Rank the Top 10 women's soccer matches you've ever witnessed

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by WPS_Movement, Jul 10, 2011.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    When I wrote The Games That Rate in tribute to the 1999 team, the criteria I developed for rating games included the following six requirements:

1. The team that won the game needed to win the game to capture the title at the highest level of the sport AND went on to do so.

2. The teams were both of legendary stature or rivalry OR the game was a monumental upset.

3. BOTH teams played well. Lead changes are a prime indicator here.

4. A dramatic play decided a close contest (every word of this matters).

5. The dramatic play was an exhibition of athletic excellence.

6. The game had lasting impact beyond deciding the champion (by changing the way people play the game, perceive the game or perceive those who play the game).

Based on that, a number of games below have several elements. But only the 1999 game has all six - at present.

1.) 1999 WWC Final (China vs. USA) All six elements - one of THE GAMES THAT RATE. Though many people dis the game as boring, given the pressure stakes, the quality of play was quite high, and every possible thrust at goal became potentially decisive. And, remember, no women's soccer player had ever made a pass or taken a shot with a full crowd in a former men's World Cup stadium. Every act was dramatic. Plus, the USA playing overtime without its best player enhances the drama. And, Kristine Lilly's header was a game-saver!
    2.) 2011 WWC Quarterfinal (Brazil vs. USA) The USA needs to win on Sunday for element 1 above to be met. Also, it's hard to argue that this was as well-played as many other women's matches.
    3.) 2000 Olympic Final (Norway vs. USA) Question on lasting impact (it was Norway's real last hurrah). Also, the dramatic play (Milbrett's late goal) did not win the game.
    4.) 2003 WWC Final (Germany vs. Sweden) My recollection is that the seminfinal was a better game in quality of play. A golden goal qualifies as a dramatic play, but it is not a goal whose excellence earns repeat showings.
    5.) 1991 WWC Final (Norway vs. USA) The winning goal came from a Norwegian defensive blunder that Akers pounced on. Hard to meet the "athletic excellence" criteria of number 5.
    6.) 2011 WWC Quarterfinal (England vs. France) Fails element 1.
    7.) 2011 WWC Quarterfinal (Japan vs. Germany) I reserve judgment until I can view a tape of the game as to the quality of the play. If the USA wins on Sunday, element 1 fails here.
    8.) 1996 Olympic Semifinal (Norway vs. USA) Some controversy over the non-call and then the make-uip call of the penalty kicks. Golden goal ending but for spectacularity of goal 2011 USA Brazil surpasses.
    9.) 1999 WWC Quarterfinal (Germany vs. USA) If the USA did not win that game, many who post here would not be posting here. However, the most dramatic play was the own-goal. Element 4 is missing.
    10.) 2008 Olympic Final (Brazil vs. USA) The 2004 final was a better game and Wambach's winning header (they seem so routine now!) was an exhibition of sheer dramatic will.
    11.) 1999 WWC Quarterfinal (Brazil vs. Nigeria) Amazing game. Fails elements 1 and 6.
    12.) 1998 Women's College Cup Semifinal (North Carolina vs. Portland - four overtimes) I only count WWC and Olympic games.

Just missed out:
    1999 WWC 3rd place match (Brazil vs. Norway) A third-place game automatically fails element 1.
    1995 WWC Semifinal (Norway vs. USA) I've not seen the tape and so cannot pass judgment on the quality of play.
    2002 Women's U-20 World Cup Final (USA vs. Canada - Tarpley scores game winner)
    2004 Olympic Final (Brazil vs. USA) A better game than the 2008 final, but the USA publicity machine unforgivably fails to give prominence to the next generation of players (Wambach, O'Reilly, Tarpley and Reddic were the heart of that tourney's win), which limited the reach of the impact of this win.

Argue away.

2. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Two games not mentioned on the first poster's list merit comment.

Brazil - USA WWC '07 semis. Fails element 3. The USA did NOT play well. Also, at 4-0, it was not close.

