Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    As someone who comes from a family of Armed Services vets and marrying into a Gold Star family, I have never had even heard of a service member or vet acting in this manner. I am surprised how he reacted IF he was a vet since approximately 1/6 of the Army is Hispanic and 11% for all armed services.

TBH most of my interactions with former military have been positive. I have seen a family member removing my niece's ball cap when the National Anthem started. If someone says 'thanks you for your service' they usually say 'You're Welcome'. Although I have seen vets correcting people that are just trying to show respect to those that serve them. They look like asses.

stanger, soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are obviously exceptions, but most people I knew from my hometown and from college who had overt racist tendencies when they went into the armed forces were less racist after a few years. In fact, among those I've been in contact with since then, it's been universally so.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's usually always someone bigger, meaner and browner in your unit that is curious to hear about your views on race in America.

Auriaprottu, Belgian guy, dapip and 3 others repped this.
  4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or with more stripes.

Auriaprottu, dapip and Moishe repped this.
  5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A conversation related to me a few years ago:

PVT Sanders: Hey, can you turn down the rap. No one likes that shit.

PVT Hughes: What's your name again? Sanders? That's a black name, you should like rap. You got any black in you Sanders?

PVT Sanders: Hell no I ain't got any black in me.

PVT Hughes: You will tonight...

Belgian guy and dapip repped this.
  6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was first in the military, I remember talking to one of the guys in my unit who had gone home to South Carolina for Christmas. He took home some photos of himself with guys in his unit, and in one, he had his arm around one of the black guys in our squad. He was apparently chewed out by his grandma for doing so (this was in the early 80's).

I had a hard time actually believing him, but he was pretty broken up about it -- mostly because he finally realized how ********ed up his family actually was. He and that black guy ended up becoming best friends and still are to my knowledge.

Belgian guy and crazypete13 repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just say thanks for paying for my college.

raza_rebel and roadkit repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the glorification stuff that the military gets which nobody else gets...or nobody who does not operate in law enforcement. Speak to anybody who works in social services in the 'hood, or those who go to war zones and volunteer to be some non-military type person. Almost nobody will say "thanks for your service" even though those people are doing probably more to help society than the military. When I was teaching, I would initially get "that's a tough job" type comments. When I explained what I actually did, and that I have a body count, then I get the comments which are more along the line of "thanks." But even then, it is more along the lines of "keep up the good work" or "good luck." I'm not complaining that I want the "thanks for your service" type comment, but it is deference to the military that is disrespectful to all those other people who probably more to create a safe society...except the rest of us don't carry guns.

raza_rebel repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A link in that article has more on the white-power terrorist suspect... Some seriously crazy rants down near the bottom.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/05/2...cial-slurs-at-a-free-speech-rally-last-month/

I shook the killer's filthy hand 28 days ago. Mine feels tainted now, as though I somehow sanctioned his act, though I was only trying to get some information out of him.

He had just marched through Montavilla Park chanting "************" {n-word} and throwing fascist salutes, wearing an American Revolutionary War flag like a cape.

It was this act that sparked the first moment of chaos at the "free speech" rally on April 29 in Montavilla Park, which then proceeded down 82nd Avenue, a miserable replacement for a neighborhood parade canceled due to the threat of political violence. The man in the flag cape was quickly swarmed by scrawny young antifa kids, then by officers from the Portland Police Bureau.

After the scrum dispersed, I stood by watching while police searched his backpack. They seemed to know that, prior to the march, he had posted a Facebook message threatening to "shoot to kill POLICE if they ATTEMPT DISARM" anyone openly carrying a firearm to the rally.

Sudžuka repped this.
  10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's probably more contact with people not like them as the reason for the change, not fear. The most racist people I have encountered are the most insulated in their specific community. The military pretty much destroys that insulation and forces you to rely on people of all backgrounds.

KCFutbol and roby repped this.
  11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's both. You are forced to rely on each other, but there's always one or two that will find their confirmation bias in any person.

soccernutter and roby repped this.
  12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Man, some of those are more incoherently loony than the ravings of the terror suspect.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Doing The Right Thing Shouldn’t Be This Remarkable
    Leaders with integrity are hard to find in 2017. It’s not just Donald Trump’s fault.

