"Put a lid on it!": Wizards Stadium Thread v.08.03

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kopiteinkc, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put a lid on it indeed...

3. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    version 8.3 happens to be started on August 3rd?

4. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Hearts stadium in Scotland is NICE. I like the walls on the ends of the stands -- really closes the place in and I'm sure makes for big sound amplification from the fans.

On the other hand, it would also cut down on those nice cross-breezes that we need on 100-degree-plus days like today.

7. Icculus

Icculus Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Steamboat Springs

what he said.....NICEEEEE

8. WildcatWizard

WildcatWizard New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Manhattan, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't let us build it that extreme, but I love that "closed in" style, and it would really add something different to the lineup of new soccer stadiums. I also believe letting the fans sit close, and I do mean CLOSE, would be huge. To be honest, I don't think either will probably happen, but I can always hope...

9. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats it, thats what I want

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The steeper and closer the stands, the better. Whenever I look at some of the newer stadia like TFC's and RSL's -- they are nice, don't get me wrong -- but they just look so... flat?? And far away and spread out? When I looked at Hearts' stadium, I said yep, that's the look.

Like "stadium seating" in the newer movie theaters. High and close.

[​IMG]

11. WildcatWizard

WildcatWizard New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Manhattan, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think an intimidating, original (for this country), stadium like that would really appeal to the average kc sports fan.

12. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start the game at 8pm in the brutal hot part of the summer would at least give us some respite from the sun during most of the first half and second half would be tolerable.

Switch back to 7 pm in the fall when it's starts to cool down and let's have day games in the early spring and very late fall...

13. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    Is 18k-18.5 k a magic number from MLS ? KC has overall averages around 10k per season for soccer going all the way back to the Comets days....how does building a stadium make for an extra 8k fans per game ? Wouldnt 14-16k be better? I think 18k per game is a fantasy. I can see some extra interest in the new home, but 8k extra interest? Too large. Id say we will be averaging mabye 12k a game in the new home with occassional sellouts for special matches. I want to be positive about it....but......

Matthias

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same thing was said about the Chef's when they moved from 40,000 seat Municipal Stadium to 80,000 seat Arrowhead.

When the Chef's were garbage they didn't come close to filling it. When they were good and contended the place was sold out year after year.

If the Wizards field a good, competitive team, filling an 18K venue should be doable. If they become "the thing to do" such as the early Comets or the 90's Chef's they'll out the place on a consistant basis.

15. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think 18K is perfect. Are we going to sell it out everygame? No, but we need room for immediate growth. Having to expand after 2-3 years would be get really expensive.

I think we could realistically average 15-16K. We have been up to those figures before and with proper marketing we can do it again.

16. slashersfc

slashersfc Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2003 and 2004 (our last great team, and right before HSG pulled the plug on all marketing for the team) we averaged 15,573 and 14,819 at Arrowhead.

As long as we are competitive, 18K is completely doable in this market.

17. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hasn't 18.5k been the plan since the beginning...or just something we decided :)

18. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, so we're hearing most of the stadium will be covered but the area planned for the Cauldron will not be. So just spitballing here, but if the roof were the curved one we've seen that looks like eyelids, and the Cauldron were behind the goal, we would indeed be in one of the few unroofed parts of the stadium. That's the only thing that I can picture in my mind that fits that scenario, unless they had the two long sides covered but the ends without a roof. Like maybe leave it off for now, and add it later when funds are available, that sort of thing.

If you squint you can see the below image depicts two opposing curved roofs covering the main stands, and a portion of the ends.

[​IMG]

19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My impression is that the image above is purely an artists rendition and nothing more.

I have heard recently that the sides are indeed covered, but the ends are not. The Cauldron will be at one of the ends. Uncovered.

This is all subject to change of course. And this is all rumour.

And no, I have not seen any renderings.

20. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anyone else who's like me in that they _love_ sitting in the Cauldron but _hate_ sitting on the end? Perhaps I just need to get used to sitting there, use the jumbotron more and whatnot, but I have such a hard time watching the game.

21. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    I hate sitting on the end, you cant really tell which runs are good and who has space....something that looks promising from our end, if you watch it later, you notice....

"crap, that was nothing at all, no wonder nothing came of it....."

My vote is move to a corner AT LEAST. maybe from one corner flag TOWARDS center. One or two sections worth.

My vote is cast.

matthias

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have said for a long time a supporter's section should be directly across from the camera on the halfway line. Yeah they are the expensive seats, but the camera shows you the whole game, other teams notice you and the rest of the stadium notices you -- and under our current scenario it would be covered.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought our move from 114 (the corner) to 102 (25 yd line?) was great. We were, as Mark stated, much more visable and 102 affords the Cauldron a much better view of the match.

24. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warning, pot stirring comment below, read at your own risk.

[Result]And handsitters everywhere were up in arms at how their seats were devalued by allowing GA to sit at the 40 yardline for $10 as opposed to the $18-$21 everyone else had paid. Wait, this isn't the grass berm argument is it? :D[/result]

<------ducking flying objects.

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STH's in 102 paid more than $10 but still probably less than the HSers. :)