Germany - USA WWC '03 semis. It was an exciting game. It was well-played. The rivalry element is met. Germany won it all that year, so element 1 is met. But, there was no dramatic play that decided this close contest. It was close, of course, until the last minute, but the USA simply kept coming up short on numerous attacks.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Yeah, Nordby. She was an awesome goalkeeper.

jnielsen and exref repped this.
  4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    There have certainly been a lot of good games over the past 4 years that could be on this list.
    Tyreso vs. Wolfsburg last year was a great match.

The 2013 Euro Semifinal (Germany vs. Sweden), and the Euro Final (Angerer saves a billion penalty kicks).
    USA vs. Canada at the 2012 Olympics in that classic Semifinal match.

Germany vs. France (U-20 Semifinal) last year.
    USA vs. Germany (U-20 Final) in 2012.

5. KTown222

KTown222 Member

Sep 29, 2007
    It is time to fill in the void in the last 4 years and ahead of the WWC 2015.

In no particular order:

2011 WWC quarter-final: USA 2 Brazil 2 (aet, USA won on penalties)
    2011 WWC semi-final: USA 3 France 1
    2011 WWC final: USA 2 Japan 2 (aet, Japan won on penalties)
    2012 London Olympics group match: USA 4 France 2
    2012 London Olympics semi-finals: USA 4 Canada 3 (aet)
    2012 London Olympics final: USA 2 Japan 1

6. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Oh boy, resurrecting an old thread! OMG, the 2005 NOR vs SWE Euro semi-final - what a match!

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    That was a GREAT match. I forgot all about it.
    Please upload that match online.
    Thanks.

8. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here would be my Top 10:

United States 0-0 China (5-4 PK) (1999 Women’s World Cup Final)

England 2-2 Japan (2007 Women’s World Cup Group A)

Washington Freedom 4-3 FC Gold Pride (2009 Women’s Professional Soccer)

Boston Breakers 4-0 Sky Blue FC (2010 Women’s Professional Soccer)

United States 2-2 Brazil (5-3 PK) (2011 Women’s World Cup Quarterfinal)

Japan 2-2 United States (3-1 PK) (2011 Women’s World Cup Final)

United States 4-2 France (2012 Olympics Group G)

United States 4-3 Canada (AET) (2012 Olympic Semifinal)

Boston Breakers 4-1 Chicago Red Stars (2013 National Women’s Soccer League)

Portland Thorns 6-3 Boston Breakers (2014 National Women’s Soccer League)

9. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here would be my Top 10 ( I wasn't sure how to edit my original post, #33- if the moderator could delete it that would be great)

United States 0-0 China (5-4 PK) (1999 Women’s World Cup Final)

England 2-2 Japan (2007 Women’s World Cup Group A)

Washington Freedom 4-3 FC Gold Pride (2009 Women’s Professional Soccer)

Sky Blue FC 4-4 Washington Freedom (2009 Women's Professional Soccer)

Boston Breakers 4-0 Sky Blue FC (2010 Women’s Professional Soccer)

Japan 2-2 United States (3-1 PK) (2011 Women’s World Cup Final)

United States 4-3 Canada (AET) (2012 Olympic Semifinal)

Boston Breakers 4-1 Chicago Red Stars (2013 National Women’s Soccer League)

Portland Thorns 6-3 Boston Breakers (2014 National Women’s Soccer League)

10. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Here's my top 10 (I'm biased):
    2012 London Olympics final: USA 2 Japan 1
    2012 London Olympics semi-finals: USA 4 Canada 3 (aet)
    United States 0-0 China (1999 Women’s World Cup Final)
    2008 Olympics Final
    2004 Olympics Final
    1996 Olympics Final
    1991 USA vs Taipei
    1991 USA vs Germany
    1991 USA vs Norway

11. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to update my Top 10. There's no doubt that this year's WWC final belongs in it.

OUT: England 2-2 Japan (2007 Women's World Cup Group A)

IN: United States 5-2 Japan (2015 Women's World Cup Final)

12. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'll edit and put this final on top... once again I'm biased.

13. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I will take a stab
    I looked at this with interest at the recent additions to the top ten list, decided that any list had to have some set criteria to be an analytically valid list, and started looking up higher on the thread to see if anyone had defined the criteria for the top ten.

