[R] WTF happened after Hleb got hurt?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Dec 2, 2007.

1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i realize i am a sasha hleb homer, blah blah.
    but look beyond that, we absolutely fell apart possession-wise!
    we completely owned villa in that first half with flamini-diarra-hleb-rosicky doing party tricks. When hleb came off, we played division 2 football chunking it forward.
    was it wenger's poor decision to bring on walcott, but move him a winger who never tracked back?
    this discussion cannot include cesc as he was never an option...
    im sure villa stepped up their game a bit, but damn.. we couldnt hold the ball, period.

cant believe some of you who bashed hleb.... he is zidane-esque!
    ("double e, with a french name, eh, ******** it"):D

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    :rolleyes: ;)

where's skizz? this can't go in the match thread :p

3. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    it doesnt really matter now does it dan?

4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    nah, not really :D

pretty much agree with everything you said.

5. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda worrying how lost we've looked without Cesc or Hleb.

6. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as worrying as United without Rooney and Ronaldo.

7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Cesc and Hleb have shown themselves to be the best players on the team. Any team would be lost without their two best players. I'd also agree that Walcott shouldn't have been on the wing during that game.

I think that Wenger is still working on how to use Tomas. He's found Hleb a position behind the striker where he's thrived, and it's just a matter of time before Tomas starts to really explode. At this time I'm not sure what Rosicky's best position is on the squad.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hleb is our best and most influental attacker... we were lost on the road without him... that is what happened

9. G dot Ozo

G dot Ozo New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    NJ
    We were out of sorts from the very start of the second half really, it was like we totally switched off after that brilliant first half. Villa did up their game, but we were absolutely shocking. Even before Hleb got injured. I'm hoping he'll be fit asap, because I don't think we can get away with playing minus Cesc and Hleb for too long.

10. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I think everyone knows the difference in performance between first and second half has been a tradition for years. We always take our foot off the pedal.

11. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    ^^^^^ not so. Consider how many goals we've scored at the end of games. I think we depend on Cesc's delivery and Hleb's holding power. Without them, we don't know where to pass/make runs, and nobody dribbles enough to draw defenders. Walcott may, but his tendency is to blaze down the sideline...Hleb doesn't blaze as much as get defenders close to him, then cut through or make a short pass. I don't know how many times he's threaded a triagle of defenders, but I love it, every single time.

12. art'n'sue

art'n'sue BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 2005
    Outside backs bunkered, I don't even remember Clichy or Sagna going forward in the 2nd half.

13. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Oh come on, we may get late goals but if we are winning at half time that period between 45 - 70 minutes, we always take our foot off the pedal. How many goals have we scored in THAT period this year when we have been leading at half time? IMPORTANT goals, not scrappy ones against the likes of Derby.

And yes, we do finish strongly. I did not take away from that.

14. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    okay, fair enough.

though "if we are winning at half time" is a rarity, almost, huh?

you're right though

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between taking your foot off the gas and not being able to string two passes together. Usually if we're up we'll just start having a kick around, stroking the ball all over the pitch without going for goal. In the Villa game we couldn't even keep posession for more than a few seconds.

16. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    I completely agree with people saying about every team looks lost without their two best players. I mean you look at Chelsea and their lost without Drogba. You look at Liverpool and their lost without Gerrard. I don't know about Man U because I haven't seen them enough to comment.

However, I think that Adebayor is on the same level as hleb as being the best players in the team. I mean not completely because of him but partly because of him we haven't missed Henry's goals. I really don't think we have got that much to worry about with regards to this because as far as I can see we haven't dropped that much without cesc and hleb. I mean come on guys we starting to sound like Liverpool fans. We're both unbeaten in the league so far and we're both complaining.

No1ArsenalFan aka Rich Smith

17. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

Is this some sort of automatically-inserted signature or do you actually type it manually every time you post?

18. Skizz

Skizz Guest

No line so it's not an automatic sig.

19. Arsh287

Arsh287 New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    the moment I saw carew make that stupid/oafish/painful tackle on hleb, I thought, oh shit. Our deadly axis of evil is hleb + cesc + rvp... each of whom can be considered world-class in their position.

rvp can basically create a goal out of nothing, cesc can needle passes through multiple players from just about any angle or distance, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to take the ball from hleb when he feels like dribbling about with it.

with just one of those three, our attacking threat is exponentially increased, for the aforementioned reasons. for some reason, rosicky, who is bloody talented, just does not seem to want to run at defenders and strike 35 yard bullets into the top corner like he can (and does regularly for the czechs). If he comes around, we should not miss those three out too much for the next couple of weeks.

And now we are in the middle of a string of games without either... if we come through without dropping too many points, I'm confident once those three are back that we will rack up another ridiculous string of wins. we have the quality in depth to deal with it, but many of these players don't have the necessary experience, or haven't played together enough to gel yet. Chelsea game will be a big test, if we pull off a draw without those three players, I'll be ecstatic.

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was saying that since we got him from Stuttgart. I knew
    he wasn't a goal scoring machine, that is NOT why we bought him.
    He is a great dribbler, creates space for others, very good 1-touch passer,
    unselfish, and a team player.

21. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    very true. hleb is the number one reason why arsenal plays the beautiful triangle football we do, not cesc.

ps...its my 1000th post!!!!!!!!! :)

22. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University
    this thread title should be the thread title to the summary of arsenal season so far.

23. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    I've said Hleb was the most talented player Arsenal have since he arrived. This is why. He knows how to find players, and knows how to dribble. I know, I am Captain Obvious.

That game vs Real Madrid at Highbury will always be in my memory. Probably one of the best 0-0 draws of all time. Hleb had a monster night that game.

24. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phishy you know I've been right there all along with you conducting the Hleb support train