Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't go to scorching hot deserts with smaller populations than any of their capital cities where they'd have to purposely disrupt their domestic leagues by playing in winter and in a place with an abysmal human rights records that makes most decent people blanch... So no they wouldn't just follow the money blindly like Uncle Sepp and his paid off cronies.

2. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having the World Cup in England would make FAR more money than anything Qatar could offer. FIFA's problem with it is that it's legitimate money, and Blatter only respects money dripping in oil and blood.

Rostam and athletics68 repped this.
  3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Are you sure?
    I can think of many nations that actually would. Just ask Sweden, Norway for one where they go in winter.

Just ask yourself why England met Brazil in Doha in winter yeah.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yeah, it would make money like football in England already does, but then ask why game 39? Why they want to go to Asia? Make more and more money. So of course at some point a new world body excluding such nations would actually enter their region.

Let's remember aswell though, that England lost out to Russia, not Qatar. And to say that Blatter only respects money dripping in oil and blood is deeply absurd really. But then, I guess no one remembers football before 1994 with the new American breed suddenly at the fore of what MUST be RIGHT and WRONG.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    #130 grandinquisitor28, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    It's fairly straight forward, business contracts in exchange for world cup bid votes. While it may not have been that plain, it definitely appears as if the vast bulk of the votes were purchased along similar lines, basically business transactions, which is why it's a ridiculous and absurd farce. On its face, if the bidding were honest, and based upon technical reports on the quality of the bids, there was zero chance that Qatar would get it. Now get money, bribes, and business arrangements in play, and suddenly bid is far more attractive.

And before Drury or anyone smacks out at me or others for speaking so plainly about it, I'm fully aware that that is how Atlanta of all places, and the monocultural, no booze, borefest that is SLC got their respective olympic bids, equally disgusting in both instances although SLC and Atlanta both had things going for them that Qatar doesn't, the actual ability to host the games properly- as in SLC has freaking amazing snow, and some of the best skiing in the world, while Atlanta, has a sophisticated sports city (professional Baseball, Basketball, and Football teams, and a hockey team (since moved) that was about to land there), and is probably the business capital of the new south.

I didn't and don't support how those American cities got their bids, it was shady business with money, hookers, and all sorts of vile activities locking in the various deals, but even w/the corruption, as said earlier, at least you could host the events "as is", and during the season's required.

Not so with Qatar.

Just depressing.

I'm very curious to see what happens. Just because of the sheer length of the time frame involved, and the fact that human beings have short attention spans, i expect Qatar to gut it out, and wait for other news events to overtake it (global warming ramfications etc), so that people forget, and then within a few years, it will be too late to effectively remove it without massive financial ramifications.

So on the one hand I expect Qatar to host because of our sort of collective inertia, while on the other hand, I expect the power of the sports leagues to be so immense by then, that another world tournament entirely will overtake it, or something else will replace it.

I find it hard to believe that the European Leagues will suspend activities for the weeks necessary for that farce of a cup to happen. That's a huge financial hit, and for what? In addition to that it will require full rewrites of television contracts, if not rebids. The US contract alone is massive, and considering that instead of only clashing with baseball and the end of the NBA Finals, this would clash with the NBA, NHL, College Football, College Hoops, and the juggernaut that is the NFL, the restructuring of the TV deal would just boggle the mind. There's not a chance that the network would have paid even half that, for a winter tournament.

Definitely interesting to imagine how this may play out given time.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Hmmm, really can't believe you called the World Cup a farce of a cup....hey, never mind.

Qatar, does have a lot going for it. A centre for excellence, ASPIRE, that Africans, Asians want to be picked up for.

Football wise, Doha is booming with teams, and has a continental winner in Al Sadd in 2011, low and behold, competitive football, lets wait for an American city to have a Concacaf winner shall we. Doha, a strong candidate for business city in the Middle East, might aswell mention it since you mention Atlanta.

But lets not forget, no one has ever brought anything to the table about bribes....so don't blame Qatar... you admit SLC did it, lets not tar everyone shall we.

Sometimes though, you need to look out of the box. Qatar might not have been the best bid but who did they compete with???? Korea, Japan, USA, all had it in recent memory, what could they do to improve so drastically in such a short space of time to really say lets go back there. Surely to go back there, your admitting that these world cups were failures to begin with to go back so soon to put it right??

So, you had Australia competing with Qatar... whats the difference between the two? Australia, too much of an English/American feel. Qatar is whole new ground. So you get a Exec Member vote for new ground, new challenges because they want their name to be remembered, they want to be the ones taking the game there.

