[R] AC Milan vs. Club America (7/22 in Atlanta)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Heist, Jul 22, 2009.

1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Some people have pointed out that no one cares less about friendlies than the Italians. Italian soccer fans were barely following the CC.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    sounds good to me. the less people that saw this the better.

Rumor has it Toni might go to Milan. Judging from what I saw, they could definitely use the target striker.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My mother in-law is Italian and her family know every little thing their clubs (both big and small) and NT are doing and when and with whom...I would say that from what I have seen, they care, and a lot. Not showing it is another matter.

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    How about the players in friendlies?

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What do you mean?

6. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Are you kidding me? It's a friendly. Ambrosini and Flamini are ahead of Strasser. Strasser is one for the future.

Pato's still on vacation. Chances are Gooch would not have played had Milan not been playing in the US.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I've heard it said of the Italians more than anybody else, and it includes the players and managers, that they don't care about the results of friendlies.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the family members from my mother-in-law's side are fans, not players so I cannot speak for them. my comment was based on this;

I don't believe that to be true from my observation and discussions with Italians. And I don't mean Americans or Canadians - I mean off the boat Italians.

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It's all anecdotal, but people were saying people in Italy were paying more attention to a youth team playing at the same time.

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was the U21 European Championship...the other participants were Germany winners, England, Spain, Sweden (hosts). These tourneys are considered much more important than a competition by invitation like the Confed Cup.

Of course they would be more interested in this as the Italian NT is getting old rather quickly and here is a look into the future.

That does not mean fans do not care about friendlies or competitons other than the WC or EC or their league and CL.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It is a contrast though, for us the CC was huge.

But my main point was about the Italian teams possibly caring less about friendlies than other teams.

12. Well, on the after game interview Milan's coach excused the result stating that they were still in pre-season form while Club America was in the middle of their championship (MLS club? :D )

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am assuming the "us" means The U.S. and yeah, it was was a great tourney for you guys. Well done.

As far as friendlies...it is not so much about "caring less" for them as players or managers, but about not getting hurt when there is nothing on the line if you are a top NT or club. That is the number 1 priority. It doesn't matter if the club is Italian, English or the NT is Brazilian or German.

That does not mean not caring, but there is not that drive that a lower level team has to go out and show everyone else that they can play with the top teams...

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But that is not an excuse as much as it is a reason. Their season is about to start and this is the moment where managers start to fine tune their players, positions and tactics. That is why they are playing.

The last thing they want to do is to have a Essien, or Ronaldinho or a Kaka or a type Ribery injured while playing the RedBulls a few weeks before the season starts.

15. Well, the thing is that CA America is also in pre-season ;)

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...gotcha!!

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah, they looked very sharp in front of 65,000 america supporters in the US just a week before their season starts with an Ax to grind against bigger and better Euro clubs.

At any rate. Gooch started great. Now expectations are off. He can just play without worrying they think he is any good.

18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Milan have been fielding reserve players in the second half during their past few friendlies and basically giving everyone available decent time on the field. Gooch would have played regardless.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're kidding? Right? Wait til Serie A and the CL begin...this was a friendly in the US against a team from Mexico.

I am sure that even tomorrow's match v Chelsea will be meaningless unless he totally tanks it or outshines everyone on the pitch.

I'll be there!!

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    only half joking. if you had to get beat, right now is the best time. Also, his backline teammates wont think he is a threat so will play nicely with him.

It might just be me, but I think most top level Italian soccer players (anyone in Serie A) are selfish, me first guys to the core. More so than other leagues.

Gooch will do much better against Chelsea as they play pretty straight up Euro football. He can muscle Drogba or Anelka all day. Just hope he doesnt get turned.

21. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minute long reel of Onyewu highlights from the match. The last play was pretty nice. Clean tackle and then drew a foul from the player...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA_IlYjXMH0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Onyewu Vs. Club America - 23/7/2009[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  22. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered that too... he was in the box but not really marking anyone.

23. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that really was a nice tackle/dribble/get fouled sequence there. Good on him.

24. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bad mistake, no doubt. But it was his first PRESEASON game, after only training for a couple of days . Give him time to get acquainted with his teammates and the club, my friend.

25. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bad mistake by him AND the RB. The RB was also keep the striker on side. OTOH, that is almost certainly a communication problem. In another month or so I suspect that sort of thing shouldn't be a big problem.

And give credit where it's due. That was a fantastic cross.