Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    respect for grabbing a draw versus iceland and the victory in switzerland shines under a new light after the swiss run circles around belgium.

i really hope for a good host.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    andregunts repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that, my friends, is how you politely tell someone they have no ******* idea what they're doing. :D

4. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I say change it to 49 and move it to another site.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it 300 and invite countries from other planets to play. Host it on another planet...

ceezmad, jagum and unclesox repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let me call my good friend Elon Musk to get this party started.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Posted an article in the Colombian forum that says there's discussions of the CONMEBOL starting the marathon Qatar qualifying competition in March of 2020 instead of the usual September after the Copa America.

Would suck personally because I would have to wait so long to see the best Qualifying in the world (Thanks Qatar) but it makes sense since the World Cup is scheduled for Winter of 2022.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems like a 48 team tournament is still on the table

FIFA boss Gianni Infantino claims majority support for 48-team World Cup in Qatar 2022
    https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...eam-world-cup-qatar-2022/10619418?pfmredir=sm

Possible lineup for World Cup 2022

WC 2026 finalists allocation (2018 comparison)
    • Asia: 8 places (4.5*)
    • Africa: 9 (5)
    • CONCACAF: 6 (3.5*)
    • Sth America: 6 (4.5*)
    • Europe: 16 (13)
    • Oceania 1 (0.5*)
    • Playoffs: 2**
    * Runners-up in Asia, CONCACAF, Sth America and Oceania played two-leg playoffs for two spots in finals

** Six-nation tournament with confederation runners-up for two places in finals

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is going to get good in March.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just waiting for Infantino to suggest Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Israel as WC2022 co-hosts, to complete his Nobel Peace Prize-winning goal of peace in the Middle East through football **butterflies, chirping birds and cotton candy**

BocaFan, ceezmad, Gistavo Amaral and 3 others repped this.
  12. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Surely you meant Saudi Arabia, *Iran* and Israel there. I have stood in Jordan with some American defence contractors and been literally two feet away from some (Germans) standing (well, wading) in Israel, with only a (very lightly armed and highly bored) Jordanian border official watching on.

And why not? If they can agree on a schedule let them co-host and all get host spots in the finals. :)

J

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking of geographic continuity :D

Gistavo Amaral repped this.
  14. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    nothing makes sense with this world cup

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, it makes sense in the nonsensical World Cup cycle. :D

16. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    i remember discussions over 24 teams at world cup 82 and how. stupid fifa is and i remember critizism on usa 94 and how this world cup would be a farce. then the fear of crime in south africa 2010 and brazil 2014.

in 20 year we will laugh about all that fuzz that has made up here ahead of qatar 2022.

17. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    nope

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24-team tournaments are garbage - 1982 somewhat saved itself by not having any third-placers advance, but at the expense of a ridiculous second group stage in which England could go home without actually having been defeated.

19. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    i dont meant the format ... i meant the amount of teams ... all laughed about algeria, cameroon, honduras ... and then they suprised.

unclesox and Paul Calixte repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, they tend to be shit, I loved Panama, their fans were great, but man the team was garbage (still better than the USA since they at least made the WC).

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh...they were long in the tooth and overdue for renovation, but I understand Bolillo making the call to dance with the ones that brought him. It's a damn shame that the world got to see 2018 Román Torres at the finals and not the beast-mode 2014 version.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Dude, thousands of construction workers have died and tens of thousands more are experiencing slave-like conditions so that we could have 4 white elephants in the same small city.

I don't see how we'll be laughing at the fuss made over Qatar in 20 years. It will always be the lowest standard. No matter how much we might criticize future host selections, we'll always be able to say "well, at least its better than Qatar 2022."

23. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    talking about white elephants and deaths of. construction workers you should also have a look at manaus or natal or even greenpoint in cape town.

there were also many deaths in construction of stadias in the 20th century. there was just not the internet to investigate in it.

but ok, if you so much against it... just the hell don't watch it.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Re: Brasil 2014. Yes, spending money on stadiums was perhaps not the best way for such a country to spend its resources. The last 3 hosts all had issues but Qatar is just on another level. Its like the issues of US'94, Brasil and Russia were put on a pile, with some new issues sprinkled on top, and voila - Qatar 2022.

US, Brasil, South Africa and Russia also had a lot of positives which you cannot deny.

But, yes, construction accidents happen everywhere:

o-QATAR-SDEATH-TOLL-570.jpg

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm all in favor of criticizing Qatar if safety standards and general working conditions are not up to a satisfactory international norm. But I'm not sure this chart does that accurately.

The volume of construction happening in Qatar is immense, quite possibly unprecedented for a country of this size. It includes major projects like the airport, metro, road and hotel infrastructure. Not to mention residential areas and retail space (and a number of these projects would still be built without the World Cup.) If the death count is included for all of these then I'm not sure we are comparing apples to apples.

A more appropriate way to compare would be to look at death counts for stadium construction only. That would give a much better indication of how Qatar stacks up to the likes of Russia, Brazil and South Africa.

AlbertCamus repped this.