You got to remember that Qatar consistently got votes in the four rounds of bidding. If they bribed why di they go from 11 votes to 10 from rounds 1 and 2 and then back to 11 in round 3? Why did they beat USA hands down in a two horse race getting even more votes? Possibly for none footballing reasons I guess? US dictates and dictates to nations they are competing with and to lose to one suddenly must be a foul.

And, well finally, you expect the world leagues to be so immense by 2022 to have a new competition? Wake up pal. It's 2014 now. 8 years to sought this immense new world out, and we can't even decide on summer/winter in less than 2 years!!!!!

You think nations like England, Germany, Brazil, pull out because it's winter......no they won't. They play it right, and they get something from this. England blocked at Game 39.....now leverage. Think...just thinking and twisting it to benefit themselves will be what there after....... if they wanted out, they would surely of said so now. For all the nations not wanting Winter World Cup, then come forward now and withdraw from qualification is what I ask... but a bet they won't. The absurdity of some nations aswell to think its a given that they will make the finals come 2022 is beyond belief aswell. Cocky. Cock sure that they are in already. You no what,,, they aren't. They might not even make it.

7. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Yep, competitive football. Qatar. Competitive football? :ROFLMAO:

Wow. What an amazingly balanced view there. Australia is too much of an 'English/American' feel?Care to elaborate more? Or is it just because they speak English there? Australia is a new ground as well, and what's even better, they already have the facilities as well.

Yes, Doha is a booming city, but the nation is dogged by human rights issues and the lasting legacy in Qatar is highly questionable.

That Cherokee repped this.
  8. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, true. There's no blood and oil on Russia's hands.

And you're right, things were much better before the stupid Yanks showed up crying about things like human rights and slavery. I miss the days when Nazi Germany could host the Olympics and everyone would hold hands and smile.

And for gawd's sake we wouldn't want a World Cup to be accessible to the masses. Hooligans may show up. Better to have it in a country that most people can't afford to get to, and if they do they can't afford the $500 a night hotel rooms. Personally, I think 2026 should be held exclusively on Easter Island.

That Cherokee, Rostam, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  9. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I guess Gazprom, Lukoil, or Transneft means nothing to @druryfire.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    from the previous thread

I was wondering when someone was going to open a new Qatar 22 thread. I have a suggestion though….why not two threads.

Thread one - Qatar 22 is going to be the bestest World Cup EVER! For Reals!
    This thread would be reserved for druryfire all the Qatar 22 supporters to talk to himself converse with each other about what a great World Cup this will be, how awesome Qatar is, how awesome the stadiums are going to be etc etc etc.

Thread Two - Qatar 22 - FIFA's painted themselves in a corner….how are they getting out of it?
    In this thread, druryfire Qatar 22 cheerleaders wouldn't be welcome, as he/she they add absolutely nothing to the conversation. This thread would be reserved for discussing the merits, drawbacks, timing etc of all potential scenarios people can think of for FIFA to get themselves out of this disaster they've gotten themselves into. We could even discuss the human rights disaster this cup is shaping up to be

How do they plan on moving the World Cup and under what pretenses? Do they start demanding an aggressive timetable, with clear deadlines for fulfillment, then pull the tournament when Qatar fails to meet a deadline? What would be the potential legal recourse for Qatar? If they do attempt to move it, how would that even happen?

Etc etc etc.

I'd prefer these threads be located here as I enjoy reading opinions from fans all over the world. With that said,druryfire the hundreds and hundreds of Qatar 22 supporters makes make discussing this topic on BS impossible.

11. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #136 Brasitusa, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    I'm late to this discussion, but I read a point in one of the posts above berating Americans for bringing up human rights and slavery - as if the issue could be said to be somewhat artificial.

1,000 dead. Let me repeat. One. Thousand. Dead. That's how many constructions workers have already died in Qatar, building the facilities for the WC. One. Thousand.

There's nothing artificial or inappropriately righteous about it. These 1,000 dead constructions workers are someone's husbands, fathers, brothers, sons.

Estimates are that 4,000 more will die until all the WC 2022 facilities are built.

In Brazil, 9 construction workers have died. It's a dirty shame. There were massive street protests about it.

9. Versus 1,000, going to 4,000 more in Qatar. No, this is a train wreck. Something must be done to stop it. There is no justification whatsoever to kill 5,000 over a sports tournament. One doesn't need to be American to realize this.

Bubba1971 repped this.
  12. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've lied about every single other thing involving their bid, why should the stadium legacy be any different.