By Emily Peck

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu stood up last week and delivered a moving, bracingly honest speech to explain why he removed four Confederate monuments from his city.

“You elected me to do the right thing, and this is what it looks like,” Landrieu told the crowd gathered at New Orleans’ former city hall. “These monuments purposefully celebrate a fictional, sanitized Confederacy, ignoring the death, ignoring the enslavement and the terror that it actually stood for.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/politicians-doing-the-right-thing_us_59288529e4b0065b20b698db

soccernutter repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Didnt Alabama pass a law that the great great great great grandson of Robert E Lee will bayonet anyone who tries to remove a Confederate war memorial?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A fella I've been canvassing with for the election goes out 'tooled up', as it used to be called...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Back in 78, 3 of us half drunk farts hiked the Kalalau Trail on Kauai. At one stage I started singing "Marching through Georgia " I'd learned it in school in Liverpool. Harry my good southern buddy went awfully quiet. Then later he told me that it was the first time he'd ever heard it. I guess that they didn't teach it in his school.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's my defense, should I ever need it, as an adherent of the Red Road and it is my right of religious expression to carry them.

Naughtius Maximus and Belgian guy repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Free haircuts?

roby repped this.
  20. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The injured good Samaritan is a student who once won an award for a poem against Islamophobia. Seems like all three were good/decent individuals that probably already contributed more and would have contributed more to society than the asshat who killed/injured them would have even if he lived to be 1000 years old.

Reading up about that killer, how was he even still a free man? Why are these guys allowed to continue until they escalate into committing a very violent crime? Reading about the guy's background, it definitely was a matter of when and not if he was going to escalate to serious physical violence.

luftmensch repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Expect a Trump statement on it...around never

And to further show how Trumpism has enboldended the Economically Insecure, check out this N-word spewing woman who's also running for Southampton, NY village board:

Ms. Smith said she purchased the home in the largely African-American Hillcrest neighborhood nearly six years ago. She said she converted a “rodent-infested dump” into an oasis. “I came into this neighborhood colorblind,” she said. “… When you are a pioneer, like I am, it’s not easy. I’m the only white person who owns and lives on this street.”

Southampton Village Police Department Lieutenant Chris Wetter said that over the past six years, Ms. Smith has called the police department between 100 and 200 times. Most of the complaints were about litter, noise, illegal parking and public drinking.

Ms. Smith admitted to making that many calls, saying her neighborhood is neglected.

One night, she said, she couldn’t sleep in her bedroom because of the noise coming from in front of her house. So she put on some shoes and walked outside.

“I said, ‘You f------ ************s!’ and they just dispersed,” Ms. Smith recalled.

The next night, when she came home, she saw them in front of her house again, and heard one of the men call her name. Ms. Smith asked who he was, and he replied that he was the man she had used the racial slur toward the night before.

In relating the story, she referred to the man, who she said was in his 30s, as “boy,” and said she told him, “I know you’re a good guy, but you don’t behave like that … If you want to behave like that, you’re going to be a ************.”

Ms. Smith said she has been harassed by the people in the neighborhood, but not everyone, because she recognizes that there are good people there. Instead, she said a large portion of the problems are from the traffic that comes in from Flanders and Riverside.

“I am entitled to peace and quiet and enjoyment in my residence,” said Ms. Smith, who said she now sleeps in her basement because she can’t sleep in her bedroom when the noise outside is loud.

Ms. Smith announced her candidacy in the upcoming Southampton Village Board election, her first run for public office, saying she was prompted in part by wanting to get some attention to her neighborhood. She said she has no plans to drop out of the race.

“That’s why I’m running for trustee,” Ms. Smith said. “This neighborhood needs help.”

http://www.27east.com/mobile/articl...Racial-Slur-In-Call-To-Police-Recording-Shows

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    "Pioneer."

Always love that one. :rolleyes: