Rank ROK's 9 World Cup performances

Discussion in 'Korea' started by HomokHarcos, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I would almost have been offended if it had not come from you. Since your knowledge post 2002 is tenuous at best and you're in need of help for events that happened before 2002, here are the reasons why I listed those world cups based off my personal experiences.

1994 - that result against Spain was special. This was an extremely talented side where Luis Enrique would later go on to be a monster in that match against Italy where he kept playing with a broken nose. Yes, that's the same Luis Enrique that played in 2002 and the same that's in charge of Barca.

1986 - That HJM goal. The way we played against Argentina and Italy. The point we got from the second match from Bulgaria. That was a magical summer/fall with the Asian Games in Seoul.

1990 - Hong MB.

skimmilk and Seol Korea repped this.
  2. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    wow you guys are super old...

3. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    whoops my bad. thought that comment was directed towards the iranian, who is definitely guilty.

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I thought about 1990 a lot. Were we really that bad or just unlucky? It might be I was so excited to watch Hong MB (and Hwang SH) that I remember it more fondly than i should. But I thought play-wise we were good against Spain and Belgium, just unlucky. I thought we didn't play well against Uruguay. Idk. I might be looking back too fondly on this campaign.

Seol Korea repped this.
  5. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #30 +PL+, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Curbing the blame on me?!o_O, you don't need to spend from my pocket. I don't add random years. I have my own reasons for those years. 1994 your matches against Spain and Germany was really amazing. 2010 for make it to R16, 1986 your performance with Argentina. 2006 decent performance vs France and Togo.

This is one of my favorite comeback matches. If you had 5 more minutes you could tie with Germany. My uncles always talk with respect about this particular match.

12th Player repped this.
  6. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    You mean against Argentina in Mexico in 1986...

+PL+ repped this.
  7. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Alright alright

8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #33 Seol Korea, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Man, Hong Myung-Bo's freekick goal was a very memorable piece, and not to mention that Kimchi-Taka-esque play leading up to Seo Jung-Won's equalizer. Also, 1994 was perhaps the worst WC campaign for my favorite player Hwangsae as he wasn't able to showcase his potential, especially during the Bolivia match where he would skyrocket his shots all night. I remember him saying that it was a roller coaster moment in his career, and he kept questioning why he couldn't score against Bolivia, but somehow managed to score against Germany.

9. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    That 1994 match against Germany (led by the current unnamable US manager) was such a rollercoaster. I vividly remember being demoralised by the 3 easy German goals, thinking that this is going to be a completely blowout. But as they began to wilt in the summer Texan heat, we mounted a valiant comeback. I still believe that had we a bit more time we would have tied the score and possibly even win. Even though we lost, I think that match elevated Korea in the eyes of some commenators and fans.

+PL+ repped this.
  10. korea305

korea305 Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Coral Gables
    Club:
    Miami FC
    realistically speaking, it will be very hard to eclipse 2002 run

11. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Still my favorite singular WC match despite the loss.

12th Player repped this.
  12. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Luis Suarez is arguably the best striker in the world when in top form. To fault a player for not being like him is to be absurd.

13. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Suarez isn't the best striker when he's in top form, he is the best striker.

14. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Point went over your head, bullet brain. I wasn't actually making a direct comparison. I was simply saying in order to be an upper echelon striker your have to make things happen like Suarez aggressively does. You can't be a passive striker hoping something falls in your lap all the time Sadly being aggressive is an innate thing that cannot be taught. Like someone who punches substantially hard you either can or you can't. You can't train or practice something that's almost instinctual.

And as I said before all this would be for not had I not gotten caught up in the hype for PCY as his career was developing. The hype around LSW is similar but at least I see traits in him that might carry him to the next level.

When I think about the hype that surrounded PCY and the results of what he's been able to do so far you have to be honest and realize he's disappointed greatly.

I think I may have even gotten into it with Vag on this him saying that Park was overrated. This was before he went to Arsenal. It turns out that dummy was right. What can you do though. Broken clock is right twice a day as they say.

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Our strongest lineups in order:

1. 2002
    2. 1994

----

Shite