Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think his point was that the Chinese influx was to benefit corporations without needing the involvement of any war?

"I&I's"?

Irish and Italians? Jamaicans?

Q*bert Jones III and song219 repped this.
  2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I have to type AND or was the slash not clear enough?

All in all, those are really just the high points. We had serious in-migrations from nearly every foreign conflict we've been dumb enough to entangle ourselves in, or caused directly from our desire to be Global Cop / Sugar Daddy Enforcers

Yes.

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I misunderstood. All of the waves of immigration have been to benefit rich Americans - the Rockefellers and Roosevelts weren't out there taming the prairie, they got furriners to do it for them - but some of the waves of immigration were also due to wars we started or assisted with. Makes sense.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just making sure I could still diagram a sentence.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Interview with author who wrote book on the role of McDs in the black community

When Marcia Chatelain tells people about her new book, Franchise: The Golden Arches in Black America, she sometimes describes it like this: “I trace how McDonald’s became black.”

She gets a lot of bewildered responses. “People are like, ‘What do you mean? Everyone eats McDonald’s,’ ” said Chatelain, a Georgetown University history professor and my co-host on the Slate podcast The Waves. “And yes, everyone eats McDonald’s. But everyone doesn’t experience McDonald’s the same way.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/mcdonalds-black-america-franchise-marcia-chatelain.html

6. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    This is why I always preferred McDowell's over McDonald's: Local black ownership, McDonald's has the golden arches, they have the golden arcs. McDonald's has the Big Mac, McDowell's has the Big Mick. They both have two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions, but McDonald's buns have sesame seeds. McDowell's buns have no seeds.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article on how the south has a better living environment for black women than other parts of the country, especially the Midwest.

DC also ranks very high.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2020/01/best-cities-black-women/604384/

8. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That first article was really poor so I didn't read the rest of them. He starts off suggesting that a black woman killed herself because Pittsburgh is bad for black women. I supposed he doesn’t know that men commit suicide at a far greater rate than women and whites at a far greater rate than blacks. He has crap graphs with no data. He shows data on black female arrests compared to whites as if they are being arrested for no reason and the whites are getting away with crimes. The whole article and sources are a flaming turd, I cannot believe this man is employed. I don’t know, maybe the editor was at a free the nipple march or something.

You can’t compare black women to other groups without consideration of many highly significant factors. For example, 3/4 of black children are born out of wedlock. Being a parent is hard, being a single parent is even harder. A good start would be to stop having babies before you have financial stability and a stable marriage.

10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying you're in favor of greatly strengthening sex education and low cost birth control programs, particularly among at-risk populations?

fatbastard repped this.
  11. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think birth control should be free and given out like candy.

luftmensch repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You don't think he's calling for married black women to have more kids? That would definitely lower the percentage.

luftmensch repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who gives out free candy, except on Halloween?

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most restaurants have a mint bowl to grab when leaving.

That count?

xtomx and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banks so you feel all warm and fuzzy inside while they are raping us.

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This dude.

[​IMG]

xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another example of racial bias in our justice system.

upload_2020-1-16_10-40-11.png

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...ce-emerges-for-racial-bias-in-american-courts

dapip repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "They?"

19. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My bank gives away pineapple Dum-Dums-they're not easy to find for free. But they sell chocolate candy for $1.50.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mine gives out doughnut holes on Saturdays. You don't have to bank there. Just walk in and take some. Now, how can those be bad people?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hear tell they rape folks, tho...

xtomx and luftmensch repped this.
  24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't just keep money in those vaults anymore....

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article is behind a pay wall... Does anyone here actually have a paid subscription to the economist? Now the touchy reaction to disparaging bankers makes sense.

I feel like I am missing something here... The data indicates that the white crack slingers were less likely to carry over 280g once the law changed. Prior to the change, it appears they may have classified crack possession over 50g as 50g in many instances. This applies to blacks and whites alike... maybe administrative laziness or “box checking”. Also, it seems like the data gathered for white possession may be a smaller sample size. The reason I suspect this is because there are six times where a 10 gram incremental data point does not even register on the white chart. Meanwhile the black chart has every data point represented on both charts, pre and post 280g. Side note, they are comparing charts of a 11 year span to a 5 year span.

Maybe I am misreading, but is the 2.5% difference in convictions between whites and blacks at the 280g mark the supposed proof of racist policing? Even if I am wrong in guessing that there is less data for white offenders, it seems like a ridiculous gripe. It would basically be saying that since 2-3 out of every 100 crack dealers was discriminated against. It’s been a very long day, so I’m probably overlooking something or botching numbers.