Question for Mods, Re: Trolls

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Tigerpunk, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Mods,

I'm here just to wonder why the obvious trolls (i.e., leg_breaker, CL2004, M, Prawn Sandwich, etc.) who spend a lot of time posting on USA forums even though they are not a supporter of the US or MLS, have no respect for the US or MLS, and are mostly (entirely) there to denigrate and troll still have posting rights. Do they have to violate a specific rule (i.e., call someone with Tourette's Syndrome a "lunatic", though chewmylegoff later backed off that without apologizing)?

They're unfortunately ruining the usefulness and entertainment of the USA boards. While I agree there should be some balance to what often is overexhuberance and overestimation of the US team and US players, trolls do not provide a useful counterweight. I know I'm a guest on these boards myself, but shouldn't something be done?

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
  3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Ooh, online drama!

[​IMG]

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the mod of this forum and one among the other USA forums, let me say that I won't seek punishment for any one of them without any just cause to do so. Ocassionally, some of them provide a good counterpoint to the arguments at hand without trolling.

On the other hand, let those posters you mention and some of the others -- and even some of those pro-USA posters, too -- shoot themselves in the foot, because you know I'll be watching. ;)

5. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best way to deal with a troll is to;
    1) Ignore tham completely. They often say ridiculous stuff to get a raise out of you. If they are successful, they will keep doing it. If they get what they desire, they will move on through sheer boredom.
    2) Slide step their insults: You should take the high road and pretend that they didn't insult you. I suggest you nicely correct them, and deal with their argument with intelligent counter points.

Sometimes these people are what I call "Shock Posters." They like to say provacative things to see how people react. Its important not to acknowledge it. Its kinda like dealing with "flashers." They tell you to pretend like he/ she didn't do anything special. This way they don't get the "kick" they were seeking and the thought to do it will lose its "luster."

Pike

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better advice. :cool:

Don't feed the trolls, people. Takes a bit of courage, but there's lots of reward in it...

7. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    you seem to define anyone not american who disagrees with your opinion as a troll.

disagreeing with you is not trolling, it is called discussion.

i did not "back off without apologising" i merely clarified that the use of the term lunatic was referring to howard's haphazard goalkeeping - there was no need for me to apologise for anything. if anything you should apologise for deliberately misinterpreting my post and then trying to get me banned for it.

if you don't like being disagreed with don't use open public message boards. email your mates instead.

8. DrGuinness

DrGuinness Home & Abroad

Apr 8, 2005
    Greeley, CO
    Did you fall out of the minivan? From your example (and really...just one post that you deemed "trollish"?) I haven't seen anything horrid...bad taste sure but 98% of Big Soccer posters are guilty of THAT.