Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are not aware of many of the facts of the case
    There's a thorough discussion of this in the SC thread and the main Trump thread.

I'm guessing you guys aren't keeping up on the thread where we have been talking about this, figuring this was the spot for it. In order to avoid rehashing old stuff, I invite you to the other 2 threads.

sitruc, taylor and stanger repped this.
  2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the story is relevant in this thread specifically because of comments like taylor's. "37 years ago!!!!!"
    The idea that there should be some temporal limitation on public scrutiny of prior sexual misconduct is a dog whistle for the "boys will be boys " mentality which is the essence of the issues covered in this thread.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Too be clear 1)
    How the hell is a guy suppose to defend himself? His friend said no he didn't. They were drunk and blurry at age 17!!! Lol

2) pelosi knew about this three months ago. The moment metoo starts to be used as a political football it looses serious legitmacy.
    How many crazy Republican women will start to use this "political trick" against Dem Justice nominees?

3) yeah time matters. 35-37 years is rediculous. It is. If she felt this way she had 35 years prior to go public and instead uses this opportunity as a political weapon. It's disgusting that Dems don't see this and it's disgusting that more woman arent outraged.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. She's been talking about this for a few years now...PRIVATELY.
    2. You say she's using this as a political weapon...how is that working out for her personally? Try to put yourself in her shoes...how is this affecting her husband and child/children?
    3. I knew her back in college. People change, but she wasn't some left wing SJW back then. You're assuming she's a political animal. If she were, given her class status, she'd have a much, much longer record of political donations. Perhaps she's just a crime victim?

sitruc repped this.
  5. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Abuse of legitimate metoo:
    1) pelosi sitings on this till 11th hour. If seriius even under anynomous it should have been immediately reported period.
    It was not.

2) why come out now? From a very minimum appearance wise and the type of "aqusation" it is a political operation. A bad one a desperate attempt to postpone nomination to see see if Dems get both houses.

3) I am not at all sorry to say this a woman who is in therapy and wants to accused a public figure of something is slander and nothing more. He has no way to defend himself and only leaves a public stain which the Republican s WILL definitely copy for Dem justices.

Therefore metoo becomes a wedge issue and looses by defenition its apolitical legitimacy.

Edited because my cellphone spell check hates english.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noise.

I'm talking about the shirt issue as well, which came first.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's not sexual assault, either. We can talk about those things, but they belong in a gender issues/sexism thread, not here. In my view.

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Anyway, the issue isn't how long before you can dismiss her. The issue is whether one believes her or not, and if one does, how much slack do you cut him for "that was then not now."

It isn't and shouldn't be "That was thirty-seven years ago so I'll just ignore it." It might be "he was fourteen he learned better by now." Only there's a bigger difference between 14 and 17 than there is 17 and 25, and he was 17.. The child is father to the man; who do you believe, and how much do you care? And why?

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brother Jed and his squadron (Sister Cindy used to travel with him; there was a younger one too whose name I can't remember) were at UVa a couple of times a year during the mid-80s. They always used to draw a crowd of people entertained by engaging with them. When Brother Jed announced that the end of the world was nigh, an acquaintance of mine sensibly asked him "how nigh?"

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, russ, JohnR and 1 other person repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I don't think Feinstein handled it the best, but she was also concerned about privacy. Tough call.

As for the woman, that is victim blaming. She mentioned this to someone in 2002, in 2012, and in 2017, all with consistency.

Additionally, this other guy (forget his name), is really a shit. He's almost as bad as that guy who wrote the "How to an Asshole to women and still get laid."

But, there is a secondary issue here - this was as physical, attempted sexual assault. Not a bit of graffiti or a broken window, but an attack on another human. And there is plenty of research that shows people who have been sexually assaulted wait years to report it.

As for abuse of power...well, who nominated this Kavanagh? Republicans. And they are the ones who hold power. This is also something which anybody serious doing the vetting would have discovered, probably. But this is as much a sign of the Kavanagh as it is of the White House.

sitruc repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for posting. That is good.

As a side note, this sentence was striking -

I had not seen that before.

13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess I am old school and believe a person is only guilty until proven guilty. This douchebag judge cannot defend himself. It’s his word and a witness vs. this woman her THERAPIST notes and husband IN THERAPY.

I am just flabergasted how you guys don’t see it this way..

