Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't believe that it has suddenly become acceptable to have the WC in Qatar. I thought this was what started all the cleansing of FIFA and just getting rid of the Swiss git is hardly sufficient. I too have been to all WCs since 1982 except 1990 and will not have any intention of even watching the disgrace that is Qatar. The fact it was so fraudulently obtained leaves a dreadful taste in the mouth.

goussoccer, athletics68 and Hayaka repped this.
  2. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The bribery is regrettable, but seems de riguer for FIFA matters, so I can't get too worked up about that. The appalling conditions of the workers constructing the sites is a different issue however. It is too bad, because I've never been to that part of the world, and probably would have gone to the WC, but certainly won't attend in 2022, given the Qataris depraved treatment of their foreign workers.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    @kalani6 - we will refrain from making sweeping generalizations on here.

4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    athletics68 repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you reduce the stadiums you're building by 1/3rd, don't develop the technologies you swore would be in place to support your bid, etc... of course you're going to see a corresponding cost savings. The Qatar bid ended up being a steaming pile of BS that FIFA bought hook, line and bribe.

6. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    The bid evaluation report for Qatar 2022 marked stadium construction as a "medium risk", and warned that
    A legal risk in the financing, construction and management of [the 12 proposed] stadiums exists as nine stadiums are owned by the Qatar Olympic Committee, while nine stadiums would be newly built and a further three stadiums would undergo major upgrading through the addition of modular seating. FIFA's leverage to react to deviations from the presented concepts would be minimal.

Also, presumably this promise is impacted, one way or another:
    construction of 22 modular stadiums for countries in need (after the FIFA World Cup)

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see a list of the Qatar bid selling points redlined for what ended up being BS.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think I found a list that was shown to FIFA in a back room somewhere in Switzerland:
    [​IMG]

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #2459 Rickdog, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Chose, the ones you prefer :

[​IMG]

Together with a gold watch, and a necklace of fine qatari pearls for wives or lovers, as souvenir, :sneaky::p

athletics68, PabloSanDiego and sitruc repped this.
  10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As well documented on this and other threads, the Qatar World Cup has plenty of issues. That said, I for one will cherish the close proximity of matches when flying into Doha. Especially now that entire continents are bidding. Never before (and never again) will all matches be hosted in one single metropolitan area. That will be Qatar's legacy.

AlbertCamus and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a cool thing i will admit. When the Asian Cup was here, we could go to 2 games a day right after each other... was a fight through traffic ut hopefully the metro will fix that

12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I've said before that had the Qatar bid been above board, I'd have supported it. The season change is interesting, the Euro league players won't be their usual all worn out, they'll be in mid-season form. No travel for teams, no altitude or weather variations. It'll be sterile, I would not want every WC to be like this, but as a one off it will be interesting. And, had it been above board and not exploited workers, would be a cool fan experience. Choose a week, go to a game every day. No travel, etc...

13. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don't see that as a positive at all. Traveling to the various venues, seeing the diverse parts of the host country has always been (for me) one of the delights of attending a World Cup. The 2022 WC will have very little of that.

The matches better be good, because by most accounts the rest of the Qatar experience is going to be an unpleasant bore.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Doha is very well connected thanks to Qatar Airways. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Manama are nearby while Jordan, Iran and even India aren't too far away. Those who want to see historical Petra or Isfahan for example can do so rather easily.

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree, but as a one-off the differences will be fun. And is a future of giant 48 teams World Cup held over entire continents, we may miss small contained WC's.

16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Enjoyed the article, I haven't paying close attention, but I didn't realize it was as many as 8 stadiums minimum. Wonder why? It's not a part of the world that gets torrential rain, I'd think they could play two days in a row in the same stadium. I also wonder how useless the 80,000 seat stadium will be in the future. I'd like to see the CWC go to more vibrant fan culture cities (like Mexico City, or Miami, FL) but I'm glad these guys in Qatar will get one so they can use this stadium again. Is the worker abuse situation improving? I've not seen news about that recently.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    #2471 goussoccer, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Here's a link to the FIFA evaluation of the Qatar bid.
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/33/74/56/b9qate.pdf

Two biggies here:
    1. Climate control at stadiums and for fans --- fixed by moving the season it was held in.
    2. Number of stadiums
    Highest risk was Team Facilities, which I haven't seen any press on.

Of course things like human rights were not included in the evaluation.

There was a mention of the legal underpinnings being pretty strict. Also Sharia would:" impose certain restrictions on the sale, advertising and distribution of certain goods and services."

19. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is interesting that people have managed to find anything positive about Qatar getting the World Cup but equally frustrating when people accept it is the most fraudulently awarded one but that does not really matter as there are always a lot of backhanders involved. I thought the getting rid of Fatter and all his mates was to draw a line under this sort of appalling situation but clearly not. This was to be my 10th WC and pretty fed up I have to avoid it at all costs.

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That report lost all credibility, the moment the chairman in charge of leading the comitee that made it, got sanctioned by FIFA, over corruption charges, related to it.

So, no need to point it out, as being a credible source for anything.

Anyhow, when the FIFA exco took their votes to award the wining bid, no one read any of the evaluation reports.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :confused: Yeah, but those countries aren't hosting the World Cup. So then all you're doing is taking a vacation at the same time as the World Cup.
    During a WC, there is a very different vibe in the WC host country(ies) compared to the vibe outside the host country(ies). It's that 'vibe' that is appealing to fans. Once you leave the WC host nation(s) it ceases to become a football vacation. Being in India during Qatar 2022 is no different than me being in New York and sneaking out of work for a "dentist appointment" so I can watch a big match.

Hayaka repped this.
  22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, though, this may play out differently. Qatar is so small that some of the surrounding region may take on that celebratory air you're referencing specifically because of the potential tourism and a sense of support for the region. The truth is we don't know for sure because so much about bringing this event to the Arab nations, and to such a small one at that, will be a first time experience.

Conversely, if you were to show up at a World Cup in the US there are plenty of places you could visit between matches that would barely register any correlating excitement whatsoever because the country is so big. Russia will prove a good sample of this phenomena next year if travelers spend any notable amounts of time outside of the hosting cities.

Nico Limmat and unclesox repped this.