Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but most of the best ones "cheat" in the sense that their school boundaries are not geographic. They can recruit from anywhere in the city. Which puts them equal with the Catholic schools, but well ahead of most public schools.

That I couldn't tell you. Come on, man, you know how it is -- all of Downstate's the same to me. Peoria, Champaign, Normal, Charleston, yes even Peking. Just names on a map, my friend.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Also, feel-good about how Mississippi whiteys take care of the colored folk. Which I guess brings us back, finally, to this thread's topic.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found the Buckeye.:)

superdave and stanger repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Can we all agree that baseball is for whitey? In this country, I mean.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I dunno; Geronimo played second base, you know...

Moishe repped this.
  6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    FTFY

russ and VincitOmniaVeritas repped this.
  7. noSpinFactor

noSpinFactor Red Card

Nov 17, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    NFL players are on average more intelligent than NBA players. I.E. you have players in the NBA that never attended College. Then consider how poor the K-12 education is in many of these basketball hot beds.....

Not to mention complex playbooks in the NFL. It it not uncommon for veterans to not even practice in the NBA. Just go out there and wing it. Russell Westbrook recently admitted he doesn't watch tape on opponents. Mind-blowing.

8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Baseball is definitely not purple. It's very red, as is the NFL. The NFL is so involved in the military industrial complex in this country that it's almost physically sickening. One of the few African Americans playing in MLB is Adam Jones and he said it's incredibly difficult to speak out about anything as a black player because he's surrounded by so much conservatism. The owners, front offices, and fan bases of almost all teams are all deeply conservative. Hell, so are many of the sportswriters that cover it. The Yankees started God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch and when people refused to stand for it, people were actually getting assaulted in the stands for that. Now, the song is played during 7th inning stretches in MANY parks on a regular basis. Professional baseball is grounded on unwritten rules which prevent individuality and "stepping out of line". It is changing a little bit because of the influence of Latin players, but many people (mostly sportswriters and white clubhouse leaders) are trying to keep those players from standing out and expressing themselves. Look at the World Baseball Classic. The only team that doesn't look like they're enjoying themselves is the US team. Players on teams like Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela can feel free to express themselves and show actual enjoyment for the game without having to worry about repercussions from overbearing teammates and front office types who don't want players to become "a distraction".

As a baseball fan, I'm looking forward to a full Latino player revolution to bring some fun and passion to the game because there are lot of players who can make the game more exciting who are holding back because of fear of repercussion from their teammates because they might get beaned for pimping a home run.

luftmensch, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    You need to show your work on this. There are NFL players who can't read at a 5th grade level because they've been groomed their entire young adult lives to put football before education. There are some NBA players who jumped from high school to the league, but it's not like Joe Cornerback went to the University of Miami to study meteorology.

luftmensch, dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  10. noSpinFactor

noSpinFactor Red Card

Nov 17, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay - higher percentage of NBA players did not attend college. Almost every single NFL player attended at-least 2 years in American College. NBA has more international players - some went pro at the age of 16.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Israel had a pretty good time, IMO.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There was a good HS bball doc about St. Patrick's in Elizabeth who for a few years challenged the great St. Anthony's of Jersey City for NJ bball supremacy. Catholics can take players from all over the place. I used to take the PATH into Manhattan and see teens with St. Peter's (Jersey City) jackets going the other way.

Anyway, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, an NBAer now, was on the St. Patrick's team in the doc. He lived in Camden and on a good day thats an hour & a half one way on the Turnpike. When Catholics say they don't recruit, it has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Another case of domestic terrorism in the US by a white supremacist asshole.

Attacker in Midtown stabbing admits he wanted to kill black men

BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA AIDAN MCLAUGHLIN GRAHAM RAYMAN
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Updated: Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A white Army vet intent on killing black men stalked one potential victim before setting his sights on another — quenching his racist thirst by driving a sword through a man in Midtown, police said.

The 26-inch weapon — with an 18-inch blade — pierced the victim’s chest just above his heart and exited his back before pinging against the sidewalk on Monday night.

White supremacist James Jackson, 28, wanted maximum exposure for his crime, telling investigators he rode 200 miles on a bus from Baltimore because New York is the “media capital of the world.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...g-surrenders-cops-article-1.3005263?cid=bitly

14. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
  15. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh, I hope that poor guy gets the mental help he needs.

song219 repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Now that Trump is here, he'll be able to use a gun next time...