It was only then that I came to the initial post in the thread and realized that I recognized the name of the character who had created it (right after the Brazil quarterfinal). It's amazing what you can forget in four years.

I'm going to update my list based on The Games That Rate criteria.

Before I do, I want to make it clear that this year's final, though epic by any sports standard, and likely to resonate with significance for years, does not strictly qualify as one of The Games That Rate. Both teams have to play well and a dramatic play has to decide a CLOSE contest, two elements absent from this year's otherwise resonant final. But, it will make the above list.

14. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's somewhat sad about the WWC just concluded is that there were not many compelling games, period, let alone top ten. In group play, there were three interesting games --
    a. the 1 - 0 Canada over China decided by a penalty in extra time -- but it was a meh game,
    b. 3 - 3 tie between Sweden and Nigeria -- but had no bearing on the championship
    c. Colombia 2, France 0 -- that was a bonafide upset. -- but neither team was in the championship.
    but none of the three could get in the top ten based on TheGamesThatRate's criteria. Also, none of the 3rd games in group play were so decisive for determining the knockout round participants.

Going to the Knockout round -- the team that had the most compelling games were England. They trailed in the octofinal match vs Norway before getting two goals to win. Their next game was good, but not thrilling.

Now we get to the four candidate games to Possibly put into a top ten list, from least compelling to most compelling:
    4. Semifinal, USA 2 - Germany 0. Despite a great start by Germany, the USA took over the match, but could not find the net in the 1st half. Then Germany gets the PK -- which is an automatic 1 - 0 lead for Germany -- except it's not. Then the USA gets awarded a PK (dodgy award, probably outside the box) but converts it. USA then seals it late. Don't think it's top ten worthy
    3. Final USA 5 Japan 2. It's not the USA's "fault" for making it a semi - rout after 16 minutes -- but the game is basically over -- USA does concede a pair... but that's it. It's just not a close game -- but does decide a championship.
    2. Semifinal Japan 2 - England 1. Two first half goals happen via the PK -- it's not a compelling match in the 1st half. 2nd half is up for grabs, but neither side is decisive... it looks like AET is a certainty --- and then the shocker from Bassett. I'm still amazed by this, and we will be talking about this game down the road. It was England's deepest run to that point in their WWC history, and it allowed Japan to return to the Final for the 2nd cup in a row. If it doesn't make your top ten... then it's right below it.

Finally, this has to make anybody's top ten --- Quarter final Germany France tied 1 -1 AET, Germany wins 5 - 4 on PK's. These were two of the three best teams in the tourney -- only the hands of FIFA made this collision happen so early based on their seeding and drawing. This was the best game of the WWC. Germany advanced... but was so gutted by it that they could not meet the intensity of the USA in the Semifinal match -- so the match did decided the final

jnielsen and Tsunami repped this.
  15. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    SaintNdaCity's analysis is spot-on.

Here is a revised top ten by The Games That Rate criteria:

