News: [R] 2010-11 English Football Thread (Prem, Champ, L1, L2) :: Crew Forums

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I agree with this. I understand part of their situation with the owners lend to every top player in the world being every top player is linked to them but they are spending a ton of money each year. They are going to continue to buy players with high price tags.

I looked up Man. City's dealings since the new ownership took over in '08. All amounts are in pounds

08' - Purchased - 127,700,00
    08- Sold- 9,800.00
    08' Difference- -117,900,000

09' Purchased- 125,000,000
    09' Sold- 26,000,000
    09 Difference- 99,000,000

10 Purchased - 154,750,000
    10 Sold- 28,250,000
    10 Difference -126,500,000

I went back further when looking at Chelski

For time purposes here is the difference between bought and sold.
    03- -153,350,000
    04- -47,150,000
    05- -91,100,000
    06- +3,800,000
    07- -7,500,000
    08- +10,800,000
    09- -17,500,000
    10- -87,300,000

Looking at the transfer amounts would suggest City is actually buying at the same rate as Chelsea. Chelsea from 06-08 actually made money off of selling players.

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answer: They're both shite. :D

3. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Quoted because you ended up being 100% correct.

4. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Well, I was quite clear in stating that Man City are spending bucketfulls of cash in order to achieve success. The difference between them and Chelsea is that their owner is somewhat rational and has some modicum of patience. The sacking of Ancelotti indicates, at least to me, that Abramovich is simply insane.
    What's wrong with Manchester City?

No, seriously. They're a club with tremendous support, a fanbase that endured them being relegated twice in the space of f few years yet continued to turn up by the tens of thousands for every match. If I'm not mistaken, attendance actually went up after one relegation. Why shouldn't they get their turn? If you want to start complaining about how rich clubs are ruining the sport, you should have started about 20 years ago, around the time Sky invented football.

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stopped clocks. Twice a day. Yada yada... :)

6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how Crew fans are desperate to buy a big name talent yet clubs like Chelsea that do buy big named talent are the raked over the coals.

You just wish Fulham would spend a little cash.:D

7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, for better or worse, I've always preferred the underdog.

8. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    As long as the underdog has little or no chance of ever achieving success. Isn't that hairshirt a tad uncomfortable while standing in the terraces? ;)

9. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On occasion, but it just makes those times that your team does the unexpected feel special. See also:

Crew: 2008 Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup

Fulham: 2009/10 Europa League finalists

I wonder how many ManU fans will be "disappointed" if they don't top Barca and "only" win the league this season...

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a certain amount of disappointment when your team hits the field and loses, especially in a cup game. I wouldn't expect Man U fans to be celebrating a loss.

I expect Chelsea to bring in some new blood and get rid of the chaff from this season. Anyone want Anelka?:p

11. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U is no different from Chelsea or Man City. Nani, Hernandez, Van der Sar, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Anderson something tells me that those names didnt go through the Man U academy.

12. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malouda MUST go. If only one player can be sold, he would be my choice with no hesitation.

This team is lacking wingers. The only semblance of one in the squad is Zhirkov. Maybe that was just Carlo's style, but I doubt it.

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well actually Man U has roughly spend 190,000,000 pounds more than they have sold since 1993. During that same Chelsea and Man City have a deficit of about 490,000,000 pounds.

300 million is a significant amount of investment into the squad.

14. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one's going to argue that Chelsea hasn't spent a lot. Until the Torres buy, however, they really hadn't spent any more extravagantly than other major clubs in a few seasons.

15. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Man U isnt as bad as Chelsea or Man City in terms of spending but they are not the english Ajax or Porto. They buy championships they are just wiser with their investments.

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100% with you here. I just wanted to show the difference in these teams in terms of spending. Chelsea and Man City have spent roughly the same amount since 93 which is strange to think.

Little side note since 93 Arsenal have only spent $42,000,000 more than they have sold.

17. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Is that it? Only $42 million? Is that in GBP or USD ($84 million)? Well, for God's sake, no wonder their barely able to keep up....

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry those are pounds. All the figures I have put out today are pounds.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The difference between Manu and Arsenal, and Man City and Chelsea, is that they are working within their means.

Arsenal have tightened the purse strings for whatever reason and have basically lucked out with a manager that has an eye for talent at a young age and can bring them through. Man U are a global brand that make shit loads of cash from the Middle East and Asian markets. Two tours of North America in two years seems that they are focusing on this market too now. Also, Fergie is buying wiser now, picking up a young Mexican talent before his stock rises, same with the other young non-english players.

Chelsea and Man City are putting in private investment to buy players. They are going marketing traction for being big, but can not compare with the history and reach of the Manchester United brand.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United lost 79 million pounds in 09-10
    Chelsea lost 78 million pounds in 09-10

United- "United's gross debt has fallen to £477.7m, although this is thought to be a direct result of a conversion to sterling of money owed in dollars, which is weak against the pound."

Chelsea- "According to the latest accounts of Chelsea Limited, the company which owns the football club, Chelsea owed £736m to all its creditors. United's (Manchester) accounts, also recently filed at Companies House, showed total creditors at £764m. Those unprecedented figures will fuel concern that at this time of English football's greatest club triumph its clubs are carrying too much debt."

Also 578 million of Chelsea's debt comes from Abramovich so compared to United's debt being from outside lenders. Which basically means United pay roughly 80 mill in interest every season while Chelsea can use that money on players since Abramovich is not charging himself interest.

The Financial Fair Play rules will unlikely exclude either team from Europe. Both teams are carrying huge debt.

21. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I do not understand these headlines about "the race to sign Friedel."

What?

22. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

While I have no dog in the fight, if I were a Spurs fan, the thought of Brad Friedel backing up that train wreck of a keeper they have would seem laughable. He'd be a backup for about all of the first 5 minutes of preseason drills.

25. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Liverpool pays him a ton of money, sure, why not?