Questions

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Justin Z, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a player, and I had my first real game last weekend, it's in a co-rec league run by AYSO, called Soccer for Adults.

Anyway, for some reason there is a rule in this league that any foul outside the box is an indirect kick. The referee also said pregame that any foul inside the area is a PK.

So I wondered, for those of you who have reffed under a system like this before . . .

#1 Why always indirect free kicks outside the box? Is it to protect defensive players in the case of a foul just outside the box? In other words, as a defender, you don't have to form a wall and get hit in the face with a hard shot on goal?

#2 Are all fouls inside the PA really PKs? What about PIADM or playing the ball off your foot to the keeper?

I thought about these questions after the match and so wanted to ask some of the pros if they had any input. Thanks a lot!

Justin

P.S. There were some very young AR's in our game, and they kept popping the flag for offside even when the ball wasn't being played by the passively offside player. I was actually trying to help while keeping by shouting "he's not playing it" or whatever. On one such instance, the AR realized it and put the flag back down as a result. Generally, is help like that appreciated by referees in what are really non-competitive matches, or should I just keep my mouth shut? :D

2. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    1. This rule makes no sense, it makes scoring from a foul that much tougher.

2. This rule also makes no sense, why should there be a PK for passbacks, impeding, or other IDK fouls?

In my opinion, both rule changes from FIFA laws have no possible policy reason except simplification (maybe everyone in the league is really stupid?) :)

3. spectre013

spectre013 Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Colorado
    hmmm

#1,#2 just cant think of any reason why they would do this. I know a lot of adult leagues have special rules to prevent injuries cause most of the players do have to go to work the next day so.

Some times you get new AR's that have itchy trigger fingers and pop flags be for the ball gets through. As for talking depends on how the AR takes it, he may talk to the center and then a talk with you.

Might just ask the people who run the league about their rules on the DFK and IFK.

4. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    Are you playing on a regulation size field (at least 50 yards x 100 yards) and 11 vs. 11?

There are a number of adult leagues in Southern California that play on a small field 30 x 50 and small sided 6 x 6 that use an all IFK rule for fouls outside the penalty area. It's a version of FUTSAL. On such a field, a goal could be scored from almost any foul. Most leagues also use kick ins rather than throw ins for the same reason.

In general, AYSO follows the laws of the game. Modifications usually are focussed on its "everyone plays" philosophy. AYSO for adults is just getting started here, so I haven't seen any specialized rules for such play. At U19, the only reak difference between AYSO and FIFA concerns substitutes.

As to your second question, as new ARs can experience, they learn to wait for active participation in offside. The AYSO training for referees strictly follows FIFA/USSF teahing on offside.

5. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Seems like they may even be a bit roomier than that.

Oh I realize that. I just wanted to know if my spontaneous help was at all appreciated or rather, probably frowned upon.

6. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    Unfortunately, the less experienced the referee (those who may need to most help) are more likely NOT to react well to comments from players. They either get defensive and treat it as dissent. Or, they focus so much on the last call, that they get the next one wrong too.

Some players can use humor to get their point across; most are better served saying nothing but thanks at the end.