Reagan Democrats Coming Home?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Soccernova78, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Big trouble for the GOP if they are indeed coming home:

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If Democrats take more socially conservative positions, the "Reagan Democrats" will definitely come home.

3. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Circle gets the square.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    If people are starting to realize that baby Jesus can't fill that giant f*cking hole in your wallet, then that's a good thing for common sense and reason.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everyone has a big hole in their wallets. Most of us in this country are doing quite well, thank you.

Especially the people that vote

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe the term everyone was used. However, many are hurting because of hollow promises from the republicans. Many of those people vote too.

7. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be willing to wager that a large % of the people in America that are doing "quite well" have built that comfortable feeling on debt.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *raises hand*

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BFD.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Brooks has been covering this from a slightly different angle. He's making the case that suburban voters are switching to the dem brand this year. The reeps have huge problems, but none more so than the accountability issue. Rational thinking people are wondering why Rummy keeps his job and Tenet and Bremer get the medal of freedom.

This problem is continualy reinforced. Last night, 60 Minutes led with a story on how $800 million is missing from Iraq, and the US is doing NOTHING about it.

The reeps have another big problem - and that has to do with the nationalizing of the reep brand. Since the 94 elections, the reeps have succeeded in nationalizing the elections, first by attacking Clinton and the sleazy congressional dems, then by the war on terrrrr, and also by the crazed right-wing talk show programs promoting the far-right agenda. This national branding has worked really well. Its like going to Chile's anywhere in the country. It can comforting to know exactly what you're going to get for dinner.

Now, the national reep program is on the rocks - Katrina, scandals, the lack of accountability, Iraq, you name it. Reeps are scrambling to localize each election, but they can't get away from their long-term branding strategy.

This leaves the Reagan dems to come back to the fold. I don't know if I agree with that completely. I believe its the independents who have abandoned the reeps. Look at every issue - the indies are far more aligned with the dems than they are with the reeps. The Pelosi piece on 60 Minutes sure didn't hurt, either.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is if interest rates go up.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this was right before the Nancy Pelosi cricle jerk, right?

13. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Off subject, but . . . Brooks can be so frustrating. Most of the time, he is merely reductive, but ocassionally he really does identify an interesting trend.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Over a quarter of US households earn less than $25,000.

Define "quite well."

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of that quarter votes?

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about that, given the stagnant wages. My pay has barely outpaced inflation under the Bush Administration, and I got a big raise during that time - without the big pay jump when I moved jobs I'd be behind. And I know I'm not the only one. Tuition costs at my (public) alma mater have increased at 4 times the rate of inflation, and now costs twice what it did when I graduated in 2000.

Then again, I live in one of the economically roughest states in the nation. We lost a huge percentage of manufacturing jobs since 2000. (I can't remember the number off the top of my head, but it's substantial. 20%-ish.)

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you are doing fine to me. Plus, not eveyone has their own church.

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, not many. http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/voting/cps2004.html

Only about half of the people in that income class are registered, and only about half of them voted - so about 25%. OTOH, nearly 75% of "middle/upper-middle class" citizens ($40-$100K) are registered, and about 70% of those people voted - so about 50%.

The real winners in voting turn out are "wealthy" people - $100K+. 82% registration, and 78% turnout - or about 64% turnout.

It was rather enlightening to look that up. There is little suprise that gov't tax policy favors the rich - those are the people who show up to vote. Doing some quick math, that 16 million votes from "wealthy" people, 30 million votes from the middle/upper-middle class, 6 million lower-middle class, and less than 9 million from the lower class.

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting by. Don't know that I'm better off than I was 6 years ago.

Hear you about the Church.

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bloody mary's and steaks for everyone!

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real point here is that UConn is going to destroy Rutgers's hopes and dreams this weekend.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut your mouth, Bullwinkle.

Rutgers is gonna play Ohio State in Arizona this year.

24. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No freakin joke. I can thank reeps in the state legislature for deregulation for that.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lil' U Conn?