R16 July 3 Colombia v. England [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At least we qualified

waitforit and RobTheFool repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoddle was better than zidane..more of an apt comparison. James is a top player but not as good as kane

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh sorry, my bad. Here you go, just for shits and giggles as it obviously gets your back up!

Just let me know if you want to see more, it’s no problem there’s plenty going around.

roverman, lynesjc and Phillyspur repped this.
  4. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, every morning I'm having a good laugh at the It's Coming Home memes. Hilarious. Long may they continue. The Neymar ones are good too. The Cantona one shows that even the French can learn to be funny if they've spent enough time in England.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Stop calling people pansies.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    RobTheFool repped this.
  7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I said it before: the English are not the Japanese and they weren't Mother Theresas. But the Colombians largely brought this all upon themselves by protesting and complaining to the referee. Did you see that? Why didn't Colombia limit itself to showing the good soccer it displayed after the 30th minute mark in the second half and during most of the first half of overtime?

If it were England that was trailing 1-0, I would at least have understood that as part of an overall strategy to anger and to destabilize the English. It would've been dirty play, but at least it would have made sense from a strategic perspective. But their team was losing and they wanted to waste time complaining?

And the other sad aspect of all this is that Colombia, minus the absence of the injured James Rodriguez, has a good team. It would the group despite losing to Japan. These chances are rare, and it's not guaranteed that Jose Pekerman, who has done a great job during his 6-year tenure, will stay. He is likely the best manager they've ever had (better than many managers in this World Cup) and who will replace him now, if he chooses to leave?

8. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    To be fair, I think I would look good against some of the shit they have in the German league.

It's a one team league. Enjoy the rest of your career James, because you aren't good enough to mix it with the big boys.

9. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    But then again, being American, you probably don't understand the game.

You're probably relying on stats.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with this - James absolutely lit up 2014, and he was obviously a big loss to Colombia.

Whether his presence would have allowed Colombia to win is an unprovable hypothetical. Still, BigSoccer is full of confident declarative statements about will happen before games, that turn out to be completely wrong. Similarly, after the fact like here, people rush to state firmly what would have happened, if,... but the result stands.

England fans know very well what it's like to have your key player missing or hobbled through injury. In past tournaments this happened to Beckham, Owen and Rooney. And no, I'm not comparing anyone directly to James, or Zidane, or Pele, or God Almighty.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Before the group stages, a lot of them had England down to lose against Tunisia and draw/lose against Panama. Chuckle

12. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    English fans even mourn when they don't win the WC, as if they were Brazil, Germany or Italy (I doubt there's at least one here in this forum who experienced a single English title as an adult - or even as a teen).
    They don't realize that the rest of the world see them achieving a semi already as a huge success - and winning it all once a century as nothing but an achievable miracle!
    It's perfectly understandable when you know some people can't realize that "Rule, Britannia!" is a quarter millenium old.

calabrese8 repped this.
  13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Better than most brits, that’s for damn sure. Unlike them I know something about the sport outside of my tiny island

calabrese8 repped this.
  14. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Yes you're only good at sports that only Americans play.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Can you point out some examples of this?

Hideo and bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  16. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rule Britannia was written by a Scot in an attempt to help foster a British rather than separate English and Scottish identities so that he would be better accepted in the Royal Court and make money. It is also a song about preventing slavery referring to the Barbary Pirates that at the time of writing still raided for slaves from Britain and Ireland. The memory of which is surely a part of the reason that the UK was so prominent in outlawing slavery using the Royal Navy to do so. A navy that was dominant up to the first world war.

Enough history. You clearly don't know what England fans think about football as we're delighted to be in a quarter final even with such an average team. It is Brazil who are gutted when they don't win it. Anyway I like Brazilians so best of luck for the rest of the tournament. We all hope one day to again see a Brazil team as good as that of 1982. Despite your failure to win that tournament with its strange second round format Brazil played exceptional entertaining football. No-one else is ever likely to achieve this so we hope you can do so again.

Phillyspur repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Easy Tiger, you have done it now, you have only gone and upset the Scots, Welsh and Irish :eek:

Steve Page repped this.
  18. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    And that's our job.

roby and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. Globehead

Globehead Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    I see Maradona apologized to FIFA for his comments about the ref in England-Colombia. FIFA's response should be "Don't worry about it Diego. We know you're an idiot and we expect to do and say stupid things. No need to apologize."

Hideo, roverman, Guinho and 2 others repped this.
  20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Colombians, they can dish it out in spades but when they get some back they start balling their eyes out, hilarious.

22. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And who on earth is @StevenChicken ffs? Aren't you supposed to be moderating this forum, troll pure and simple.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Course u do

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There is only one decent journalist from football 365 and that’s Daniel Storey, the rest aren’t worth jack!

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Besides that, he also wiped the floor with England.