Edit.. lol OH SEEMS SHE WONT TESTIFY. WHICH HUNT. #metooabuse

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They don't have your Zeiss lenses, lol

sitruc and taylor repped this.
  15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When being accused in a court of law, yes.

This isn't a court of law. This is consideration for whether or not to put someone on the Supreme Court. No one is entitled to a position on the Supreme Court.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Come on. He went to Georgetown Prep and Yale. He's the best money can buy.

So what if we don't know whose money we're talking about.

sitruc repped this.
  17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yet anyone is entitled to accusation regardless of merit and permanent damage? Why not yell fire in a theater instead?

This is a dangerous rabbit whole you guys are going done. To stain a man, regardless of what a douchebag he is, behavior of a feckless kunt, to quote Bee.

This woman most likely will come out with some serious mental issues and metoo will burn. It is absurd how quickly this douchebag is being put to the tourch.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor, the points you’re making are good ones in the abstract. But they rarely fit the facts of this specific case.

Did you read the article I linked?

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I read it just now.

I swear before I read the article just now I going to write that I bet she is a psychology professor. I was a public policy Prof at a big ten school for a while and the psych profs are some of the THE CRAZIEST profs in the entire (world) academic industry.

I guess in full disclosure I also had an a crazy ass student go to the dean and report "inappropriate behaviour". So there is that.

Obviously it was absolute complete bullshit. It was easily dismissed but there was still a stain on my rep that could not be washed away. What did I do? She wanted to do a PhD after masters and so I invited her to a bar to talk about it just as I did my male PhD candidates. The vox article is not relevant to my situation as it is not relevant to douche bag.

when I see a PSYCH PROF with all these political footballs, pelosi manipulating, it completely deligitamizes metoo. What happens for example if it leaks out that this chick has mental health problems etc.? Has she mademsimiliar accusations about adeother mn? How will it look when a woman abused metoo to advance the agenda of women's rights to protect roe v. Wade? Not only that but we burned a man without due process?

My only hope is that pelosi sat on this so long cause there was something suspussussly about her story.

Either this guy is innocent until PROVEN guilty or do not yell fire in a building. Using this dirty and disgusting to try and take down a douchebag does not advance the metoo movement, instead it critically deligitamizes it. You can't just yell fire in the 11th hour and not expect dramatic consequences.

20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is only an evidential presumption in criminal proceedings.

It does not exist in the day to day world.

For instance if you are going for a promotion, but there is a complaint on your HR file that you are too flirty with interns, you may be passed over despite it not being proven.

This is the normal risk analysis sentient humans deploy on a day to day basis.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    For me this is the most annoying thing

The confirmation process is not only about the internal qualities of the candidate, but the suitability of the individual to judge for the citizens of America on the highest court in the land.

So if you have a whiff of scandal about you that could bring the Court into disrepute - tough shit.

There are other, better candidates who have a clean slate.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I posted about this in the other thread but I think it is also appropriate here.

Botham Jean is the perfect example of rushing out a narrative for low information media audience, yet is based only on the bare assertions of the defendant

Like with Pistorius, there is actually no primary evidence (known to us) that the Cop's story is remotely credible, yet it is already established as what happened for many viewers, or at least something to be rebutted.

This is precisely why the victim's "voice" is seldom heard - especially in domestic murder cases (frequently of women, children etc) - but also in other cases like rape.

The starting point should not be the narrative of the person accused or his/her media surrogates

"abuse of metoo" power becomes a talking point even before any primary evidence is on the table.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor I concede the point in your fifth paragraph that if things are different they will be different.

What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub? How would that affect his case? Discuss.

But it’s good that you read the article. Now you know false accusations basically never come 35 years later. That’s obvious because false accusations are almost always due to mental issues on the part of the accuser.

I would also suggest there is a vast difference between a woman accusing you of harassment, presumably more or less contemporaneous with the events she alleged, and a woman accusing someone of attempted rape 35 years later, AFTER talking about it with her husband and a therapist. To the point of your analogy being silly.

PS...he wants to be on the Supreme Court. He’s not entitled to due process for that. You are again wrong on the facts of the case.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it was Diane Feinstein, not Nancy Pelosi. Are all these wimming the same to you?

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nancy Pelosi is guilty of everything. Everything.

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.