RC Valencia RSL v MU

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Ickshter, Jul 18, 2017.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having met Herb Silva I often question his judgement when it comes to the professional game. Especially when he starts talking about the referee being a performer in the event.

He knows the game better than i ever will but he has been drinking kool aid for a long time.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't think there can be any serious doubt that at the professional level the referee is a performer in the event. The referee has a broad and unavoidable role in the center of the event. To manage the game/event, the referee needs strong stage presence. I think the actual question is what kind of performer the referee should be.

3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Herb got his start in pro refereeing in the original MISL. This probably influenced his approach and he carried it forward
    to the outdoor game when he became involved in the admin side of the refereeing.
    Clearly MISL was primarily a show, and not really a true soccer/football event. The referees were there to assist with
    the entertainment, just like in Harlem Globetrotters games and wrestling.
    Although there is an entertainment factor in the outdoor 11/side pro league games, the referee is supposed to be more
    of a real referee, to enforce the rules of a sporting contest and uphold the integrity of the game. The players provide the entertainment.

However, these types of exhibition matches have become (or always were in this case) more of a show to generate revenue,
    thus leading to the bending/breaking of the LOTG that we see. No-one should take these games seriously as a true sporting contest. They are traveling roadshows, not far removed from the idea of a circus.
    Tournaments such as the current Gold Cup also are falling into this category, and from what we have seen recently, unfortunately the World Cup seems to be headed in the same direction.

PH

RedStar91 and akindc repped this.
  4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice way of putting it. I don't think the quoted passage from Herb is the altruistic kind that keeps the integrity of the job intact though. My opinion.