Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife was assaulted while jogging in a local park @ 9:30 in the morning by a guy holding a knife and wearing a ski mask. Our dog was with her and alerted her to him running up from behind her. She was able to grab his arm and scream until he threw her to the ground and ran off--other joggers in the area heard and came running.

The police reaction? Two detectives grilled her about her motives for reporting the "alleged" crime; she had got a ride to the station with a family friend while I stayed home with our young son so the detectives accused her of having marital problems. In the end, after an hour or more of accusations, insinuations, and mockery, one of the two detectives took the police sketch which had been made by an artist based on her description prior to the interview--called it 'bullshit', tore it up and threw it in the trash. Then he told her if she didn't retract her charges by the following morning he would charge her with filing false charges and "put her ass in jail." Then they both walked out and left her to show herself out and down the stairs where our family friend was waiting completely unaware, as I was, of how she'd been treated.

That's another reason women don't report these things more often.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Holy shit! That's terrible. Like reprehensible to a disgusting degree. :(

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Have you discussed this with your neighbors? Our street isn't exactly the sort to through block parties, but if that happened to somebody on my street, we'd work as a group to get that changed. We'd get the story in the local press, and we'd be at the town meetings. That is flat-out unacceptable. Those people need to change the hell out of what they are doing, now. Or be fired.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was years ago and was actually in a park some distance from our neighborhood.

FWIW, a couple of days later (after we'd left a message with the Police letting them know any further communication with them would be through a lawyer; they were bluffing on charging her as it turned out) we were out at a local bar and an older detective who knew about the case happened to be there as well. He approached us, apologized to my wife for what had happened, and told us that word had gotten around the department that the young detective who'd threatened her had ********ed up. Evidently it was standard procedure to try and ferret out false rape charges when there's no physical evidence with a bit of preliminary bluster; but this detective and most of his colleagues felt the guy handling my wife's case went way over the line.

It wasn't great comfort although it was nice to know we weren't trapped in a totally Kafka-esque nightmare, but as it turned out that policy was changed not too long later.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Your wife is an immigrant, IIRC? That had to amplify the Kafka element exponentially.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's been here over half her life so it was likely mitigated, but I can't imagine how much more traumatizing it would have been if it had been 20-some years ago when she was a new immigrant on a green card with fresh memories of the police state she grew up in.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm so sorry to read about this, regardless of when it happened. That policy should never have been in place to begin with.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Do they assume that victims of burglary shouldn't have all that stuff lying around too?

9. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is atrocious. And cops wonder why nobody trusts them.

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just saw this.

Regarding the bolded part, is there another article because, in the one you linked to it doesn't address the issue of his regret or remorse one way or the other, does it?

It says he plead 'guilty to breaking and entering and assault' and was 'sentenced to a suspended sentence that involves a nightly curfew and requirement he perform community service work'.

Maybe he's absolutely mortified and has promised never to do anything like it again... or maybe he gave the judge the finger and told him to go feck himself... but it doesn't say... does it?

Am I missing something?

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/devos-...ithholding-school-funds-for-assault-inaction/

DeVos is 59. Former President Obama is 56. Former President Jimmy Carter is 92. For more context, Viola Liuzzo would be 91 were she still alive. Bernie Sanders is 76.

Somebody's mama made poor marital choices. You people have got to do better.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    India really appears to have a problem regarding sexual assault but I wonder if it's just that in India victims are finally feeling strong enough to speak up and in many developing nations these sort of stats would be similar.

bbclink

ceezmad repped this.
  13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Washington Post just ran an interesting article on this topic.

Dr. Wankler and NORML repped this.
  14. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a mixture of lack of education and harmful views of traditional male/female roles/relation in India are contributing factors. It is crazy to think India rates lower than Saudia Arabia for a G-20 country for women to live in. Hopefully those in power in India will read/listen to Pandey's study.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Government in power gets votes by pandering to Hindu religious conservatives, so probably not that much.

NORML repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an female expat who's lived in India off/on for almost 7 years now, this does not surprise me at all.

NORML and crazypete13 repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When I was in India, my guide said that rapes were a common way of keeping young working women in line. They think they're as good as men ... rape them. He claimed it was mostly the village guys who had moved to the cities, and who were enraged by the urban wickedness of permitting women do what they want. Just the word of one person, of course. Lil one would surely know better than I do.

NORML repped this.
  18. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'll just blame the city of Richmond. It's always seemed to be a backwards place.

raza_rebel repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... well... it's a viewpoint I suppose :eek:

21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Note the byline: Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University.

He's a graduate professor at that. A few people I know that would have interactions with this guy.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just an FYI image for anyone who doesn't know who Walter Williams is.

[​IMG]

He's been cooning as an op-ed writer since I was in 6th grade, at least- might have been before, but I didn't start paying attention to conservative writing until then. The editorial page of my local fishwrap carried his and another "POC" named Clarence Page's nonsense, along with Bruce Tinsley's duck art silliness for years.

Naughtius Maximus and raza_rebel repped this.
  23. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    His bio on economics.gmu.edu has this ditty.. "He is also occasional substitute host for the "Rush Limbaugh" show."

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This ought to tell him something... he's to the right of Limbaugh, betrays his people in ways that Limbaugh would never attack them himself, but he can't get Limbaugh's gig. That niqqer's an idiot outside the scope of his econ training, and even that is a bit twisted by conservatism, I'll bet.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently every black economist is a traitor to his race. No wonder they call it the dismal science.