"Put a lid on it!": Wizards Stadium Thread v.08.03

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kopiteinkc, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More encouraging than the KCBJ article.

"It's likely you'll hear from us in the near future," said Cotton. "We're moving the process forward. The reason you haven't heard from us is because everything is going well. If things were going poorly, you'd hear a lot from us."

I guess sometimes it's good for those higher up to be eternally optimistic (besides CO, I mean :D). :)

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little tidbit from the article:

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah, all the move KC people are back out of course... :rolleyes:

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the st. louis choads are the best. they spout about a city who's had two mls approved investors when their own can't even get one. soccer city usa over there, folks. can you feel it?

EDIT: and now that i've read that thread over there, i see that el jefe beat me to this line of thought. oh well, it just shows that the view is evident to even outsiders.

6. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the part I don't understand: the vote in Missouri was for $10 million, right? So how can the DED approve $30 million? Wouldn't it have to go back to Jeff City to vote on the newly requested amount?

7. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City
    Great question. I don't think the Development Finance Board can approve $30 mil, although I think they can recommend that the Department add the extra to next year's budget request. However, I don't think that will bung up the stadium, because it looks like the $30 million is for the total project - stadium, fields, and hotel/retail. The initial $10 million is presumably only for the first phase of the project, the stadium.

If the Finance Board grants the application for the $10 mil, the Department of Economic Development will have to ask for the extra $20 mil in next year's budget and the legislature will have to approve that amount next year. But we'd still have the $10 mil for the stadium even if the legislature doesn't approve the extra $20 mil for the tournament fields, hotel and retail.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn dude... are you trying to get it delayed further? don't give 'em any ideas. just let 'em pass it and turn a blind eye.

9. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, because I expect their design to change the same way every MLS stadium's design has changed before construction has actually started. I'm under the opinion that while I'd like to see it we'll see it when we see it. And when we do we can all bitch about it then like we always do.

I mean this was TFC's original design.
    [​IMG]

Early Colorado design
    [​IMG]

Even Red Bull Park(Arena) has changed some.
    [​IMG]

11. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    So, the design is going to change. We ALL know that. It's already changed.

So, what's your point?

We can bitch now as easily as we can after-the-fact. ;)

12. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Toronto has really wide roads.

*goes back into hiding*

13. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We released some renderings too. If you go to the Three Trails website you can see them. Just because they are releasing some designs doesnt mean that the stadium will look anything remotely close to what they actual build.

Would you want the team to release some design that isnt finalized? I dont understand that. I only want to see the rendering that is as close to the finished product as it will get before being built.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm professionally involved in this arena. You always want to be very careful about what you present to the owner/public. No matter how you attempt to qualify something, "this rendering is preliminary", "this is merely a ballpark price", etc. it becomes burned into the memory of that owner/public.

Any future deviation from that preliminary plan or price will be used a blunt instrument with which to beat you about the head and shoulders.

Sometimes, waiting is better. Infuriating for those of us who want to know, but better.

15. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town
    Is that a grass berm I spy?

But in all seriousness, if you're like me and have trained your brain to think/know that the new stadium won't be ready until 2011 then you don't except to see the design anytime soon and the wait is acceptable.

I mean, you really think we can build a stadium before World Cup 2010? Look how far SA is and we're still questioning if they'll be ready. (larger stadiums, I know, but my point, and forced thought process, still remains)

16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As a fan of video games, especially Blizzard Entertainment video games, I have come to realize that good things are worth waiting for*.

*If you have to ask, you'll never know.

17. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect it to be ready mid-2010... if they were going to break ground in March/June/whatever and make it by open 2010 then I don't see why delaying the ground breaking 6 months would cause the stadium to be completed 12 months late.

18. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "My life for Aiur"

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hell yeah.

20. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'm already drooling over SC2. I'm holding off on buying a new computer until there's a release date :D

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Haha. Same here. I'm ridiculously stoked about D2 too. It's going to suck my life away.

22. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming you mean D3? But yeah, when that comes out it's pretty much game over as far as my social life goes. This is why I've never picked up world of warcraft...

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Heh. Yeah. I mean D3.

24. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait I love the series and can't wait till D3 comes out. 4 years in the making it better be good.

25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright damnit. what the hell are you all talking about? sc2? d2? d3?