Random Thoughts About UK Television

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by frasermc, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whenever I think of The Full Monty I always think of this scene...

:D

It's just so wonderfully understated.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that Mr. Selfridge's final season started airing last month. Doesn't start here until the end of March. I had to remedy that problem, binged a few episodes last night. I always enjoyed this show.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    War and Peace and Dickensian were two great examples of the BBC's peerless record with costume dramas.

usscouse repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    War and peace was excellent.

5. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle returns. IMO the best stand up comedian going, and has been for some years.

Lee does something very clever, then laughs at you for not picking up on how clever he is, which makes you think he is clever, then he gets picked apart by Chris Morris for having a pop at the audience and for thinking he was clever.

It's a work of art how he always puts these things together. Wonderful stuff.

6. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Aliens. Don't bother!!

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I keep seeing the ads for that. What's it about? Looks a bit, well... odd, tbh.

8. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    The Trip to spain. Really great stuff from Coogan & Brydon. Maybe you have to know them and their quirks to truly appreciate it but I watched it back to back and was in fits of laughter

comme and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You absolute muppet :mad:

That's something I've never caught and, from the looks of it, it's exactly the sort of thing I'd like to watch avidly from beginning to the very latest one, but NOW, (thanks to you... you muppet :mad:), I can't because the latest one is on bloody Sky Atlantic and I'd have to watch them and then have to stop because there's no WAY I'm gonna 'take the Murdoch shilling'. :mad:

Ah, screw it... I'll give it a go.

10. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    :cool:

I am outvoted 2 to 1 by the wife and jnr on paying Murdoch as they want films, I then get sports.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Never seen the previous ones btw

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So it's purely accidental you get the sports then, is it? Nothing you can do about it and you're an innocent bystander.

Yeah, I believe yer. Thousands wouldn't.
    I saw the youtube where they're discussing their Michael Caine impressions... that was good :D

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That's the reason I put a nice TV in the bedroom for Mrs Scouse. Now we watch our own crap in peace.
    My last nights fare was. Top Gear and the season pilot (recorded) of Dr Who. Crapiarty seems to have caught on to who Dr Who is. I stopped watching last season. It wasn't working.

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    They are great. They are on Netflix.

This series is potentially even slower than the past ones but is just as fantastic.

The Trip to Italy was fantastic. Lovely scenery, lovely music and great chat between them all. I watched it all for a second time before going to the Amalfi coast but then sadly it rained almost every day.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  15. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    People Just Do Nothing is probably my favourite current comedy. Series 1 & 2 on Netflix.

It's great stuff. Keep it kurupt!!!

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    BBC America is trying to relaunch Top Gear America. And it is totally, totally awful. The previous Discovery version had hosts that weren't polished, and they started with the slavish devotion to the original, but once they dropped the Clarksonesque trappings and became a driving adventure show with hosts free to be themselves, it became really entertaining. But it's like BBC America didn't learn that lesson. Instead, they double-down on the old fashioned Top Gear style. They got presenters with style but no humanity, aping the old trio's attitudes. It's got to be among the worst things I have ever seen.

Belgian guy repped this.
  17. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    1st trailer for the outstanding Peaky Blinders Season 4 -

As well as the usual stellar cast including Cillian Murphy, the always great Helen McGrory, Paul Anderson and Tom Hardy the 4th series will also introduce new characters played be Adrien Brody and Aidan Gillen.

With the trailer now dropped I'd imagine a November start possibly on BBC2.

Looking forward to it immensely.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  18. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    The End Of The F***cking World. It's a Channel 4 programme now on Netflix.

Amazing stuff.