Rangers v. SFA (12-month transfer ban)

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by candiag, Apr 27, 2012.

1. candiag

candiag New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is the SFA's vendetta against Rangers? I assume a rationale behind the 10-point deduction could be discouraging unfair competitive advantage through unscrupulous finances. Fine. That's just assuming for a second the 10-pt. deduction is not some ad hoc penalty. This 12-month transfer ban however will obviously hamper the administration and sale process. Under the assumption that crippling Rangers is not good at all for Scottish football as a whole, what exactly is the SFA trying to accomplish here with this 12-month transfer ban? With the 10-pt. deduction, the title was over, the point was made. If the SFA cripples Rangers the SFA looses MONEY!

2. chillum

chillum Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Glasgow
    With regard to the 10 point penalty, it was in relation to the club going into administration.

From SPL Press Statement ~ Rangers Football Club.

With regard to the 12 month transfer ban (from Disciplinary Proceedings Outcome):

That article also states that:

As mentioned in subsequent articles from various sources (including this: Threats 'shock' SFA panel member Eric Drysdale) interview with one of the panel members, releasing the reasoning at the same time as issuing the sanctions would probably have been a better course of action.

Without knowing the reasons by which they reached their conclusions, although people can speculate, it is hard to accurately judge if it was just or not.

I would also suggest that any sanction that the SFA enacted will pale into comparison compared to the potential amounts that may be due to HMRC with respect to the First Tier Tribunal alone never mind other outstanding creditors.

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    In what way does punishing a club for breaking the rules constitute a "vendetta"? Rangers should be treated like any other club. And I'm very glad to see that so far, they are.

holden repped this.
  4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    As best I can tell, they're having unprecedented irresponsibility punished by unprecedented punishments (if there is a precedent, I'm unaware of it). It's hard to tell if they're being treated like any other club, but they're certainly being treated in a way that will discourage similar behavior.

5. BruLee

BruLee New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Shit article. Same, lazy, pro-Rangers drivel that's desperately being spouted in an attempt to get everyone to believe it. If Rangers go bust, you just won't get a succession of other following them the way that article likes to pretend. Of course, if TV money goes down (which it will) (how big a slice of the pie do non-OF clubs get anyway?), clubs will have to cut their budgets or overpsend, in other words, balance the budget, like any and every club should be doing anyway.

7. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    None of the SPL chairmen want Rangers out of the SPL because they do bring in a big chunk of money to all the clubs. Surely that is why the SFA/SPL are changing the rules to keep us in. I want us to go down to the 3rd division now.

8. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    on this we can agree