Re-Set for Rec Soccer

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Jan 17, 2018.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I've been working with a u5-u8 mixed teams since Fall. I have 14 years of rec and comp coaching experience and I have decided - along with my G05, that we can do more for kids who are not ready to commit or lack resources.

We've taken a developmental approach with our players and engaged parents in that concept as well. We've quickly changed a culture for our program that gets parents focused on mental development just as much - even more so in some cases over winning.

- We ask them to promote curiosity of the sport and to support their players when they try new things on the field.

- We are focusing on terms and concepts - for example for Fall the u8 group focused on Open Spaces, Distributing & Settling. We build out competitive level drills which they are more then capable of participating in. In fact 3 of our u8 players developed so well that we went with a 2-1-1 and had them manage the field in the center back and mid positions - this enabled to expand our terms to these players in a deeper mental state.

- We integrated dev with parents by often speaking with them - that the bad shot on goal was more than just kicking a ball... That in employeed an awareness of the field, a decision and finally an execution.

- We intorduced 3v3 and Open Play on the weekends - no coaching for either.

Now I Director of Soccer for the Rec and have to push this down to volunteer coaches... Input would be great - any ideas or concepts to make Rec more affordable while at the same time improving the level of play. I don't believe that kids who are 5-8 years old should have to pay $1,500.00 per season to play in D and C leagues.

I created this group in the even any of you are involved in Rec and want to join the battle to change the culture and provide more for our young players in our biggest pool - https://www.facebook.com/Recreational-Soccer-Association-584731411873985/

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  2. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Rec not already affordable? Just looking at leagues in my area, they cost between $80-$95 per season.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    There are a multitude of kids who cannot afford shoes and so on. So from the bat they do not have access to rec soccer programs - or think they don't. Some programs get donations or have a surplus which is designed to be directed towards these folks - some do not.

There is also a used goods drop box that I am starting to help provide free goods like shoes to those who need them.

As you mentioned - cost is somewhat low. I would be surprised as to what you are defining as "per season". Most of the lower costing programs are $80-$90 perseason - so $200 aprox for Fall and Spring. When you have 2-3 four or five year olds, that can be expensive for a young family. So there can be adjustments made there.

We are $90 per Fall/Spring - so $180 to be exact (less the kit) I think I can knock that down to $60-$70 then add in free 3v3 year round - that's a savings in cost and an increase in services.

Now that I am saving them - they can potentially use that savings to play indoor games or training with an A licensed coach.