Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Apples and oranges....if I was her dad...biff, bam, socko!! :ninja:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll be honest, if it was my daughter I'm not sure I could have controlled myself enough to ask the judge if I could beat the crap out of him. I tend to think I'd have just flown at him on sight.

Well, when I was younger anyway... nowadays I'm more a 'saunter' kinda guy than a 'fly at him' fella. :)

But that's really my point. If the criteria for punishment is what a victims dad would do, that probably won't lead to the best results and, like I say, what if those around the victim don't care about them or if they haven't got anybody close to them. Should we let their attackers go free?

We have to judge based on the details of the crime itself... not how somebody else feels about it.

3. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    NYT "diversity" of opinion hires have been on point

the article is a lot worse than the title

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know how true this statement is, because you can't get people to admit to that belief. But I did get that sense with how some reacted to the Rolling Stone/Virginia story, "Eff 'em, even if those guys weren't guilty of that, they're still assholes, and I don't feel sorry for them."

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    At the most any of these people we were talking about were only losing there jobs or the ability to go to school where they wanted. While important, they don't stack up with them losing their property or much more important, their freedom.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not sure of your argument here.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm much less concerned about any rush to judgement or any denial of due process when we are talking about jobs being lost versus freedom being lost. Also a rush to judgement by private individuals means much less to me than the same action by a government.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Got it. I disagree, but I understand the distinction -- it is a useful one.

russ repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are reading that wrong. She is saying the she believes the left is willing to sacrifice a few innocent people (men) without remorse. It fits into the "they are Godless" narrative. But I don't think you will find very many people who happily admit that they are okay with sacrifice a few innocent people (men). Because very few are okay with it. It is just that the definition of "innocent" differs between the left and the right.

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recently Margaret Atwood was pilloried by large numbers of people for publicly suggesting that it was important to hang onto the principle of innocence unless proven guilty. Her comments provoked a torrent of complaints that she had betrayed all women by her implicit suggestion that it's a mistake to simply accept as truth all allegations from all women.

Dr. Wankler, crazypete13 and Timon19 repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    True. However, per Booty's post, you will find many people who are okay with that sacrifice, but who will not admit it -- to themselves as well as others.

12. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, plenty of people will effectively admit it publicly -- that was the whole point of my post.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Effectively, yes. Openly, no.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What tends to be absurd about this debate (not directing this comment at you) is people conflict the presumption of innocence - which is an evidential presumption in a criminal trial - with how we conduct ourselves outside of the court room.

The police do not operate on the presumption of innocence for example. Nor does an HR department.

If suspicion of sexual abuse arose in respect of a teacher at my kids school for example - I would want that teacher suspended until cleared.

So actually I am completely OK with "sacrificing" a potentially innocent person in that situation and I am sure many parents feel the same.

Returning to Atwood - the key is that women are taken seriously in the investigative phase - presumption of innocence has nothing to do with it.

rslfanboy, soccernutter and song219 repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am fine to admit it.

Indeed potentially innocent people are routinely sacked or suspended.

Especially in civil actions and HR department need only have good evidence or risk factors to support its decision. Any employment action would be balance of probabilities.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    School-board parents are the very worst. There is no evil that they would not perpetrate, once they get into their heads the idea that their children are threatened (whether the children are or not). School-board parents are the people who hounded gays out of jobs for decades.

Not on this earth are they my role model. If school boards ran the show, black kids still wouldn't be allowed in white schools. Gotta protect the children, you know.

soccernutter repped this.
  17. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many parents believe a lot of stupid crap. Some parents are uncomfortable with male teachers, or gay teachers, for example.

Teachers typically have due process rights under their collective bargaining agreements that prevent them from being suspended based on a mere allegation. If you're going to upend someone's life by suspending them and putting a cloud over their entire career (which leads to huge stress and anxiety for the accused, even if they are ultimately exonerated), you should have to have more evidence than a simple accusation.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    At any rate, to return to subject, I don't mean to imply that the #MeToo movement has gone overboard. I don't think it has, to date.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife survived an attempted sexual assault by a stranger several years ago. Granted the guy gave up and ran away during the struggle (she was jogging in a neighborhood park; she turned and saw him just before he managed to grab her and was able to resist and scream for help), but still it's worth noting--she's always said that she got over the trauma of the attack MUCH easier than she got over how the police treated her after.

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A plethora of public comments like "One of the most important feminist voices of our time shits on less powerful women to uphold the power of her powerful male friend" seems like 'openly' to me.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Katie Roiphe's article in Harpers suggests that it is a common theme in the Twitterverse, and some of the people who are advocating it there have pretty established careers in higher education, journalism, etc., as opposed to mere internet presence.

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like a false dichotomy. It is possible to take someone and their allegations seriously, and investigate/evaluate them thoroughly and with consideration and respect, without simply accepting them as true. In fact, the necessity of doing both -- treating allegations seriously while reserving judgment, not just in the criminal sphere but in the public sphere as well -- was the core point of Atwood's letter.

You're right, of course, that the standards of the courtroom are different from personal ones. It's a reasonable subject of debate/dispute as to what extent they *should* be.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You and the Doc are both saying I am wrong? That worries me a bit.

russ repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not really: A lot of the people Roiphe quotes are saying on their twitter accounts what they wouldn't say in the classroom or in their articles/columns. They come across with being okay with some being sacrificed for the greater good, but not necessarily to the extent of signing their real name and mentioning their current employment status. As to how "openly" this is can be debated, I guess, but the semantic aspect would have Brummie in here posting pictures of afflicted hamsters in no time.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of people who have said such things on Twitter can be identified; but it's fair to say that Twitter has a tendency to uncork people's ids, and perhaps in a more natural environment the extreme position wouldn't be expressed by those same people, dunno.

rslfanboy repped this.