Ready or Not, Wyclef Jean.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Aug 6, 2010.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wyclef Jean to run for President.

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-J2nvGQPLk"]YouTube- ‪Official: Wyclef Jean to Run for Haiti President‬‎[/ame]

Will this work?

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q2F6h_Ap6A"]Nas feat. Lauryn hill- If I ruled the world[/ame]

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, right. I want to see his birth certificate.

4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm voting for will.i.am so He.Will.Stop. making crap records.

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Does he have to take a pee test?

6. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, his campaign song, or rather campaign style?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAUFnzN4tg&feature=av2n"]YouTube- ‪Wyclef Jean - If I Was President‬‎[/ame]

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what kind of president he'd be, except to note that not fucking up massively would put him well ahead of most of Haiti's previous rulers.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The bar in Haiti is far lower than California for the Govenator and Minnesota for Jesse The Body. So this will be entertaining if anything.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Haiti? I hope not :)

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's uncorruptible and capable of keeping the world's attention on Haiti's plight. That's a powerful and unique combination. They might not know it yet, but this may be the best news for Haitians in years...

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    If the first part is true, then I agree (no reason to think its not, I'm just ever the skeptic).

He also has true passion for his country which I don't believe past presidents/dictators have had. They just wanted power over an exploitable country.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    People forget, but you can throw Ronald Reagan into this category as well. When he was elected governor of California, he had no real experience beyond the Screen Actors Guild. He had become an activist in the party in much the same way that you see George Clooney these days. In other words, not necessarily out in front all the time, but truly committed to their principles.

Interestingly, I think all of these people have worked out pretty well.

I've always scoffed at the notion that famous people should keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics. In reality, all people should think first before talking unless they are committed to the point that they can form an educated opinion on issues. When they do that, I have no problem with Dennis Miller or Matt Damon being vocal advocates. They know their shit.

Then you have absolute disasters on both sides of the aisle like Victoria Jackson.

On a side note, my brother still lives in Kansas and HATES Obama. He listens to all of the worst conservative radio and is one big talking point of misinformation. He also is an old school music guy. So, he was all excited to go see original Beetle Paul McCartney a week or two ago but left the Sprint Center fuming because McCartney put some pictures of Obama up on the screen during the show. :D

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough on the skepticism. My thinking was that not only is a successful and rich artist less likely to be tempted by graft, but their high profile image would make them less likely to be approached and more likely to be discovered.

Basically, corruption likes dark alleys. And Wyclef isn't really the dark alley type.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    That's why I said I had no reason to think he would be influenced, but I still would never write off the possibility that some thug called him and said, "psst, wyclef . . . . I can MAKE you the President of Haiti . . ."

Assuming his cleanliness, the other problem is that a clean president can be completely ineffective in a corrupt system.

15. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the much more likely scenario.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    This is the same person that couldn't keep track of his own charity and may have even raided it? I'm sure Wyclef's a nice guy (OK, I'm not even sure of that), but running a country and raising awareness for its plight are not the same thing.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    It will be interesting to see how he meets or bypasses the "constitutional requirements, including having lived in Haiti for five consecutive years leading up to the election".

18. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    He is incorruptible? He owes like $2 million in back taxes and was caught using his charity's money for personal expenditures!

19. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    How about if the president doesn't speak the same language as 90% of his countrymen?

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If we elected George W. Bush, I don't see how that disqualifies him.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's practically grounds for Haitian sainthood isn't it?

22. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    A musician head of state? Next we will have actors running.

EDIT - Late to the party.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, he did his best as far as his circumstances allowed him to do. Give him a chance at the bigger pie, and lets see what he's capable of.

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't aware of his dodgier issues until this thread. Given his past, I'll give it a coin flip: Savior McDogooder vs El Capitan Musical Has Been lookin' for a lucrative career change.

25. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lil birdies had been saying he's on the run from the IRS taxman a bit, or something with Yele hadn't been settled. So then being a President might give him, well, as was said in a Lethal Weapon movie, Diplomatic Immuuuuuunityyyyyyyy.