Rapids Viewing without Cable/Satellite

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by SccrDon, Jan 24, 2019.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Colorado Springs and generally make a few Rapids home matches a season but watch most home and road matches on TV. I'm evaluating cutting off our DirecTV subscription. Is there a way to watch Rapids matches live without having cable or satellite TV?

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Live I'm not sure about. I stream my TV via Roku. I have the ESPN+ app ($4/month) that streams all MLS & USL matches. Most of the time the Rapids live matches are blacked out but within an hour or so of its conclusion the stream is made available for replay. If I don't attend the match this is how I watch the Rapids. It's also how I watch the Switchbacks.

JasonMa, wormhole and SccrDon repped this.
  3. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know of any option to watch live without wading into at least one gray area - even paying for ESPN+. (I do recommend getting ESPN+). There's no commitment - so if you're just interested the the domestic leagues you can cancel during the off season.

DirecTV used to offer account holds - for up to 6 consecutive months. I don't know if they still have that option. Had to call and speak to a rep. During the hold your account stays open and you get to keep any leased equipment. It's how our family got away. After 4 months we decided we didn't miss it - so we rang them back and cancelled.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Legally" no, not live at least. The only options for non-nationally televised Rapids games is to have a cable/satellite contract. You could use a VPN to try to get around the ESPN+ blackout but they tend to frown on that and often change their interface to try to block people doing that (with mixed results).

SccrDon repped this.
  5. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Paranoid Coyote, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Genuinely curious: What law does VPN use for circumventing geoblocking break?*

It's a TOS violation for sure, but that's civil not criminal.

*This statement is not intended to condone VPN use to circumvent geoblocking.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus the “legally” in quotes, because I couldn’t come up with a better word at that moment to describe TOS violations. Plus it also covered other methods, that would be illegal, of acquiring the signal without a contract.

7. Droogie

Droogie Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Is this true? Within an hour or a few hours of the conclusion of a Rapids game on ESPN+ you can watch the replay? Can the scores be suppressed? This is great news if true.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season ESPN+ (or whoever controlled the feed) was pretty consistent in the 1-3 hour window for full matches. You could see the highlights within minutes of its conclusion. The annoying part....you could see the score before clicking the match. However, I suspect that will change as ESPN+ has changed the "replay" function with no scores visible for the English Championship, Dutch Eredivisie, Serie A, etc. Very straightforward.

9. Droogie

Droogie Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Awesome! Fingers crossed on them not showing scores.

10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sure, make me read through the DMCA instead of doing it for me! :D

I just can't imagine that our legislative branch was informed enough to put that scenario in there, but I've been having problems sleeping lately so some dry reading might be in order.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I always cross my eyes and make everything blurry before selecting the match.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did, too! Close eyes, point, click and shoot. 90% of the time I still failed. Very Badji-esque. Strike that.....Very Rapids-eqsue.

13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to watch a Rapids match on ESPN+ without knowing the score. :D
    1. Wait at least 24 hours after the match ends. Nobody will be talking about the match anywhere - at work, on the street, around town. There's zero danger of accidentally hearing the score.
    2. Log in to ESPN+. The match won't be featured on the visible games. Nobody else would want to see it anyway.
    3. Use the sidebar for "other matches" and click on the Rapids match. The scores aren't visible on the irrelevant / unimportant / why bother sidebar matches because nobody cares about them anyway.

Centennial, m vann and pdid10 repped this.