Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I'm no longer easily shocked when it comes to this kind of stuff, but this stat did leave me speechless.

This is also why you should be very dubious of any university which claims to have no instances of rape. It's virtually impossible for that to be true and it only means they don't have the proper tools in place to make sure that female students can safely report the crime.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should. According to the article, it comes from a survey of 86 people. How did that get published?

ceezmad, Auriaprottu and Moishe repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Story about a top college pitcher at Otegon State, Luke Heimlich. He admitted at age 16 that he sexually abused his niece when she was aged 4 thru 6. The writer breaks it down as two Lukes. The one who accepted his guilty plea and the other Luke who's vague, insists he's innocent & got "bad advice" in pleading guilty. Many MLB teams are not even scouting him because they think the abuse plea makes him toxic even though he's a top talent. It was only widely known because an Oregonian sports reporter did a simple background check before running a story on Heimlich. Intersection of child sexual abuse, the juvenile justice system & big-time college athletics and how they handle these situations.

The first thing to understand about a baseball game involving Luke Heimlich—the Oregon State pitcher who in 2012 pleaded guilty to one felony charge of molesting, at 15, his six-year-old niece, who nevertheless claims innocence, who this season leads the nation in wins—is just how normal it can feel. Nestled mid-campus in Corvallis, Goss Stadium hews to game-day rituals seen forever in ballparks big or small, coast to coast: No matter the paycheck or persona or police record, each player comes packaged the same old way. It is one of the sport's charms...

...The first Luke will make that difficult. The second youngest of eight children, Heimlich grew up in the Tacoma suburb of Puyallup. His father, a construction manager, is an ordained pastor, and his mother is a social worker who home-schooled all the kids in a rambling four-bedroom, 7,000-square-foot house on the outskirts of town. According to the probable cause document, filed in Pierce County Juvenile Court on March 29, 2012, it was there, when Luke's parents were looking after their granddaughter while the girl's parents worked, that the girl was left alone with Luke.

According to the document, which alleged that Heimlich committed two counts of "child molestation in the first degree," the girl told investigators that Heimlich brought her to the floor in the middle of his bedroom, "pulled down her underwear and with his hand he touched her private part... . She said that she told him to stop, but he wouldn't." The girl also said that "Uncle Luke" ...  "touched her on both the inside and outside of the spot she uses to go to the bathroom. She said that it hurt her... . She said that the first time the respondent touched her she was four years old and that she was six years old the last time he did this."

Three months after the girl's first mention of illicit contact, in the fall of 2009, her mother and father, one of Luke's brothers, finalized their divorce after seven years of marriage. The mother insists that a custody dispute had no bearing on the accusations, saying that she never raised concerns about Luke and her daughter in custody proceedings. Luke's brother has maintained majority custody ever since. He was the one who, after questioning his daughter in 2011, initiated what would become legal action against Luke by taking her to a Child Advocacy Center, where he shared her accounts and allowed a forensic interview. He and Luke have barely spoken since. Asked if such silence indicates that his brother doesn't believe him, Luke said, "I don't know."

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/16/luke-heimlich-oregon-state

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Plus, it's a tricky thing to survey people about what they would do in extreme situation. If somebody pulled a gun on you, would you -

a) Run away?
    b) Scream?
    c) Play dead?
    d) Attack him?

I'm going with e) Whatever I say now doesn't matter, because if that were to actually happen my emotions would take over.

It may be that one third of men would rape an unconscious woman. But I don't know how to know that without putting one in front of them.

superdave repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I doubt you'd get funding for that research.

roby repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or volunteers.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had a fake account so I could make a Heimlich Maneuver joke.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/c...lpha-epsilon-pi-court-documents-20180517.html

Temple University frat president in trouble for allegedly getting rapey.

The former president of a Temple University fraternity, charged this week with attempted rape, is accused of trying to force a 19-year-old woman to perform sex acts on him in his bedroom at the fraternity house, grabbing her by the wrists, digging his knee into her thigh, and telling her to “shush” as she was crying, according to court documents.

Ari Goldstein, 21, of Wrightstown Township, Bucks County, is charged with attempted rape, indecent assault, simple assault, and other counts.​

Temple should probably shut down Alpha Epsilon Cosby.

soccernutter and Belgian guy repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up, Morgan Freeman.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html

Interesting how it started:

One of the three, CNN entertainment reporter Chloe Melas, the co-author of this article, says she was subjected to inappropriate behavior by Freeman more than a year ago, when she interviewed him at a press junket for "Going in Style." According to Melas, who was six months pregnant at the time, Freeman, in a room full of people, including his co-stars Arkin and Caine, shook Melas' hand, not letting go while repeatedly looking her up and down and saying more than once a variation of, "I wish I was there." She says he also said to her, "You are ripe." Cameras were on and recording during one of Freeman's remarks to Melas -- "Boy, do I wish I was there" -- but not for the rest. As is common practice with such junkets, Melas was the only CNN employee there at the time.

