Rangers 2011/2012 thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Pedro's greasy do, Jun 16, 2011.

1. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed.

and do they have any money to sign players?

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another question, do they really need to sign any players given the quality of the teams they will be taking on if they stay in the 4th tier? Couldn't they just field a collection of the players that are sticking around and players from their youth squad and still mop up the competition?

IvanIV repped this.
  3. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A slight name change and a new co does not really alter anything. We all know that. It will be the same Rangers.

And to an extent I do agree with the newco thing not avoiding the oldco misgivings etc. What I cannot stomach is the changing of the rules as they go along. That is wrong to do that. Also the sheer vitriol from people is frankly disgusting.

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    This will totally depend on who they actually have left. A team of youth players built around 4 or 5 decent pros should have a good chance of winning the 3rd easily you'd think but if they can't sign anyone, how many experienced players will actually stay.

I very much doubt a Rangers youth team would walk the 3rd like some people might expect. And a Rangers youth team + Lee McCulloch wouldn't either.

If people are expecting a team to sweep everything in the 3rd before them, built on the likes of Kal Naismith, I think they'll get quite a rude awakening.

Of course, it obviously depends on what quality the 3rd division has next season. Clearly it fluctuates from season to season like any league. There's no obvious 'really strong' team in it I don't think. Stranraer might have been favourites but they've obviously moved up. If Peterhead splash a bit of the cash again, they might provide a bit of competition.

5. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    h*ll yes for a decade and a half of cheating..in an almost pompous manner( for every fiver we will spend a tenner) lets remember the EBT situation is still lingering as much as I dislike the SFA ( and I have my view on where there loyalties lie) their hands where tied this must have happend this way.

6. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more that it cannot be allowed to happen again. But how about instead of focusing so much on punishing the team spend a little of that energy on ensuring rules and standards are in place to keep other teams from doing it.

Not saying we should just pretend Rangers did nothing wrong and move one, but clearly the system is broken too so lets fix that.

IvanIV repped this.
  7. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A decade and a half? Is that confirmed? I've heard so many different time scales for when the EBT was in place and let's not forget it's not actually illegal. Morally wrong though. The taxman has not won a case yet as far as I can see. I do know Arsenal settle with them on a similar matter.

A quote from more than 15 years ago and you are bringing that up as a reason? Do you not think that is a bit childish and pathetic?

If you want to blame Murray for anything you can blame him for all the innovative corporate entertainment ideas he had for bringing in more money to clubs for ruining football in my view.

8. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A sense of perspective would help. Some sort of third party t come in, look at all the facts and make a judgement.

GatewayRSC repped this.
  9. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently the transfer ban is now legal not because it's a punishment imposed on the old Rangers but the SFA have the right to place any limitations they feel appropriate on a newly admitted club. Dodgy to be sure but maybe they're not as dumb as I thought they were, they did manager to find themselves a nice little loophole.

10. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say it would have to even be someone outside of Scotland, but someone all parties involved could trust (which I guess rules out UEFA and FIFA). Everyone trusts Oprah right?

While I be alone in this as a Rangers fan, but I'd be willing to compromise. A transfer cap perhaps? This would allow the SFA/SFL to set limits to ensure Rangers didn't overspend and get themselves back in the same situation while still allowing McCoist to pick up some additional talent to field the best team he can. Or perhaps make the second 6 months conditional. If Rangers play nice, pay debts, open books, etc then the ban is lifted for the January window. If not then it stays in place.

I promise I'll stop trying to be reasonable now and go back to calling people names as is customary here.

11. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    But surely the issue now is maintaining these 'new rules' that have been put in place. They(SFA/SPL) didn't have anything that covered all the issues related to the whole 'newco' scenario and I'd imagine FIFA are leaning their weight in behind the scenes on this, just to add more confusion into the mix.

I wouldn't be surprised if the world governing body haven't suggested (threatened in FIFA speak) sanctions against the national team unless the newco are dealt with accordingly (in FIFA's eyes).

12. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Many sources say the SFA investigation start date is after 9 in a row . the Tax case is dead they went t*ts up...dead..that alone should mean a start in D3..So this should all land at Whyte's feet?...Murray can hold his head hi?

13. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't know what to believe now. I've also been told it really kicked in around 2004.Hindsight is a marvellous thing and the bravdo of Murray being in charge along probably went to his head. That's speculation from me. But can anyone here tell me that 10+ years ago if they had the chance to pay less tax and it was deemed legal they would not have taken it? Really? The moral side of that debate is relatively new to me. And if it is illegal then why are vodafone, WPP etc getting away with it? They not cheating the public out of millions which is small fry. They are cheating the public out of billions.

I think Murray will take a massive amount of blame once the investigation is underway. I'll be very curious to see what the outcome is for the individuals involved.

I hope they ban Bain from using sunbeds for the rest of his life. He could be be given a bigger punishment than that.

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you can find someone that everyone in Scotland trusts.....you have the sort of wisdom and vision that would mean, well, that it would have to be you!!!!! ;)

Please keep with the reasonable!!!! I think a compromise is most definitely needed. I was thinking something along the lines of:

1. lift the age limit on the embargo from 18 to 23 or 25
    2. limit the nationality to Scottish (not sure if Euro employment laws would allow that but would be a good boost to young Scots and might see some money transfer to smaller Scottish Clubs)
    3. Demand that all transfers be from club resources/cash flow (ie. no debt)
    4. As you state...make it for a year but allow for a "good behaviour" review/amendment at the January transfer window.

The goal should be to punish past behaviour.....not cripple Rangers (and by extension harm the Scottish game) on a go forward basis.

15. 1903

1903 Member

Apr 24, 2008
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    You spend hard days so sorry my question but How's Aluko?Is he really good?

16. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds reasonable to me
    I like this idea, but I imagine it wouldn't be possible given Euro and UEFA laws.

I would be ok with the being the rule for all teams, in every league. Take on debt for stadiums and such but not for players.

17. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He certainly has a lot of potential, had real moments of genius in his short time with the club.

How official is his move to Besiktas? Hearing mixed rumors and after McGregor's nonsense news about his move to Turkey not sure what I'll believe till I see Sonne in a Besiktas kit.

Personally still holding out hope he comes to MLS.

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I wonder, do the lower leagues have more rules about foreign players? It will probably be more difficult for Rangers to get work permits for non-EU players now, but I doubt that is too big of a deal.

19. 1903

1903 Member

Apr 24, 2008
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Thank you for reply.

Aluko's move is not official.Agents and sport media try to market players to Besiktas all time.Aluko is one of them.A Turkish agent said "He is very good player,I'm trying to have appointment with Besiktas" ..I wanted to ask you,if he is really good or not.

Besiktas had agreement with McGregor for three years but coach wants David Ospina from Nice.McGregor is good goalkeeper,why coach insist for Ospina,i have no idea.

20. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    give the BBC show on Rangers a watch and if your fair ya may not have the same view after.

21. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The Rangers' first competitive game at Ibrox will be the League Cup 1st round tie against East Fife. Should be interesting.

22. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The one that Mark Daly presented?

23. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    yes

24. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the SFA justify the legality transfer ban by saying they're not punishing 'old Rangers' but rather are free to impose any limitations they feel appropriate on a newly admitted club, such as 'new Rangers'.

So then what is the purpose of the ban? If it is to ensure the financial viability and responsibility of the new club then why allow the 6 week window? If it is for any other reason how do they justify it, other than because they can get away with it or Rangers don't play?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/0...ransfer-ban-handed-out-by-sfa-86908-23910810/

25. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's to keep the dribbling masses happy.