[R] Olympic Qualifying: Mex-USA (Crew version)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Foosinho, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    The US BASEBALL team did not make the Olympics either. If Our "American Pastime" doesn't make the cut - what can you infer for team sports from that...

Don't forget, if you get a Silver in the Olympics you're rated a LOSER...why didn't you win the gold? Oh so sorry you came all this way to ONLY get a silver. Way beyond ridiculous.

An acquaintance swam in the Olympics (84, I believe) and was reluctant to tell us because he didn't medal and believed everyone thought he was a loser! We corrected his viewpoint with the comments that we would have given one gonad each just to have made the finals or even have been on the team.

2. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    Testo picked up an assist tonight on "cheeky backheel" to DC *#*#*#*#*#*#in' United's Eskandarian.

The team lost in PKs. Chicago's Pause missed his shot, as did Brad Davis.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    This team was *#*#*#*#. They could barely beat Panama and they lose to Honduras and Mexico.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It was junior varsity. No big deal. We'll be fine come world cup qualifiers.

5. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    My problem with this logic is I don't see him getting a lot of "professional" training with Andrulius. I fear Marshall and Wingert will be what we saw in the Olympics for the forseeable future, unless your front office finally fires Andrulius. I think Marshall can be good in time, but Wingert was absolute rubbish.

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough, but the new strategy apparently is to sidestep Coach Stupid completely.

From the beginning, they've been saying all along that they were bringing in these old guys to teach the young kids how to play.

For example, just yesterday, talking about Marshall and Wingert not making it to the Olympics, Andrulis said:

And there you have it. They've more or less conceded that Andrulis can't do the job so they're bringing in veteran players to do it for him.

The only thing he was even remotely qualified to do was caoch GKs, and he stunk at that so badly that they brought in a new GK coach.

But I'm not complaining. Maybe this way Coach Idiot won't get the chance to screw up another batch of talent. Just stand there stroking his beard and looking official while actually qualified people, who have actually PLAYED THE GAME, can do his job for him.

What a deal.

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    But we've just hired a new highly rated coach.Maybe Marshall will come good because of him.

8. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad Marshall and Devin Barclay are Project-40 so I would imagine they will follow the same round Buddle did; which was (I think) send a year there then be brought in to make a difference with the Crew. They will absorb nuggets of advise from the veterans when training with the Crew.

As for Wingert, I'll bet he will end up watching Denton from sideline/home and end up like a Kevin Adams or a Matt Chulis, or Chris Leitch. As Foosball said: your starting back line will be Hejduk, Clark, Frasier, Denton. Kids like Wingert will only get one or two chances to impress, if that.

The current system wants to win now, not roll the dice and build a potential winner in the future.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm just hoping Akwari isn't in that "Leitch hole" right now. If given a chance he should be able to win a starting spot next to either Fraser or Clark.

As for Wingert, this was one bad performance with everyone else around him having bad performances out of 100s of great performances in his career. Before the Mexico game, Wingert was even signled out by Mooch as one of the solid players on the squad. One bad performance does not make a career. No doubt in mind he can come in and at the very least challenge Denton for the LB role.