1)the cooling technology doesn't work.
    2)the tournament can't be played in the summer.
    3)they can't get 12 stadiums built,
    4)experts have called into question their port and air capacity expansions as well
    and oh yeah, they treat humanity less than animals and bought the tournament. But, we should take their word that the stadiums will have a legacy in poor countries.

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Right, to your points.

1. Does work... we've been through this before.
    2. Can be played in summer unless you know otherwise
    3. They could build as many stadiums as they like.... but we all know 12 would be overkill. But they can still build them.
    4.Experts have called into question.... bla bla. Do you not think this is what experts do? Question things?? Treat humanity less than animals?? Yet, weridos in Amercia look people up as slaves!!! Bought tournament.... evidence please.

14. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Angeles Galaxy, 2000

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Get your facts right. As you're boiling your head, over a fantasy that is not true.
    Not a single stadium for this WC has begun its construction yet.
    So not even one worker, has died yet.
    ;)

16. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the fact that they just acknowledged that they can't get 12 stadiums built less than 3 weeks ago when they changed their bid agreement to only build 8 completely go over your head? Did the fact that they changed stadium designs because of the unfeasability of the cooling technology not register with you? Is the fact that 5000 people will die building this just not important?

Seriously, if someone is going to be as ridiculously biased as you consistently are then you could at least acknowledge some basic facts. I'm not going to repost them for the dozenth time. You are wrong, have been wrong every single time you posted, and will continue to be wrong every time you post in the future. You're just a talking PR machine for a totally corrupt organization, nobody is fooled. The entire world community has turned on this bid long before FIFA has acted. I'm not even concerned about this tournament actually taking place. If public pressure on sponsors and media companies has to destroy FIFA financially in order to prevent this tournament from happening, then that is just the cost of FIFAs corruption.

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yeah, kind of meant recent winner. Not something 14 years ago and done nothing since

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yes, they cut down the stadiums, but that's not to say they couldn't make as many stadiums as they wanted does it now??

The entire world community has turned it's back on this bid? Eh? When did this happen?

The cooling technology does work...... been through this all before haven't we. Yes, not tried in Qatar on a big scale... but then it is 2014 mate... not 2022.

19. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #144 Brasitusa, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    OK, I checked, and you are right. I was thinking all sorts of facilities and infrastructure, not necessarily stadiums, but you are right that the contrustion workers deaths are so far not related to the WC. More precisely, it has to do with the steady rate of deaths in Qatar, which have been 964 over the last two years, so people extrapolate the rate to get to 5,000 for the WC which is a fair estimate given that this approximate number will be likely to be reached even if there are no changes in the rate, which will probably go up with the acceleration in construction work as the WC nears. So, most likely, it will be more than 5,000 - unless the outcry generates changes in the conditions, which is why it is important to engage in this outcry. Here, this is the link from which I got this, but read it too fast and indeed misinterpreted it. Still, rather concerning. Go tell the families of these 964 dead workers that this is all a fantasy. Let's see what they'll think of your take.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-untou...nsible-for-atrocities-in-qatar-171943680.html

20. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't change the terms of the contract ever, unless there is a big problem. They can't get 12 built. I realizing conversing at you is a futile waste of time. People this biased have an agenda, and you can't fix nonsense, the information has been posted countless times, continuing to be biased in the face of fact just means you are wasting everyone's time. I feel confident this tournament won't happen, now that's opinion, but the pressure on FIFA seems to be ratcheting up a couple of notches. There are so many stakeholders against this that it will bankrupt FIFA to let the tournament proceed. I think the mistake will be rectified before the end of the year, not 5 or 6 years from now.

21. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Pressure on FIFA???? I haven't seen any pressure going up.

Who are the stakeholders against this world cup?

22. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  23. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you're not used to the lack a bluntness that goes along with this kind of thing. When Blatter said Qatar 2022 was a "mistake" he was laying the ground work to move it. He would never have said that if he thought it was a 100% go. He's trying to distance himself from the whole thing, and remind people that he voted for the US.

As for the "stakeholders" who are against it, please look through the posts on this forum. If you don't consider the fans and supporters stakeholders then maybe you shouldn't be calling me arrogant.

24. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Druryfire is still a one man apologist team.

All the negatives are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they can't meet the terms of the agreement. That just means they weren't fair to begin with. Who cares how they build the stadiums or how many people die? Who cares if FIFA has already said it needs to be played in the Winter? Who cares if the head of FIFA has admitted the choice was a mistake?

Qatar is the greatest place in the world to have a World Cup and anyone who disagrees is just a post-colonial Westerner who can't understand that the rest of the world outside Europe and the US are just dying to have a World Cup on the Arabian peninsula in the summer.