[R] Spanish Coaches

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Hawkamaniac, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    I'm sick of hearing coaches bitch that their team was the better team and they deserved to win. Barcelona & Valencia are bitching about Juve & Inter advancing. You would think after a home and away series they could agree the team deserved to advance. I'm glad to see Italian teams putting a dent in the Spanish UEFA rating!!!!!!

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/m6064.html

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/m6063.html

Both coaches said the exact same thing!!!

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿You mean like that Capelo guy from AS Roma who cried like a little baby after he was kicked out of the Cup by a bunch of teenagers?

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I cant comment on Valencia vs. Inter ,but I saw the Juve vs. barca games and im still trying to figure out how they lost.

They spent the entire match camped in Juve's penalty area and lost to two breakaway goals.
    To say that juve rode their luck is an understatement.

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you saw what happened in the game 2 weeks ago after Inter scored...

yesterday: same thing, only the entire game.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    most coaches bitch after losing a match. I don't see anything wrong with that.... I have seen EPL, Serie A or whatever did the same. Too many examples to name.....

6. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What Benitez and Antic said however crossed the line. 9 times out of 10 the team that advances in a home and away deserved to advance. It isn't always pretty, granted but its nowhere near the catenaccio thats commonly stereotyped on any Italian side. Not every team plays the same, and if the style of play used by Italian sides bettered the style of the Spanish sides then the Spanish sides should learn SOMETHING from it. In the same vein, while Serie A sides were getting pelted by Spain and England and Germany the Italians had something to learn from it.

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Italian media: Catenaccio is back!

8. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    I don't think so. Juve & Inter both took the lead in their games so sitting back was the next logical thing to do since it would allow them to advance. Juve are easily the most defensive minded side in Italian football though so it will be interesting to see what happens vs Real Madrid.

9. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Catenaccio sucks

10. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Papers are out to make money, and a headline like that is bound to attract a lot of attention. The fact is that both sides took the initiative to score, thats saying something. After that, its only smart to try and close the game, why risk anything? For the fans entertainment? Thats irresponsible to say the least, what will the fans and owners remember more the fact that the team kept attacking or that they won.

Who sucketh more: The catenaccio? Or the team that loses to the catenaccio?

11. eop05

eop05 New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    NJ
    Ok, now, in order to play catenaccio style soccer, what must first be the initiative???

Oh yeah, the team must be winning or have the advantage. That means Inter was already winning, and had the advangtage.

Or, you're teams best midfielder, also one of the top defensive midfielders in the world needs to be given a bull*************** second yellow and put you down a man.

Also, Let's not forget the fist leg of the Juve game, where Juve could've been up 3-0 before barca had a real chance, where Juve outplayed them the whole game

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Or...you could just be so afraid of losing that you pack 'em in the back and hope to score on the counter ;)

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here I thought the 'first initiative' was to defend and wait for your chance to score whenever it might come.

I don't think people have much to bítch about Juve, they still played attacking in both games, only resorting to all out defending when they were reduced to 10 men in the 2nd leg...but Inter were a horror to behold for any football fan. In both games.

14. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    Let's see.... Inter wins the first leg at home and they don't give up an away goal and then they go to Spain and get an away goal in the first 5 minutes and win on away goal difference. When two even teams meet in a tie it usually comes down to away goals so you would have to be an idiot to think Inter had the wrong approach.

15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Reading something before commenting on it, it helps. Really. :)

Where in this little sentence...

"but Inter were a horror to behold for any football fan. In both games."

...do you get that I think they took the wrong approach? They played 'ugly' football, playing with 11 men in the penalty box and pretty much waiting the entire game for some defensive fault at Valencia (which their goal in Mestalla was) and then defend some more. It was a 'horror to behold for any football fan' because it's not football an average fan would like to see when they go and watch a game.

Apparently it was the right approach for them, trying to actually play the game would have most likely seen them be knocked out. And defending with all your men is not a sign of being 'even' with the other team, but of 'inferiority'. No lie.

I feel sorry for the Inter fans that actually pay to see their team play like this. :(

16. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    What in the hell are you talking about? Inter scored first in both games and scored quickly. They waited the entire game for a mistake??? Oscar obviously doesn't get it so I'll give it a rest for awhile.

17. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "Waiting the entire game for a defensive fault"...¿the 'entire game' does not include the beginning of the match in your world?

Just because they happened to score in the beginning of the game instead of in the middle or the end (which are also part of the 'entire game' by the by) does not mean this - "playing with 11 men in the penalty box and pretty much waiting the entire game for some defensive fault" - is not exactly what happened.

You learn something new every day it seems.
    First how the away goals work, and now this

You're welcome :)