1.) 1999 WWC Final (China vs. USA) All six elements - one of THE GAMES THAT RATE. Though many people dis the game as boring, given the pressure stakes, the quality of play was quite high, and every possible thrust at goal became potentially decisive. And, remember, no women's soccer player had ever made a pass or taken a shot with a full crowd in a former men's World Cup stadium. Every act was dramatic. Plus, the USA playing overtime without its best player enhances the drama. And, Kristine Lilly's header was a game-saver!
    2.) 2012 Olympic Semifinal (USA v Canada) Slugfest back and forth between border rivals. Sinclair is a stud with a hat trick. Rapinoe establishes a reputation as a big-game player. Morgan seems on her way to cementing one as she does her best Wambach imitation and scores the winning goal on a header (not her normal weapon) late in extra time. Likely not one of The Games That Rate simply because of its lack of lasting impact - it was not the game-changer for impact on public impressions of women's soccer that either the 1999 or 2015 final was.
    3.) 2011 WWC Final (Japan v USA) Ok, I know American fans feel pain at the mention of this game. The Sawa goal to force PKs was a scintillating finish. The one element it certainly lacked at the time was the rivalry criteria - back then there was none between the two teams. That diminished the buzz. Even without it, the game was a widely watched game and cemented that the 1999 game had had lasting impact, by establishing that any WWC final with the USWNT was a guaranteed ratings winner in the world's most important media market. But I'm not sure that this game itself had that kind of lasting impact.
    4.) 2015 WWC Final (USA v Japan) Clearly fails the "both teams played well" and "close" criteria. But by now the rivalry requirement was clearly met with the first finals rematch in WWC history. The number of records set ensure its memorability. The drama of the Lloyd hat trick goal will remain legendary. The passion that the USWNT has generated from this win appears to be exceeding what 1999 generated.
    5.) 2015 WWC Quarterfinal (Germany v France) Obviously fails the first criteria, since Germany did not win. But, for quality of play, it was scintillating. See SaintNdaCity's analysis; concur here.
    2011 WWC Quarterfinal (Brazil vs. USA) The USA needs to win on Sunday for element 1 above to be met. Also, it's hard to argue that this was as well-played as many other women's matches.
    6.) 2000 Olympic Final (Norway vs. USA) Question on lasting impact (it was Norway's real last hurrah). Also, the dramatic play (Milbrett's late goal) did not win the game.
    7.) 2003 WWC Final (Germany vs. Sweden) My recollection is that the seminfinal was a better game in quality of play. A golden goal qualifies as a dramatic play, but it is not a goal whose excellence earns repeat showings.
    8.) 1991 WWC Final (Norway vs. USA) The winning goal came from a Norwegian defensive blunder that Akers pounced on. Hard to meet the "athletic excellence" criteria of number 5.
    9.) 2011 WWC Quarterfinal (England vs. France) Fails element 1.
    10.) 2011 WWC Quarterfinal (Japan vs. Germany) Who knew it would be the first of two straight WWCs without the Germans in the final, or without the Germans scoring a goal after a quarterfinal?

Hard to leave off the honorable mention 2004 Olympic Final (Brazil vs. USA) Wambach's winning header (they seem so routine now!) was an exhibition of sheer dramatic will.

The best part of this is seeing how the women's game continues to generate new games that require updating these lists...and keep the debates going!

Tsunami repped this.
  16. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games:
    You've got two games stuck at #5... so you have 11 games in your top ten.
    Which is fine by me... as I have 15 shows in my top ten Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band shows in my top ten.
    But while I'm on the subject of what should rank higher, 2011 WWC quarterfinal USA Brazil... or 2015 WWC quarterfinal Germany - France. it's really a toss up --- but I think based on your criteria, the USA Brazil game has to go higher because 1) the USA did proceed to the finals and 2) The USA played for 61 minutes down a player... and tied it twice, with the Wambach equalizer at minute 122 one of the greatest crosses and headers ever seen in any football game. In fact, this game was so much better than the 2015 final that it must move into #4.

Also, one other point that should be mentioned in the 1999 WWC final: No one knew it at the time, but that was the high water mark for the Chinese team in Women's football. They haven't been close to the top since -- and is a mystery of the game. Or was China just "Su Wen and others"?

hykos1045 and Tsunami repped this.
  17. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Seems like counting is one of the skills that deteriorates with age. So, make the unnumbered one 6 and leave what would have been 11 off the top ten.

Had the USA won the World Cup in 2011, there is a good chance that the Brazil game from 2011 would be in the top 3. But, making the finals is not enough - the team has to win it. But, given the down a player aspect and the sheer drama and excellence of the cross and header, I can see a good argument for this game ahead of France - Germany 2015 - whose ranking primarily rests on the rivalry and quality of play. That's what makes this fun.

As to the Chinese high mark, it is an interesting point. Perhaps the Chinese program is rebounding now, but nobody saw the decline of China in 1999 like what it has been. But, that does not change the fact that its dominance, superpower status and success in '96 made it the most desirable rival and opponent for the USA in the '99 final, and that no other opponent then likely would have permitted the build-up during the week between the July 4 Brazil semifinal game and the July 10 title game.

18. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Sun Wen - pronounced like Swen! Wen?

I am in pedantic mode this morning...

