QF July 6 France v. Uruguay [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Alot of comments in Google (whom are France supporters) but even dislike Mbappe playacting.

Seriously, there was no touch, and he just roll on the grass himself, one roll, and flip another roll himself.
    Even if there was a slightest touch on his chest, that doesn't mean he throw himself on the ground, and then 'continue' make another roll to the grass while there was no one near him.

I'm waiting for the replay so I can watch it again. Such a disgrace.

And I don't see anything wrong with you cry, at least it real emotion. Better than that Mbappe playacting. I hope he learn from this first time try playacting of his, don't do it a second time, it just make him looks bad and people will lost respect for him (regardless how good of a player he is).

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They won both times by beating the best teams in the world (Argentina and Brazil respectively).

3. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    I didn't say that. don't blame me.

kennytt repped this.
  4. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Mbappe becomes a humble world class player instead of an arrogant diving world class player

Buffonfan repped this.
  5. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

6. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMG_0069.JPG

kennytt repped this.
  7. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    Again, I am specifically talking about underhanded tactics that results from instructions from the coach and rehearsing. As a defender I always avoid useful fouls, or rough action purposely aimed at hurting opponents when possible ( even when instructed to do so ). I am not saying that Uruguayan players are better or worse than french on a individual level. But I am convinced you could notice a rather pernicious behavior especially during the first 30 minutes of the game that was reminiscent of what Italy was able to do ( and get away with ) at the height of the catenaccio :sick:.

It seems that the rather "physical" response and at time overplaying by the french was enough to calm down the Uruguayan but it could have degenerate. I would have prefer the Uruguayan and french not to have to do this or to put emphasis on fouls in order to catch the referee attention.

I really hope this will not be the referee for the final. We need someone strong and clear from the get go. If not, teams will (over)compensate or more readily commit fouls to the detriment of the game quality. I would rather have a referee that sanction too many fouls rather than one who would disregard ill intended actions because the victim was lucky or strong enough to avoid falling or being injured.
    A couple of early yellow cards for the most aggressive Uruguayan actions would have avoided such a high number of fouls overall.
    In retrospect, it seems that somehow the Uruguayans may have underestimate their own chance and potential. They played OK but not to the best of their ability :unsure: ( and so did France but it is now an habit for them :whistling: ).

It was an OK game and a logical result but it could have been more open and downright better with a more strict referee and a little more confidence from both team ( especially Uruguay) .

It is not really surprising since in the final stages it is often more about not making any mistakes and taking any risks rather than sizing the game and the win. Sill, I hope to see a couple of crazy or very close games before the final.
    Lets watch Brazil-Belgium and hope for the best.

kennytt repped this.
  8. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Except they won’t

9. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Best game for France in the Deschamps era. Totally controlled to the very last minute. We granted Uruguay nothing except Lloris' save. They missed Cavani to an interstellar point.

GO BELGIUM ! Playing against them would be such a joy !

10. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    I hope football is the winner.

kennytt repped this.
  11. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I expressed many times that I don’t understand it either but perhaps Europeans will never fully grasp why people from other continents often have a continental solidarity. Perhaps we simply were running the world (and football, at least from an organisational point of view) for too long to get why the rest of the world doesn’t want to see the WC turning into the European Championships.

NewLaw83 and kennytt repped this.
  12. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you scared of Brazil? Want to avoid them?

13. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I get that bit. I don't really want all four semi finalists to be European. However, if there was ever a final without a European team I'd still want to watch it.

14. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    So would I. Football's football.

15. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Uruhuayan fans not bitter at all
    Amazing

16. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thank God for Telemundo

Thank God

17. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even in 1950 there were only 13 entrants. It isn't the same thing as winning today.

NewLaw83 and kennytt repped this.
  18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The "problem" is that outside of Brazil and to a lesser extent Argentina (given its record since 1990), are there any other teams outside UEFA who can realistically challenge the best European sides for the title?

For a long time people thought Africa would have a breakthrough and yet in 2018 with so many African players in the Premiership, for example, not a single African team made it to the round of 16.

South Korea had an odd (and to many observers, unfair) run to the 2002 semifinals. It's done little since and Japan nearly upset Belgium days ago.

Australia? Nope.

Other teams from South America who have been tough in the past - Chile and Paraguay - didn't even make it to 2018. Colombia crashed out in the round of 16 as did Argentina.

So, however much it'd be nice to see variety, given today's soccer circumstances, will the World Cup ever be anything other than a European Championship plus Brazil and Argentina? (And as in 2010, Uruguay)

19. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #318 Buffonfan, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    I'm sorry Sir Steve Page, I didn't mean it like that, it just a bummer to me that my all time favorite team Italy (which is a European team btw) not even make it to this World Cup. And I'm a die hard fan of Buffon and Italy team.
    And now the South America side are basically out, except Brazil. I guess to me it just suck and it make me lost the interest of glue my eyes to the TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

oh, and you guys probably see this already, as this has been retweet so many times since yesterday.

But look, I know this is just a coincident. But man, from reading this, I'm afraid Brazil will lost in the next match. Nuuuuuuuuuu!! I hope this won't come true.

What do you think of this, this is just a coincident right? Hic. If it must be 13 letters like this, France won, then that mean Belgium win next then.

[​IMG]

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I have just learned that Muslera's maternal grandmother passed away this past Monday and that one of his maternal uncles died this past Wednesday from an auto accident. Not that this serves as an excuse, but arguably Muslera was not in his best mental state.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the match... here's Varane's goal...

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn. That sucks.

23. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    #322 guri, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Good game France. Well done.
    I thought we'd do much better but... mamá said there would be days like this.
    We lost the midfield battle. Vecino and Bentancur were nowhere to be found when it came to creation. Not even Suarez. There was no spark anywhere. But France probably had something to do with that. Not sure.
    I can't even blame Tabarez this time(as I usually do:)). He had a great tournament. The only mistake he made I think was leaving Valverde home. He could've been that spark, maybe, but he'll get his chance.
    And I don't think Tabarez is going anywhere so we'll be back. We've got plenty of players coming up. We'll be ok.

Oh I forgot just to point out the difference between Mbappe's behavior and Griezman not celebrating his goal(either out of respect for his Atletico teammates or because of Muslera's error). You learn a lot about people by the way they win.
    Chapeau Mr.Griezman, you can come and play for Peñarol any time you wish

soccernutter, Pipiolo and kennytt repped this.
  24. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Any player can cry as much as he wants during a game, as long as he does his work and doesn't commit mistakes. Giménez did his part.

soccernutter and BlueDamian repped this.
  25. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    :x3::x3::x3:. So we are in semi. Congrats to all other French fans and hard luck to our doubters.

26. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    In the seventies/Eigthies/Nineties the WC certainly was not much more than Europe plus Brazil/Argentina. But recent years have really seen other Conmebol nations step up in quality at the expense of Europe. This was especially evident in 2016 when watching the Euros in France, a tournament of quite frankly embarrassing quality, and comparing it with the Copa that was held at around the same time where the matches were of much higher quality. So I think Conmebol fans had every reason to feel optimistic about Russia 18 in the hope that South America could have a more dominant showing