Ranking system for clubs in the domestic leagues

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Nicola1975, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I created a very simplified system to rank the performances of the European teams in their own domestic leagues.
    I take the average points made (PpG), average goals scored (AGS) and average goals conceded (AGC), calculating this formula: PpG + (AGS-AGC)/2,5
    To consider also the strenght of each league , I multiply the result by the national coefficient (NC), that is based on the performances of the teams in the UEFA Cups in the last three years. The system to calculate the NC is explained on this post in my blog; the NC calculated in this way is then multiplied by a factor of 2.

I take into account only the top ten European leagues, according to the official UEFA ranking.

At this point of the season 2014/2015, the ten best teams are the following:

[​IMG]

Barcellona is in the top position because of their defense (zero goals conceded) and the high coefficient of Spain.

I will create a new thread to talk about the way to calculate the relative strenght of a league, because I am not fully satisfied with it.

2. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These are the top 10 teams after October matches (excluding the ones that will be played tonight, that formally belong to November).

[​IMG]

I have modified the coefficient calculation, as explained in this post, to take into account both the external strength of each league's teams (in international matches) and the internal strength (the competitiveness of each league).
    I added a 2% more points to the teams that are leading their leagues.

3. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is the ranking as of today (5 december).
    Real Madrid is dominating.

[​IMG]

4. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These are the top 10 teams up to today.
    Real Madrid always lead the ranking. They also have the best attack (3,33 goals per game).
    The best defence is the Benfica's one, with 0,42 goals conceded per game.
    The best team as for the points made is PSV Eindhoven, with 2,62 points per game.

Worst teams:
    Goals scored: Aston Villa (0,48 goals per game)
    Goals conceded: Dordrecht (2,29 goals per game)

The full ranking is on this page of my blog.
    I changed the calculation of the national coefficients (internal and external), as explained here.

[​IMG]

5. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Zenit and Kyiv there? :D and only for top10 leagues.... I think is not too realistic :) Check my ranking, IFCR, and see the differences. 5.000 clubs ranked in 2014, from 223 countries :D Anyway, IS a pleasure to see another webranking for clubs . GL with it.

6. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, this doesn't mean that Zenit is better than Atletico Madrid.
    It is only a system to calculate the performance of the teams in their own domestic league, proportionally to the strenght of the league. The ranking means that Zenit is doing better in Russia than Atletico in Spain, even considering the relative strenght of the two leagues.

7. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    ah, I understand now :) So, UCL matches or UEL doesn't affect the ranking.

8. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UCL and ECL affect only the "external coefficient" of the leagues (the field called "Ext" in the table), because to weight the relative strength I take into account also the results of the teams in the European Cups in the last three years.
    As for the rest, they are only domestic data :)

9. Nicola1975

Nicola1975 Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These are the first five teams at the end of the season:
    1) Barcelona 475,95 points
    2) Real Madrid 447,38
    3) PSV 393,52
    4) Bayern Munich 389,52
    5) Dynamo Kyiv 379,42

At this link you find the full ranking (teams in red are those promoted to the first division after the 2013/14 season).
    The calculation system is explained here.