News: Racial Slurs at WCQ?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by sidspaceman, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I beleive all of us have made many valid points, the insults are self-gratifying.

You want talk seriously but you use 5 year old logic. You accuse Sid of hating the US because he hates the USNT? and US is in the name.

I just switched banks, from US Bank to Citibank. I hated US Bank's service, does this make me unamerican. Afterall, US is in the name.

since you're complaining...thanks the red nip

2. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    USMNT is the US national team, US banks are alot of them. ur logic is pretty childish.

3. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    :confused:

"I know you are! but what I?"

4. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Dude, you're using the exact same logic...hence the ridiculous point:rolleyes:

Let me guess, you must be one of those people that think the Colbert Report is like the Daily Show...but for Republicans.

5. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS
    The shame of slavery still clouds thier minds.

6. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'll admit that. I've run into racist fans at U.S. games (and I call them out when I do).

But I still think this story is a little bit odd. I've seen anti-Hispanic racism at games in the U.S., even in the Sam's Army section, but I can't say I've ever seen anti-Black racism, which is much more of a taboo here...sadly, racism against Hispanics is much more socially acceptable in the U.S. right now. Also, the "monkey" taunt just isn't one I've ever heard here in the U.S., while it's pretty routine in Europe.

It is also an odd thing to hear from a U.S. fan because of the makeup of our team. It's not just a question of having "a black player," as someone said about Spain. In the T&T match, fourteen players played for the U.S., seven white players and seven arguably "non-white," including five black men (Tim Howard, Oguchi Onyewu, DaMarcus Beasley, Rico Clark, Eddie Johnson). If there was a serious problem with racist fans, I'd expect them to have something to say about it.

I'm not saying it's impossible or that it didn't happen. After all, if racists had common sense they wouldn't be racists, and if a few racist U.S. fans are ignorant enough to yell "Go back to Mexico" at Argentinians, they're dumb enough to do anything. But if you'd asked us which of the qualifying games the racism allegations would show up at, this would have been my last guess.

I'd expect it to be taken seriously and for there to be an investigation, but I'm not that concerned in the long term about an allegation by one player about one game. Now, if you really want to talk about racism in American soccer...why was there only one Hispanic-American player on the field or even suited up for the U.S. national team? ODP and the USMNT don't seem to have a problem finding and promoting talented black and white kids, but somehow Latinos who live in the U.S. (and make up more of the population than blacks do) just aren't interested in playing soccer?

7. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I know this is old

but I seem to remember an incident during a New England Revolution game where some fans were yelling racial things to an African American player.

lol at the one's implying it wasn't a Yank.

8. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    This is one massive circle jerk about an incident that T&T didn't deem important enough to report.

My 2 cents: If it really happened, they would've and should've reported it to FIFA.

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I guess you must of missed this post.

10. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: 2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua

Oh yeah.

Bunch of xenophobes.

11. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not sure but I think most rapes go unreported...doesn't mean it doesn't happen and it doesn't mean they didn't care.

12. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Wierd analogy:confused:

Here the player told the papers but not the authorities that could do something about it.

That would be like a rape victim going public so she can feel the embarrassment of the publicity but not press any charges.

If your point is that most incidents of racial abuse go unreported, I'm sure you're right.

My point is if this incident really happened, then T&T should treat it seriously and take it to FIFA to investigate.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He told the ref who told him the Fed would have to be the one to file a formal complaint.

14. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I think FIFA should force all fans with the intention of making racist remarks to wear their ID around their neck, so everybody knows where they're from.

Or better yet, they should be forced to say "I am such and such from X country and I approve this message" right after their monkey chants.

Until then, we'll have to rely on the subjective approach of assuming they are from the team opposing the one receiving the racist remarks. We'll also assume they're dumbasses.

15. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You're missing the point...why should T&T have to do anything? Why should the player have to go out of his way to get somthing done...he's the victim. It happened in the states. I'm done with the whole subject, you guys simply refuse to accept the fact that you guys have some straight hateful, ugly people in your cheering section.

T&T probably should make more of a stink but just because they don't doesn't mean that we should ignore it. I'm sure its easier to close your eyes and just leave it to someone else to fix. I'm sure most of you would rather not hear about it...out of sight out of mind.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it happened, but the posts in the other thread that was closed from my fellow Americans who think that this is somehow so far from reality, is itself far from reality. The notion that "if" it happened, the white crowd would rise up and chastise the offenders (as was stated numerous times in that thread) because we are all so far above that at this stage is simply laughable, at best.

Hell, last night I was at a Washington Nationals game, in the middle of the same city that was formerly known as "chocolate city", and right in front of me in the 8th inning of that game, 2 Black guys ended up in a screaming match in the front row down the 3rd base line with about 5 or so white guys. 1 of the Black dudes was ENRAGED and was being restrained by the other as the white guys continued to curse. I realized I knew the Black dude (goes by Immortal), as he used to be my barber. So after the stadium security removed the white guys, I went down to speak to Immortal. What happened? These guys started yelling the N-word i guess to Met outfielders, and my barber was sitting in the seat directly in front of them. This was verified by the white people sitting all around them (which was why they were thrown out and not my barber). Not a single person other than the 2 Black people said a word. Not one.

I know that people want to act like things are hunky dory here, but that simply aint the case. The idea that it couldn't have happened because it wasn't reported at the time is silly. Hell, Eto'o reported it in Spain and when nothing was done, he began walking off the field ..... and he caught a bit of flak for that as well.

17. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    You are so far off I don´t even know where to start. Do you realize how many people hate Obama and refuse to vote for him just because he´s black? Did you watch the Democratic primaries? And the closest thing Nicaragua ever had to a Democracy was a communist government which was repeatedly re-elected just to stick it to the CIA installed dictators, despite ruining the country. The entire Central America has been ruined by CIA-funded dictators, and Costa Rica´s economy has gone down, while the crime rate has gone way up, due to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants from the rest of Central America(Nicaraguans in particular) flooding into the country.

I agree that there´s racism everywhere, but to try and claim that Colombia and Latin America are much worse than the US is ubsurd.

It happened several times in the MLS, Tab Ramos did it to a Jamaican player too. But in all honesty this is just something no-one in America with an IQ over 80 does, yell racial slurs into a camera, not even racists. Unlike other parts of the world, racism is very covert and they tend to speak in code language. Like someone else said, I´m betting it was Eastern Europeans, considering it was in Chicago and they have a large amount of Eastern Europeans there, and that it´s the most segregated city in America(with an ugly racial history.) I think racism against Mexicans and Central Americans is pretty open, but against blacks, it´s social suicide to do something like this.

18. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    again with the lame "the white crowd would rise up and chastise him" that crap is full of bull on so many levels.

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Like they did in Columbus.:rolleyes:

20. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I remember I was at the Dynamo vs Chivas game during the summer and some white dynamo fan yells ¨go mow my lawn¨ I turn around and look at him, nobody gave him a ¨beat down¨instead people were like ¨I don't know him, we dont know you.¨ Like I said that is nonsense

21. truesoccerfan

truesoccerfan New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    los angeles
    Dis racist crap!! is way overblown oready..dis zhit happens even in european leagues like serie A and Germany bundesliga not to say in EPL..is the same passion for soccer...STOP been wussies about it just cause your favorite club or NT lost the game.

22. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Are you a true soccer fan?

23. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    in these leagues you mention usually fine the clubs were the racism occurs and or bans the venue.

here in the US there are no such things to keep racism under control

24. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    This thread is getting almost as bad as el mero mero's STFU thread about Beasley being taunted in Scotland.

25. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i agree
    CANDADO