Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wen trying to prove racism does not exist (in this case antisemitism)

It does sound to good to be true (in how it turned out bad) so maybe it is some type of set up, we will see.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/victim-berlin-anti-semitic-attack-181945420.html

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Both sides...both sides

Homework assignment asks students to list positive aspects of slavery
    By Paul P. Murphy, CNN

Posted at 9:44 PM ET, Fri April 20, 2018

(CNN) — A Texas charter school is apologizing after a teacher gave an assignment to an eighth grade American History class, asking students to list the positive aspects of slavery.

"When I first read it, I thought, this was b.s.," said Great Hearts Monte Vista eighth-grade student Manu Livar.

Students in the class were supposed to complete an assignment on the "positive aspects" and "negative aspects" of the life of slaves, giving a "balanced view." Manu said his teacher told them to draw on information from their textbook and "stuff that we could think of the top off our head."

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/20/us...ework-assignment-slavery-trnd0951PMStory&rm=1

jmartin1966 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apparently, it depends on how it's done.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/10/test-racism-sexism-unconscious-bias/

Employers are now under immense pressure from investors, employees, and even the White House to mitigate these biases, which study after study have shown can negatively affect a company’s bottom line. In the last couple of years, a growing number of companies have taken steps to air diversity dirty laundry by releasing annual reports about the makeup of their workforces. Some industry giants, such as Apple and Intel, have committed hundreds of millions of dollars to diversity initiatives. The bottom line: It’s getting harder and harder for companies to ignore the issue, and implementing anti-bias training is one concrete step that’s relatively easy to take.

But while it’s clear why companies are turning unconscious bias training, the verdict is still out on whether the sessions are effective. The vast majority of the research is inconclusive—and one study even found that the training can have negative effects, validating individuals’ biases and thereby perpetuating them. . . .

And does it work?

. . . .
    To get an expert opinion on the session, I reached out to Alexandra Kalev, a professor of sociology at Tel Aviv University who has studied diversity initiatives extensively.

Kalev said FCB avoided many of the pitfalls that can cause a session to have harmful effects. For one, the exercise was voluntary, a key factor in avoiding negative outcomes. “When training is related to business goals and it’s voluntary there is more internalization of motives. When training is about pointing fingers and it’s mandatory, managers just don’t buy into it,” she explained.

Moreover, the session was tied closely to business goals, and was tailored to the advertising industry, also best practices according to Kalev. However, what will probably prove most effective, she says, is FCB’s plan to create a diversity task force staffed by volunteers from across its local offices. This will expand the lessons of the training beyond a one-time experience and create accountability.

Given that this article is three years old, it's likely that the programs have been refined.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has got to be some curriculum out there because this happened locally in January.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...n-school-slavery-homework-20180111-story.html

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, here is the thing. Starbucks jumped on this, rightly, but I'd like to see the training. As @Dr. Wankler noted, there are quite a few POC who work at Starbucks and I'm sure they don't need the training in the same manner. But, as the article that the good Dr. just posted tells us, this is not limited to Starbucks. This is the small type of racism which happens all the time. It is the shifting away in the elevator. It is not holding the door open. It is the forgetting to refill water. It is the being asked to leave 2 minutes after arriving.

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just today an old white guy at the store was looking for a line.The most open line was staffed by an African American girl.I waved him ahead of me(he had a full cart,I was in no hurry).He looked right at the AA cashier and turned away and went to a different line.
    WTF.

Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's woulda caught that niqqer disease if had gone in that line.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually the N1663R strain of the flu. Very contagious.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #5061 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Heres a new twist. Black dude in a MAGA hat & shirt makes anti-Mexican comments, punches then shoves a guy onto the subway tracks. Victim was pulled to safety.

And no, I don't believe it's Ray Lewis.:D

The subway shover who donned a red “Make America Great Again” shirt and hat when he pushed a Hispanic man onto the Manhattan subway tracks last week spewed racial slurs at his victim and mimicked campaign statements made by President Trump, authorities said Sunday.

“You f—ing Mexicans,” the suspect shouted at his 24-year-old victim, cops said.

The strangers were aboard a northbound No. 4 train Friday around 8:15 p.m. when the altercation started.

“You come here and you take our jobs,” the attacker continued. “You bring drugs.”

Both men got off the train at Union Square/14th Street subway station, and the unhinged man then punched his victim several times in the head and pushed him onto the train tracks.

The victim was pulled to safety by a friend and a passer-by. He was transported to an area hospital for a cut on his head.

maga.jpg

https://nypost.com/2018/04/22/subway-shover-in-maga-hat-spouted-anti-mexican-slurs/

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That dude is not sane.

You wanna guess how I know?

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're all about desegregation

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Conservative parents are guiding certain states through the process of whitewashing America's history as it pertains to... well, pretty much everybody, at some point.

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Duh. Ashy skin is not contagious. :p

Auriaprottu and raza_rebel repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if put in the right context, it is a good question. I've actually disguised that same question in my classroom, but I put the context to it that we know slavery is bad, but if it is so bad, why did people think it could be good? Got my students to think about the other side, and the ensuing discussion was about how to get people out of that mentality.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The slave holders include some very fine people.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To quote a favorite of you both

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-maher-the-only-late-night-host-willing-to-challenge-the-left

He did say getting fvcked in the ass as a negative, so that can be considered homophobic, so I will apologize in advance for quoting that before the SJW police comes after me.

getting it up the ass, can be a very agreeable and rewarding experience to many people, so if I caused offense to those people that enjoy getting it up the ass, I apologize for implying (by quoting) that it can always be negative.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hmm...wish politics, local & national, was that simple to be boiled down into a Bill Maher one liner. And if lib'ruls don't defend minorities, overweight people and the muslims Bill likes to shit on, who will?

And F'd in the A can apply to anyone. He's from Jersey. It's how we talk.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I meant it ironically,and Obama was President,so checkmate h8erz!!!

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Where could he have learned this? Cough...Teabaggers...cough

89fba0e042fb398dbc1c29356f75d60b.jpg

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  22. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Some good news

Very fine person
    White supremacist found guilty in attack on black man at Charlottesville . Facing 5 -20 years.

http://hill.cm/9yutOgA

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu and soccernutter repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Trumpers will quietly start a defense fund

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Follow up to the Philly Starbucks fustercluck: the two men reach a settlement with the city...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-young-entrepreneurs/?utm_term=.346876f9f72d

Two African American men arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks last month have reached a settlement with the city and secured its commitment to a pilot program for young entrepreneurs.

Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson chose not to pursue a lawsuit against the city, Mike Dunn, a spokesman for the city of Philadelphia, told The Washington Post. Instead, they agreed to a symbolic payment of $1 each and asked the city to fund $200,000 for a grant program for high school students aspiring to become entrepreneurs.

Class move by the guys.