that many were keeping an eye on today's debut versus Roma who is the hardest opponent in the group. Do you feel like you've gotten a bit of weight off your shoulders with today's performance?

Lopetegui:

No. I think that we have [just] obtained three points. This has just begun [....] Obviously it's great to start off winning and draw good conclusions, but nothing more. There are still five games left in the Champions League (group stage). We now have to close this episode of the Champions and focus on the most difficult game of the week (next game vs. Espanyol).

(copy pasted from another site)

Excape Goat, meringues, Shay Z and 8 others repped this.
  12. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    I'd say we played football the way this team should play. It looked like 4-4-2 but Bale was free to roam from right to left with Benzema staying centrally and not dropping down as he usually likes to (which is good because he always had CB's focus on him by staying up).

I was afraid when JL started that we might go full on tiki-taka with half of the starting 11 made up of creative midielders and Casemiro marginalised completely.

Bilbao was a huge error on his side in team setup but I see he is learning quickly. That's what really matters.

Bear Crotch repped this.
  13. Prit Javier

Prit Javier Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    May 9, 2018
    Better he scored today then he didn't at all, imagine not scoring for 6-7 games

14. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was my go-to suggestion all summer, even before that, and hopefully, he'll be a very good servant of the club, let's say like Higuain, but I'd (love to) be surprised to see him become a legend of the club.

15. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Notice how every time jornalisys try to praise and elevate an individual from the squad in these press conferences lopetegui says yes but so and so players also played very well, he always makes sure to emphasize the team as opposed to any individuals which is something I love about him; this has translated into our play as well, everyone is in it for the team.
    Our players are starting to behave this way as well, when Bale was asked if he was the leader now that Ronaldo has left, he said no, we’re a team, we’re all the leaders now, amazing to hear as a fan.

S1na and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  16. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie, Anon., Excape Goat and 4 others repped this.
  17. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Nice trolling. :D

Prit Javier repped this.
  18. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given what we have seen early on in terms of rotation...

Are Isco and Asensio going to be competing for 1 spot in the XI all season long? Are they going to rotate? Do we believe either one will receive preferential treatment over the other in big games? Does either have an edge already?

Two very different players. Asensio is quicker and more direct in the attack. Isco helps distribute the ball around and maintain long stretches of possession. It's almost a totally different change in style and tempo when one or the other is on the pitch.

19. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    It depends on the game,
    All of the following combinations will happen this season

Isco Casimero Kroos
    Modric Kroos Isco
    Ceballos Kroos Isco
    Bale Benz Isco.

So only the back four, Kroos, Benz and to some extent Bale won’ t be competing with Isco.

20. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Asensio will be standard upfront alongside Benzema and Bale - of course in the long run. While in midfield i think we can expect much more rotation for Modrić and Casemiro.

21. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Casemiro was looking much more comfortable on the ball under pressure, his passing was much better. The defensive contribution was amazing as usual as well.

Hsain85 repped this.
  22. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's exactly what I was thinking when we signed him but didn't want to say it out loud. He really does remind me of Diego Costa type of #9 without the ugly filthy football. He's someone who'll make the defenders need to be concentrated for 90 minutes otherwise he's there to poach on any mistake. He'll be key as well in opening spaces for the other forwards & midfielders coming from the back

23. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Guy is like a heavy duty fire extinguisher.

24. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just watched the match...

Everyone played well but I agree with the special shout-out to Casemiro, he was really really good last night. As were Ramos and Varane.

I still would like to see a little more effort carrying the ball into spots to collapse defenders instead of simply moving it out to the flank every time we get into an advanced position.

Obviously the goal was brilliant but I was impressed with what Mariano did as far as passing, creativity, and movement.

3 points well earned.

S1na, MiamiNative0722 and natenate101 repped this.
  25. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also did I correctly hear the Bernabeu singing a Balon d'Or chant for Luka?

Eddie, S1na and MiamiNative0722 repped this.