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Economic insecurity rearing its ugly head again

dapip and Smurfquake repped this.
  18. noSpinFactor

noSpinFactor Red Card

Nov 17, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #2118 noSpinFactor, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    What you describe is exactly true but it's also one of the major reasons MLB has such a strong enthusiastic core of fans. My close friend is mixed [Asian/White] and loves baseball - has season tickets to the Padres. The players are allowed to have their own entrance music when coming up to bat. He pointed out to me how many fans in the stands/near him have a confused or repulsed reaction to when they hear Rap. To them Baseball is their only escape from the force fed Hollywood culture that is featured in NFL and especially NBA. Baseball still has that old fashioned American charm to it. It has tinkered by adding DH, Wild Card and now allowing pitchers to motion for intentional walks but the rest has remained constant.

While my friend agrees the corporation is a big reason why this "conservative" or "old fashioned" culture still exists in MLB - he would argue the pitchers ability to breeze a hard ball past your skull as a major reason why too. Guys that showboat are thrown at and this has nothing to do with owners/executives in the press boxes. It's an extremely long and mentally tiring sport - the ability to remain even keel is a major advantage so guys naturally don't want opponents or even teammates that rock the boat.

19. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Not mind-blowing to me.

Basketball is much more free flowing and creative. Football is unbelievably regimented, especially at the pro level. All players have their "assignment" and in every they have one job and one job only. The only players allowed creativity are quarterbacks when they scramble. And receivers in that split second after they catch the ball.

In football, the strategy and decision-making is done by the coaches and sometimes the QB. The other players simply take orders and carry out strict assignments.

I actually like football a little more than basketball but it really is authoritarian at its core.

luftmensch repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Americans play baseball this way, Latinos play it that way...

Ahead of Team USA’s World Baseball Classic final against Puerto Rico tonight, some American baseball men said some eye-rolling shit. Team USA’s second baseman Ian Kinsler told the New York Times he hoped the team could inspire the youth to Play The Right Way and grow up to be fun-hating baseball men, just like him and his teammates:

"I hope kids watching the W.B.C. can watch the way we play the game and appreciate the way we play the game as opposed to the way Puerto Rico plays or the Dominican plays. That’s not taking anything away from them. That just wasn’t the way we were raised. They were raised differently and to show emotion and passion when you play. We do show emotion; we do show passion. But we just do it in a different way."

That’s right kids, please try to stifle your emotion and passion: No bat flips or forceful butt slaps. Fun? That’s bad. Puerto Rico’s Christian Colon had a good response:

Puerto Rican native Christian Colon on Ian Kinsler's words here: "It's the truth. We got flair, and he don't." https://t.co/Z8AQpL4keh

— Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) March 22, 2017

http://deadspin.com/team-usa-wants-to-inspire-baseball-kids-to-be-boring-fu-1793544803

21. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I watched some of the WBC games, and I think what Kinsler is saying is he doesn't believe in players openly taunting other players or fans of the other teams during games. If you want to call that "flair", than so be it.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I love it when the world co-operates. I go watch an NBA game last night, and look at that! The league does its very best to corroborate my Internet blatherings.

It was "Los Bulls" night. A Mexican mariachi band played the U.S. National anthem. The teams were introduced in Spanish, by a Univision guy rather than the normal Bulls' announcer. All the timeout shows and the halftime shows were Latin acts, with the songs performed in Spanish.

If that doesn't read blue to you, I don't know what does.

dapip repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Right. The "American" way of playing. I played baseball for 12 years way before Kinsler. This is how old timers like Leyland think. Knew many coaches like him. What Kinsler's message is - having the wrong type of "fun" like you Latinos damages the game. I guess this dude hasn't watched much NFL or NBA the last 30 years. :confused:

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Beat me to it.

25. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Celebrating is one thing. Taunting is another. Let me guess, you liked the Bautista bat flip and stare down vs Texas in the ALCS in 2015. I thought it was a punk move. It's all about perspective I guess. I don't see a problem with not wanting what has happened to the NBA and NFL to happen to MLB. They are doing just fine without it.