[R] Seattle-Miami, 7/1/06

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by sounderfan, Jul 1, 2006.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Newspaper coverage...

and

2. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Sounders to face Miami, Brazilian star Romario

By MATTHEW GASCHK
    SPECIAL TO THE P-I

Those who long for the days when players like Pele would come to Seattle with the New York Cosmos to play the Sounders will have an opportunity for some nostalgia tonight.

The Sounders (4-7-4, 16 points), seventh in the United Soccer Leagues First Division, will face sixth-place Miami FC (4-3-5, 17 points) at 7:05 at Qwest Field in what would otherwise be a nondescript match between two middling teams.

But Miami FC features Romario, the most prolific goal-scorer in the history of soccer after Brazilian superstar Pele. With 968, Romario trails only Pele's 1,280 career goals. He hopes to become just the second player in FIFA's history to score 1,000 goals.

Romario led Brazil to the 1994 World Cup title, was named the tournament's best player, and earned FIFA's World Player of the Year in 1994. He insists he is not in Miami merely to reach 1,000.

"Absolutely not true at all because I don't think I'll reach that goal," Romario said by e-mail. "(I joined Miami FC) because I like Miami, I am a personal friend of Traffic Sports USA's president (Julio Mariz), and I like to play soccer."

Romario is second in the league with nine goals. Seattle's Cam Weaver has scored 10.

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Great pics sounderfan.

Thanks.