News: Racial Slurs at WCQ?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by sidspaceman, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua

Terrible, of course. But what are they going to do about it, really? You can't keep every idiot from attending the matches. Do you want the U.S. to be punished for something like this? There's no way to control stupidity.

Out of curiosity, how did he know they were U.S. supporters?

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

You really think T&T supporters would be calling him monkey and using racial slurs?

4. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ummm... are you suggesting that the world is divided into two categories? U.S. supporters and T&T supporters?

That's news to me.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

How pathetic can you be. I know you guys like to pretend that US players and fans are angles and all but don't to try and pass the buck.:rolleyes:

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, you still didn't address my point. The people yelling those slurs probably were Americans. And there is clearly almost no way they were T&T supporters. But how can you know that for sure? They could have been from anywhere.

I took offense to your labeling them as "U.S. Supporters". The connotations of that makes it seem like it was a large group, or at least people that were definitely identified as U.S. fans/Americans. There was nothing in the article that you linked to that stated anything like that. It merely said that he was heckled by some fans in the corner. I never said our fans were angels. I'm sure there are some racists among us. There are racists everywhere. I'm not disputing this. All I'm saying is that you don't know that those people were "U.S. supporters".

Again, it is despicable behavior, and it shouldn't be tolerated. But there wasn't anything in that article that specifically pointed out that it was U.S. supporters. You think people from other countries that happen to live in the U.S. don't go to these games? Call me pathetic if you like, but that doesn't make me wrong.

Edit: Why not just call them fans? It's just the media being sensationalist again. They know that by titling the article "U.S. Supporters" they'll generate more readers and probably outrage. But there wasn't anything in the article that provided proof. There might be proof, but they didn't mention it. Either that, or it was an assumption. The media making assumptions isn't something that really surprises me.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

The title of the article is Gray gets racial slurs from U.S supporters . If you have a problem with the title I suggest you send a letter to the writer of the article. Oh by the way I know that there are a lot of racist amongst you guys.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  8. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are plenty of racists from every country, Sid.

Let's not get into a "your fans are more abusive than our fans" debate.

If this incident occurred as reported, the perpetrators should be punished. Something FAR more likely to happen in the US than in T&T.

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh by the way didn't I just say the same thing in the post immediately before yours? :rolleyes:

I thought about writing a note to him until I saw the source. I guarantee his ears would be even more closed than yours. It would be pointless.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

What a typical reaction from a USMNT apologist. Sure go ahead and bury your heads in the sand.:rolleyes:

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You posted a link to an article on socawarriors.net, which explicitly states that the T&T team hasn't even filed a complaint. There isn't even something to apologize for. As opposed to batteries and piss...

Get your head out of (something other than sand) and provide some evidence.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Don't shoot the messenger.

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, because admitting there are racist U.S. fans, which I did, is burying my head. There's a difference between saying that there are some racist U.S. fans and alluding that a large number of the fans are such or assuming that the fans that yelled slurs at Gray are such. I love how you ignore everything of substance in my posts and just continue on your rant. Do you just not want to admit that you/they were wrong?

14. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris

yeah, but you're late.

the Gray incident is regrettable, but our federation never pays attention to these things - be it club vs country disputes, unruly behaviour by opposing fans or suspect refereeing.

I suspect they have their hands full stashing away dollar bills.

15. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS

I have to put my 2 cents and Moderators should not have to threaten to yellow or red card anybody, it was a game between T&T and USA....so its definetly on topic. THe problem here is that us soccer supporters have been outkast here in the states. WHat I mean by outkast is that they are notlike the normal american football fan and they have been more open to other races and know the soccer game as an international game....no what we have with the expansion of MLS to "middle america" is a whole new breed of americans that refer back to the era of their mamis and papis that were acustomed to saying the N word to describe folks. See this is the problem that they are cool until emotions overflow and their true sentiment comes out like in this case....racial is a part of everyday life in this country and the perfect example is the message about how divided supporters are...I mean the guy says that they were supporters and maybe they were from other races or other countries and not "american" supporters....what a bunch of crap....you love latinos and other races when they support the US but know that racist people are around you exclude them...pathetic.....Although I must respect your attempts to sweep the deeply rooted racist history under the rug....

what a sad event....I wonder what Eddie Johnson thinks?

16. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Discuss Here:

17. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its stupid to say it was some other fan other than USMNT. was this not a USMNT vs Jamaica match? who else could it be?

haha

18. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS
    He is just as a racist, now he is trying to defend his point by posting that maybe it was a "colored" fan and not a pure US SUpporter.

by colored I mean: anyone of immigrant descent.

19. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    A Trinidad & Tobago fan :rolleyes:...Jamaican fans were either in Mexico City or cleaning up after Gustav

20. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh yeah

lol, that shows my knowledge and :care: on these teams.

but back to the subject at hand.

meh.

21. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa

Yea cuz it probably would never happen lol. we prefer to enjoy ourselves ;).

22. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm... if you're talking about me I never said or suggested it was a "colored" fan as you put it. Never said anything about some BS "pure US supporter". It could have been anyone was my point. I don't care what color the person shouting the slurs was because color does not make someone American. If anyone is guilty of profiling it's the people who were assuming that the racists shouting at the game were American simply because they were white. And we don't even know that they were white. I've met racists of all colors. Hell, I've even known some black people who made fun of/abused other black people who were lighter or darker than they were themselves. And I don't just mean casually teasing either. I'm not going to use the terms here, but unfortunately we've probably all heard them before. Just shows you how stupid/ignorant racism really is.

Btw, I'm of immigrant descent. So, not sure what your point is there, either.

And if you really want to get down to it I'd argue that anyone who is racist is not a true US Supporter, regardless of what race they happen to be themselves. It goes against the true ideals of what America is. But, it's an ideal, and unfortunately we do have racist supporters, as does every other nation. I do not deny that we do have racist supporters, I've said it several times, but I'm still awating proof that the people shouting the slurs were American.

23. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    haha, that is funny. True denial.

So what man, you have a USMNT Racist fan. Its going to be ok. you dont have to defend it with your life. lol

I especially like the "he is not a true us fan"

haha, thats crazy, but amusing.

pls continue.

24. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that denial? Denying that the person shouting was automatically a U.S. supporter or American simply because they were at the match? Fine, then I am denying that.

How many times do I have to say that there are racist Americans and racist U.S. supporters before you stop telling me that I'm denying it?

Oh, and the "he is not a true us fan" thing may be amusing to you. But as I said, it's an idealistic sentiment. And how could a racist be a true U.S. fan anyway, considering the racial/ethnic make up of our team? If he's racist then he must not really support the players on the team that don't fit his choice ethnicity, right? The U.S. is not like the majority of other countries in the world where nationality often equals ethnicity/race. Most of the countries in the Western Hemisphere are like this as I'm sure you know.

The thing that started this for me was the automatic labeling of the offenders as U.S. supporters, something that hasn't been backed up yet. If they backed it up, or if they had simply left out the U.S. supporter part then I wouldn't object to the article. I'll say it again, for at least the seventh time, there are racist U.S. supporters, but not all of us are racist and I don't like that implication.

Guicho: "I mean the guy says that they were supporters and maybe they were from other races or other countries and not 'american' supporters"

I never said that, I thought I made it clear. I said that they may have been from some other country, which definitely makes them not an American, unless they have adopted the U.S. as their country, you know, become a citizen, or on the path to citizenship. I never said that "maybe they were from other races" and therefore not American. Don't read that into what I said.

Yeah, the odds are that they were U.S. supporters. I said that before. But just assuming that they were with no proof other than they were white or that they were in attendance at the match is racist/prejudice itself. It's not anywhere near as bad as their own behavior, but it's still wrong.

25. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    easy, he can be anti eddie johnson, adu, and altidore.

no one is generalizing here. He said someone called him that. Who else is it going to be a TnT fan? or maybe his mom? that would make sense. Of course its going to be a US fan. whats so surprising about that?

your just twisting it and making it more complicated, to your convenience. Yo dont want to admit that your holy legion of fans has a racist in the midst.

its going to be ok.

:D