Puerto Rican Soccer

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by artstrek98, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Over

PR 1-0 DR

2. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    97th minute!!! Impressive!!

I'm really hoping you guys go through, and beat Honduras...

I want to face you guys in Stage 2, barring we don't mess up against Bahamas/BVI.

3. BoriQa

BoriQa New Member

May 26, 2007
    Ajax, Canada
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  4. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    A great night for PR futbol! A victory before a full stadium. Futbol has to grow!

5. EROtero

EROtero New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Puerto Rico vs Jamaica

that would be nice... it will probably end up being a big reggae party which ever wins.. :p

6. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well DR has already put in a complain with FIFA, as espected. LOL
    DR came with all their excuses for loosing prepared.

7. BoriQa

BoriQa New Member

May 26, 2007
    Ajax, Canada
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  8. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Something I have no problem with :)...would be really enjoyable

9. UMass

UMass New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Boston
    I have been reading a lot of good articles about The Puerto Rico Islanders and their coach Colin. The football has really has increased with new talent infusion that Colin has brought in.
    Now they have to go up against Honduras. Good for them. However isn't the Caribbean Cup a more realistic gold to increase it's profile. I have read that Puerto Rico in not in the next Carribean Cup. Why not?

10. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    So when is the qualifier against Honduras? I saw the date somewhere yesterday, but I can't find it today. I think it's in June, but FIFA won't confirm.

11. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  12. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well I do think they deserved a home game like at a neutral venue as alot of other teams get em, don't know why DR never got it.

Good win tho you guys improved alot and could see you giving Honduras a fight at home, congrats ;)

13. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Its not our fault that DR dint have a venue ready for the first league and forced FIFA to make it a one of game. PR was ready and we should be penalize because the other team wasnt.

14. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course not, but what I'm saying is that while it is DR's fault for not having a proper stadium ready, they should have gotten a neutral venue to play in as a "home" game like every other team has gotten. (Belize for example played in Guatemala I believe)

I do believe any team that doesn't have a venue ready for a WCQ game should be punished for it like DR did but if FIFA is not gonna punish the other teams for not having one then why should DR be the only one to get this punishment.

15. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    PR is a very neitral venue for a DR vs PR game, since there a huge DR population in PR and from what I have been told there was a large chunk of DR fans in the about 6,000 in attendance. Plus for both teams it was probably cheaper to play in PR rather than playing it Miami or New York. Which attendance would have been horrible. A ticket to PR from DR could cost you less than $100

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Woah really? What was the total attendance for the game?

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    And it's just growing now since the NT hadn't played in so long. I fully expect the attendance to get bigger as the team plays more often.

20. brit_boy

brit_boy New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Juan
    Did not see any one chearing for DR. It was most definately a "home game" atmosphere for PR

This was not the only tie decided with just the one game. It was not FIFA punishing DR it was something DR know about entering the competition and something that would have been agreed upon long before kick-off.

The question we had when we were watching "what would have happened if it was tied 1-1, would DR go through on the away goal rule?"

21. brit_boy

brit_boy New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Juan
    Imagine how many more would have shown up if people only knew the game was been played.

Zero press coverage - papers or TV

Of all the people I work with here only one knew about the game, and only because her daughters’ soccer practice had been cancelled so the kids could attend the match.

8,000 = official guesstimate number (hence the nicely rounded number). No official counts taken of course. Looked at least that to me, it was certainly more than an "average" islanders game.

22. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Really? That sucks. I remember reading a few things about the game on endi.com, vocero.com, and Primera Hora but I don't know if they mentioned it in their printed version.

A few friends and I who aren't in the island were telling everyone we knew about the game, posting about it in message boards and all that stuff to get people to go.

23. brit_boy

brit_boy New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Juan
    Overall – DR came with a defensive mind, putting lots of players behind the ball and trying to catch PR out on the fast break. It almost came off for them on one or two occasions when PR lost concentration after long spells dominating frustratingly resulting in few chances. PR lacked that clinical passing and finishing in the last ¼ of the field. Something you hope will be ironed out once the season starts and the local players geta few games behind them. In the end it was the better team that won on the night, PR having dominated possession and played a more aggressive attacking game. Colin Clarke has this team set up well, the on the field organization he brought into the Islanders game last season is also evident in this team, all the PR team lack is their playmakers to be a bit more switched on and some clinical finishers up front.

Stand out players of the match for PR for me were;

4 – Marco Velez – held the PR defense together, swept up anything extra that came through, looked very comfortable and easily the nicest first touch and most confident on the ball of all playing.

17 – Andres Cabrero – constantly looking to attack the DR defense and work tirelessly to get down the left wing behind the back four to supply crosses into the box. Had the DR right back dizzy by the end of the game.

5 – Noah Delgado – another hard working performance, battled to the end. Had a hard task against the annoying tight one on one marking from DR but coped well.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Please send this video to concacaf so they can suspend Osiris

25. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any youtube highlights? Puerto Rico are now my Caribbean team :)