After the encounter with Freeman, Melas started making calls to see if other women had experienced anything similar, or whether this was an isolated incident. She soon learned that other women had similar stories -- and so she, and later her co-author, began this months-long reporting process.

This is a bit chilling...

Several other times during this investigation, when a CNN reporter contacted a person who had worked with Freeman to try to ask them if they had seen or been subjected to inappropriate behavior by an actor they had worked with -- not initially even naming the actor they were asking about -- the person would immediately tell them they knew exactly who the reporter had in mind: Morgan Freeman. Some of those people were sources for this investigation while others declined to comment further or did not want what they said used in this story.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I wonder how many rich, successful 80 year old males have not repeatedly violated today's gender-relations standards. I would guess fewer than 50%.

Which is not to make excuses for them, or to criticize current standards. Just trying to assess the reality.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently, playing Cetera wasn't enough

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The voice of god.

No rape charges as of yet right.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It wasn't.

It's in 'The Independent' which hasn't been 'published', (as it used to be thought of), for a long time now. It's purely an online thing which, as far as I can see, is a 'front' for various, (mostly Russian), clickbait services.

It's a joke.
    The other thing is there's a disconnect between what people think is acceptable in their own behaviour and what people on twitter or facebook, (often with only a potted version of an incident), think is acceptable. Everybody seems eager to offer a half-baked opinion with sometimes the most limited knowledge of what's happened.

I can't count the number of times I've heard about some appalling crime apparently committed only to find out it either didn't occur OR that important information, (that totally changes the nature of the debate), has been omitted.

If people would only slow down a bit and WAIT before rushing to judgement they wouldn't make themselves look so stupid or, (worse still), back themselves into a corner where they feel they HAVE to keep defending an indefensible position.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's not a joke to drop that sort of thing on unsuspecting political posters without mentioning that they used a sample size that'd fit into a Mini Cooper.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    A sample size of 86 on a population of 29006 (the total student body of the two universities where the survey was taken) gives a confidence interval of 9.82 at a 95% confidence level. So the "real" percentage will fall somewhere in between 21.88% and 41.52%. No less shocking even at the lower limit, imho.

crazypete13, russ and soccernutter repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that google ads has this ad for me to see in this thread. B Clinton is coming to Chicago.

I mean B Clinton was one hell of a President, but man was he was a sexual Predator that was lucky enough to get elected before the #metoo movement (I guess he could still have won if he ran as a Republican like trump).

upload_2018-5-25_8-50-6.png

Attached Files:

17. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much of a surprise, the guy was sleeping with his step-granddaughter.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wait, what? When did this happen?

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't that rather depend on how the sample came about? Are they self-selected or chosen at random?

Your figure would only be accurate if they were chosen at random. If they were self-selected or, (even worse), chosen by somebody trying to make a point that figure would be WAY off.

Also, when they speak of coercion and quote 'holding someone down' is that the only method of coercion used? If they're maybe including other things like buying someone a drink and including THAT as 'coercion' then the figures seem more likely.

TBH 'holding someone down' is force by almost ANY definition.

LESS then 0.3% seems an incredibly small sample so the point about how that sample was chosen becomes relevant.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not entirely sure how that would work. Your assertion seems to be that the sample size might have been selected on the assumption that the guys they interviewed were more likely to think rape was alright? How could you even pre-determine that?

21. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shouldn't have stated it as fact rather there has been rumors of it for awhile now. It recently popped up again when his step-granddaughters murderer made a claim in court.

newyorkpostlink

seriously it's mostly tabloid gossip

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that's why the sample-size is a problem. Without knowing precisely HOW they were 'chosen' we can't know if it was skewed somehow, particularly if you're testing LESS than 0.3% of people in a group.

There's a reason why scientific studies are blind or even double-blind.

If the result didn't seem to indicate that a third of men thought it was fine to hold a women down to force her to have sex I wouldn't be asking the question but, TBH, it LOOKS like bollocks to me.

Also the $51 tag to actually see the results, (so we can check), looks slightly dodgy.

HEY! Maybe it's all above-board. I'd just like to see more details. That's all :)

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.theroot.com/white-woman...source=theroot_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

She admitted that she made up the allegation of sexual assault against [the football players] because it was the first thing that came to mind and she didn’t want to lose [another male student] as a friend and potential boyfriend. ... She stated that she believed when [the other male student] heard the allegation it would make him angry and sympathetic to her.

Every day the sun crosses the ********ing sky, @Belgian guy
    Every day, folks walk around in fear.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure what your point is?
    I don't think I ever claimed that false accusations are unheard of. But compared to actual rape that goes unpunished, they are incredibly rare.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry so late- didn't see this until now.

You have no idea whether they're incredibly rare or not, which is what my link is all about demonstrating. You don't know have any idea how many Black or Brown men have been Scottsboro'd because Emily Scarlett decided to go back to Rhett after she'd had her fun. But you're steady posting here on this topic, and I have yet to read you link a false rape incident.

Just giving you something to think about. When you don't think about it, I'll still be able to say I gave it my best shot.