19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would put at least 4 US games in the top 10.

(1) 1999 WC final against China
    (2) 2011 WC Quarter final against Brazil
    (3) 2011 WC final against Japan
    (4) 2012 Olympic semi-final against Canada

The 2015 WC was satisfying although I might not put any of the games in my top ten. The two best in my opinion were Germany/France (France should have won) and England/Canada (with England jumping to an early league and Canada desperately trying to bet back in the game). Colombia's upset of France was amazing, but occurred in group play not a knockout round.

Carli Lloyd would probably get my vote for all time best performance in the WC for the 2015 final.

20. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Smallchief, other than my inclusion of the 2015 Germany-France game (which I included in large part because the quality of play by France was so high that it is likely the first women's soccer game not involving an American team that I have ever heard casual American sports fans discuss, making it a significant game), you and I are on the same page. And, in your last line, I would include the reference to "WC" as including both the men's and the women's editions.

21. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What made the opening 20 minutes of this year’s final so stunning was that although the US was favored to win, most were expecting it to be a close game…and then the US came out and did what they did (against a bitter rival who beat them in the last WWC final, no less). And even after that onslaught, let’s not forget, Japan did make it somewhat interesting by pulling two goals back. For me not all great games necessarily have to be close. I had some close games in my top 10, and others that were memorable because the team I support put together a complete performance and won by a wide margin…against a more than worthy opponent in a game that was expected to be close (Breakers-Sky Blue 2010 is another example of this).

22. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Everyone is entitled to posit and defend his or her own criteria. Your inclusion of memorable games that were not close, for reasons you articulate, is a fair approach.

There are at least three reasons for my insistence in evaluating The Games That Rate that the game have been a close one.

The first is that my set of six criteria are designed to find games that most closely replicate the games that those of us in the backyard when ten years old fantasized happened, as we re-enacted the winning play while simultaneously calling the play-by-play. Admit it: those games are always ones featuring dramatic decisive plays in close games.

The second is that, when the dramatic play decides a close contest, in a game where both teams have played well, it usually means that the entire course of the game has kept the fans spell-bound.

The third is that performing a dramatic play to win a close game in which both teams have played well requires a unique conjuring of excellence. And, not always is it the player at the top of his game who does it (making the delivery of such a play all the more fascinating).

The 2015 WWC final was memorable (in that rarely does a team have it all click on all cylinders in the championship game), historic (in terms of records set) and, if you are an American fan, thrilling. Having palpitated through the ups and downs of the 2011 final, I was relieved to be able to relax during this final after 17 minutes.

That being said, as a long-time observer, I am comfortable saying that there is a world of difference in the reactions one experiences when a dramatic play decides a close contest where both teams played well and when a team simply wipes the pitch with the other team.

Perhaps what it may boil down to is that, in The Games That Rate, each team that won had fear of losing the game. That has the effect of making the win all the more riveting. The emotion is far different from that when you know you have won when the contest is not even a quarter of the way done.

23. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    How can anyone forget the inaugural WPS championship? In 2009, SkyBlue finished as the last team to make the playoffs after having numerous coaching changes and ending up with a player/coach in Rampone. They played against a star-stacked LA Sol team with Marta as their crown jewel. LA Sol was the prohibitive favorite, but Jennie Branham became the hot keeper that raged with a fearlessness that kept LA off the board. Also, who can forget that we found out that Rampone was playing for two during the final--she was 2-3 month pregnant at the time? Aside from the Rochester Rhinos winning the US Open Cup, I think this is the biggest upset in post 1970's NASL pro soccer history in North America.

http://www.soccer.com/guide/sky-blue-fc-win-inaugural-wps-title/

jnielsen and Tsunami repped this.
  24. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that the SOL had to play 10-on-11 after the 27th minute of the game due to what many considered a bogus red card to Allison Falk. That said, New Jersey seemed to be a team of destiny - I think they were the underdogs in every playoff game that year

BlitzSpiele repped this.
  25. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Ok, it was 12v10 if you count the future Rampone and sent off Falk. Still, it was riveting to see that SkyBlue team seal the deal.