Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But her emails....

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y’all should check out the MLS forums. Anti-racism is too controversial for MLS.

sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You've been around here long enough to know these people, and you've been around long enough to know MLS.

soccernutter repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s see if the Colts sign Kap.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hope one is a troll. The others are just regular dumbasses that never comment on games.

SetPeace repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They will not. And there will be someone around here to say, "He wasn't good enough".

Yeah, racism and fascism deserve a place at the table of ideas because free speech. Conveniently forgets that MLS stadiums are not public venues.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think it's gonna happen, and I sorta hope no one gives him a shot. He IS past his prime- the NFL made sure to wait long enough for that. , and rather than risk delighting White conservatives and centrists by not earning a starting spot or not being successful enough with one, he should probably give up the idea of playing again.

FWIW, Tommie Smith played in the AFL...

russ, Dominican Lou and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be beyond awesome if they did (but I know they won't). Just to see and hear the reaction of the current Vice President and former Indiana Governor would be worth the price of paying for cable TV!

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Jay Z - make the call

As far as talent goes, is RG3 still in the NFL? :D

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He would be instructed to leave before the anthem.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    It actually is.

Anti-racism, sadly, is a liberal to very liberal position. That's so far out of the mainstream for pro sports in the US that it's almost funny. The pro sports model in the US is to keep fans consuming as much as possible. You do that by seeking the biggest markets and by not being disruptive/divisive.

Personally, I don't give a damn about "the market" and loathe the American pro sports model. But that model's hold is stronger than white supremacy's, patriarchy's, anything. So if and when it starts being challenged, the clamp down will begin.

dapip, soccernutter, russ and 3 others repped this.
  12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Nevermore

russ, Dr. Wankler and sitruc repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All in for Week 1

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

Naw.

I always thought of Ryan Leaf as the epitome of wasted NFL QB talent.

russ repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    RG3 backing up in Baltimore.

I saw that OJ was pissed that Luck didn't announce his retirement earlier because he picked him for fantasy. So here's someone's reply:

It's called FOOTBALL and chaski repped this.
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ahh, the Thumb of Michigan. I am not surprised. Apparently she's dropped out of the race too.

Dr. Wankler and russ repped this.
  17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are people in that town who asked her to run,who will vote for her( or someone who is better at dogwhistles).

And she's not against the blacks like ,being alive.They just should live somewhere blacker,like Blackville.

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Some replies to OJ's tweets include crime scene photos of his victims. Proud of twitter for being merciless on that scumbag.
    Ugh, that's a sad reality that I hoped would have changed by now. All the Jewish, Italian, etc, name changing through the years, since the country's birth.

People at least owe an effort to pronounce a new name they never heard of. It's not that hard, and it shows respect.

As far as celebs who do it, I'd still rather call them Tom Mapother, Joan Molinsky, Natalie Hershlag, Mark Vincent...

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    charlie15 repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Prouder still if the folks on Twitter had a history of mercilessness. If he'd been convicted, they'd have been much more merciful. What's funny is, the LAPD tried to frame a man who was most likely guilty and it bit them on the ass. They treated a Black man with means like a Black man of means by no means.

And Denise Brown needs to sit down somewhere. You keep bandaging up your sister and sending her back to an obviously violent man so your kids could go to private schools, and then you want to do the advocate thing when he finally kills her.

It's not just Jews, either, tho. IIRC, David Jones changed his surname to Bowie because there was already a famous David Jones. Singer Paul Hewson goes by Bono Vox. Guitarist Dave Evans answers to The Edge. Drummer Richard Starkey, pianist Reginald Dwight, singer Yvette Stevens, bassist Gordon Sumner, bassist Michelle Johnson, actress Ruby Stevens... actor Mary Ann Morrison, guitarist Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr, singer LaDonna Gaines, bassist James Ambrose Johnson, Jr... there are more, but I don't know them.

I 100% agree that effort is deserved, but it's not the lack of effort that made them change the name. In the case of the Jewish actors and actresses, there was legit concern about getting parts. Does Eugene Horowitz get to be Little Joe Cartwright?

Rules to live by... don't go around comparing Black people to simians. It's been done enough times that increasingly fewer Black people care if it was a misstatement. Simians have straight hair and thin lips.

I've said it before- there are no slurs about White people that call into question their ability to govern or lead or compute or reason. None that imply that White people are unattractive.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are,but you have to do the secret handshake before we tell you.

Dr. Wankler, song219 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Republican" is getting there, though.

Auriaprottu and song219 repped this.
  23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I can see kids insulting each other years from now, "Your mother's a republican."

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Michael Keaton's real name is Michael Douglas and only goes by the former so there's no confusion with the other Michael Douglas. That and it was a rule thing I think with the Screen Actors Guild.

I also agree about effort but there's so many reasons people change up their names and sometimes it's just wanting to create a new identity for one's self. Some of the older generations of people I've met have told me their immigrant relatives (parents, aunts, uncles) never taught them their language because they saw no point in it.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Can't have two members with the same name. That's the reason for Michael J. Fox, E.G. Marshall, etc.