Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th.../ar-AAyqdsc?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehpbigsoccer.com

No wonder nobody hires these idiots fresh out of HS, even with their shiny new AP-enhanced GPAs. Lulabel, if you want to make a statement, skip the damn event entirely, with all of your classmates, and say why you did. It's high school. Being val of your HS class is insignificant. Do you REALLY think someone's not going to go parent/bully and silence your voice?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's a Yahoo! story, meaning I'm not necessarily believing a word of it, aside from the basic fact: A girl was sentenced to life at age 16 with no possibility of parole until age 51.

Even if you don't believe the extremely extenuating circumstances that the article alleges, how can we as a society pass a 35-year minimum sentence on a 16 year old?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sex-trafficking-survivor-cyntoia-brown-165200293.html

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's actually a NBC News story. Not that I'm saying it makes it more credible.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the social media generation. Some may be savvy enough to know that their mic will get cut and have a friend film this and then post it to social media, thus generating the coverage.

One of things we should have learned from the MSD shooting is how a good social media presence from high school students is equal to the best who are out there.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But to the contrary, what evidence do you have that this does happen. We know it does, but you are suggesting that the research which says false accusations are rare, is not really accurate. If that is the case, I'd like to know what you have. I do believe (know) that false rape accusations by White women of Black men do happen, still (continuing), but I have no idea how often this happens which is why I'd like to see some research on it. And I'd also like to know how it trends going back 5 or 10 years. Additionally, this is also something which is now more likely to get reported accurately and bluntly with more and more Black journalists being allowed to report from the Black perspective, as well as Black news outlets/Black Twitter.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://nypost.com/2018/07/07/airman-gets-year-in-prison-for-raping-14-year-old-runaway/

DOVER, Del. — An airman stationed at Delaware’s Dover Air Force Base has pleaded guilty to raping and endangering a runaway 14-year-old girl.

WDEL-FM reports 22-year-old Zepplin Ray Taylor-McGinness was sentenced Friday to a year in prison, followed by probation.

Dover Police M. Cpl. Mark Hoffman has saidauthorities were contacted in November 2017 by the girl’s guardian who learned the girl was staying at a local apartment complex. Officers went to the complex and found the teen and then 21-year-old Taylor-McGinness.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over and Over again
    July 9, 2018
    Kelly Conheeney

https://ckelly919.wixsite.com/website-1/single-post/2018/07/09/Over-and-Over-again

I’m a victim of sexual abuse and those feelings of self doubt, mistrust in myself and others, anxiety, insecurity, shame and guilt, still linger. I still have those moments where I wonder if I’m good enough to play at this level. I still expect more from myself than I can give. I still care too much about what my coach thinks. I still beat myself up over a bad game. I still put on the mask some days. I still wonder if I will really know what to do when I have to hang up my cleats for good. And I still love this g-d damn game more than anything in the world. These feelings are all a part of me, but they don’t control me anymore.

He doesn’t control me anymore.

I won. but you won’t see that statistic anywhere.

•It’s taken me a lot of years to get to this point and a lot of tears to write this out. It’s raw and real and all of me. Share with as many people as you care to. Thank you for listening. Write, message, reach out If you need someone to talk to, I’m here for you and I believe you•

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You couldn't use italics or something, to indicate the context of who's speaking, could yer? Otherwise it looks like this kinda thing...

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How often does "administrative leave" end with termination? I'm leaning toward they should get him gone, but I don't know they they will.
    Nassar-esque wrestling staff, wifebeater football assistants, Steubenville... wtf is in the water up there?

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been reluctant to comment because we didn't really know much about the situation, but I'm pretty sure Urban isn't going to be fired.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Does anybody besides me have a problem with the film director James Gunn being fired? He made a bunch of dumb-ass tweets a decade ago, the equivalent of the "dead baby" jokes than ran through my junior high. Tacky, classless stuff, and very much not funny.

OK bad.

On the other hand, it had been many years since he had posted them, and -- what seals the deal for me -- he was outed by people who truly did not give a shit. They surfaced these jokes as a personal attack, to try to take him down (because he is anti Trump). The lead instigator himself has a history of pedophilia postings ... but his side (pro Trump) doesn't care about that. This was not a campaign in search of justice. It was a campaign in search of one-way punishment, to get the anti-Trump guy even though the pro-Trump guy did the same thing.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-...he-galaxy-disney-offensive-tweets-1202430392/

I understand that bad behavior deserves punishment, but when the right won't do so, and it uses the left's willingness to punish so as to manipulate the left into unilateral disarmament, well yeah I do have a problem with that.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yes. It's remarkably stupid. It is also the eventual consequence of the current climate of mob warfare.

Dr. Wankler, Naughtius Maximus and JohnR repped this.
  14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The daft thing is it's one of the aspects of tabloids like the daily hate-mail that people despise so much that NOTHING is just 'a bit disappointing', or 'rather unfortunate'. Everything has to be 'an outrage' or 'disgusting'.

More recently the left has started going the same way.

There's no such thing as a minor infraction or a comment being just 'ill-considered' or 'not properly thought through'. It has to necessitate an all-out nuclear response.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't have an answer. When you're facing a mob, there isn't room or time for measured responses.

JohnR repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    "Both Sides Do It."

Your naîvete is, as always, breathtaking.

superdave repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, I am very angry about this.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Mmhmm. Tell me more, stud.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's like asking a rape victim why she didn't just reason with her 300 pound attacker- or throw him to the ground.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's nothing remotely like that.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I understand why the guy tried to get his conviction overturned, but did he in all honesty think it would succeed? He was caught in the act of raping an unconscious woman. If he doesn't end up on the sex offender registry, who should?

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you see as audacity,the privileged white upper class sees as a reasonable case to dismiss a youthful indiscretion.

fatbastard, Belgian guy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #7148 Dr. Wankler, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Poor people. People of color. Ugly people. People who can't get into elite universities.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    People with multiple convictions. Those who have demonstrated a pattern.

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a typical knee-jerk, twitter mob mentality response.

********ing stupid.