Pre-match: Protests, the Anthem, and the Flag discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Reccossu, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the pearl-clutching concerns about the US team not "respecting the flag" means that US Soccer has made it mainstream. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so sure about that. I think it is more they are reverting to their roots because they are not used to this type of potential challenge. 3 of the other major sports have had to deal with major social issues, some multiple times (maybe even Hockey, too). This is US soccer's first major social challenge. Unfortunately, the powers that be are not thinking long term.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey is just happy you paid attention to it, even in passing.

soccernutter repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not asking, expecting. If any of them care enough to try to enact real change that is. Or they can keep kneeling and nothing will be done.

5. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Actually, he said that not everyone who was protesting the removal of the Robert E Lee statue was a White Nationalist/Supremacist. But go ahead in your echo chamber and keep repeating your lie if it makes you feel better.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you expect Blacks to sit with a man who approved of people which want Blacks to be second class citizens, at best, many wanting Blacks to be eliminated from the US in any way? What position of equality are the Blacks working with?
    Tie Domi would like a word.

7. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    "wanting Blacks to be eliminated from the US in any way". WHAT. ARE. YOU. TALKING. ABOUT.

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good. Should they also not vote or give money to charity?

9. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I would hope that our players take pride in the fact that they're representing the US on the international stage. I would hope it gets them fired up to know that they're playing for their country. If that's the case, it's hard to imagine them wanting to kneel for the national anthem.

10. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to ESPN . :rolleyes:

11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can hold both thoughts. Black men are often patriots but rarely blindly so. Jim Crow was legal when 65 year olds were teens.

soccernutter and HartwickFan repped this.
  12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why presidents invite champions to the White House and throws out first pitches, to keep out the political stuff.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t one of the fundamental purposes of a protest to get attention? Should they kneel in their basements?

Dude, don’t get high on your supply.

14. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Good point about Jim Crow. I don't expect anyone to be blindly patriotic. If players in interviews or on social media publicly voice their resistance to Trump and what he's doing to our country, that would bring me great joy. I would applaud them for doing so. To me, that would be patriotic. I believe if a person really loves their country, they feel compelled to speak up when their country falls short of the ideals that it aspires to.

My concern is purely a pragmatic one. As a fan, I just want to see our team be as successful as possible. Consider two hypothetical teams composed of the exact same players. The only difference is that players on the one team are fired up to be representing their country on the world stage, and players on the other team are indifferent. Which team wins? Is there really any doubt that the team whose players are fired up beats the team whose players are indifferent? That's why I want our players to be fired up.

Of course, this begs the question whether a team of players who kneel for the national anthem will necessarily be less fired up to be playing for their country than a team of players who stand. If they're just as fired up once the game starts, then I have no problem with them kneeling. But it seems like a stretch to me to say that the team of players who take a leg could be just as fired up.

15. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I think I might have watched one 49ers game that season so I'll take your word for it. However, he did have one outstanding season and then was bad to mediocre after that. He's also a much better fit for certain offensive systems than for others (Chip Kelly's being one he's a good fit for) and he's injury prone.

Because clearly that's his market value. The NFL isn't a charity. Why would a team offer him more than that when they could use that cap space to make the team better at other positions?

The NFL and its teams are businesses. If owners don't feel that signing Kaepernick is worth the backlash from their fans, that's their right.

Plus, let's say some team signs him. He'd be a backup, so let's say the starting QB on that team is white and has a couple of bad games.

Now, the same coach/owner/GM who signed Kaepernick in the first place are going to have the usual suspects in the media screaming at them to start him, and if they don't they're racists. And you're incredibly naive if you don't think that's exactly how it would play out. Why would any owner, coach, or GM subject themselves and their team to that?

Look, actions have consequences. When you're an NFL QB and you talk shxt about the national anthem and call cops pigs you're likely ruling yourself out from ever being signed by a team in a conservative part of the country (like, for example, the team that signed Weeden). When you show up to a press conference wearing a shirt glorifying Fidel Castro, you're probably never going to get a contract from the Dolphins for obvious reasons. Really, Seattle was a perfect fit for him both on and off the field for reasons ranging from the city's political bent to his familiarity with the division, but he turned down the offer there.

Master O and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the problem is that Germany will push the problem underground where it can fester under the auspices of criminals and lunatics.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You would have to repeal the first amendment right to peaceably assemble, i.e., associate freely.

One hand washes the other.

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do. I'm a native speaker of English, as are many of my fellow Penn Staters.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why you added the second part.

As to the first part, I've met both natives and foreigners who can speak without an accent. I've also met people of both English and Spanish language who will mimic accents they hear, and it has nothing to where somebody got educated. As far as your accent, that will certainly go in your favor when speaking to the police.

Chesco United repped this.
  20. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if it says more about NFL owners or NFL fans, but Greg Hardy wasn’t a distraction till he had a terrible season with the Cowboys. Ray Lewis was a team leader after aiding and abetting a murderer after the fact. But Brandon Weeden got signed while Kaepernick didn’t.

I think the owners have a predisposition to only hear certain fans’ voices because NFL owners have a plantation mentality.

50/50 Ball and soccernutter repped this.
  22. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't make the initial comment. Which was that sports was better without all the "political crap". You created the narrative of sports and politics strictly being separate with your snarky comment.

My point was merely that if I want politics, world events, etc. I will turn on the news. If I want sports I will turn on ESPN. It's ok for them to be different channels and not have an obvious crossover. In fact, I prefer it that way.

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  23. Sepahcs2

Sepahcs2 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Someone asked what would the players do besides kneel?

How about articulating a value proposition in the Wall Street Journal? San Francisco Examiner. Washington Post. Dallas Morning News. Any reputable paper.

Or how about appear on some news shows and articulate your value proposition verbally and persuade folks that way.

After all the majority of them went to college.

Jim Brown (Hall of Famer Cleveland Browns) said Kaepernick needed to decide whether he was a football player or an activist. He stated when he was a football player he was not an activist. Now that he doesn't play football anymore he can be a activist.

Excellent advice I think.

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Mantis Toboggan M.D.

He had more than one good season. He ran roughshod over Green Bay in the playoffs his second year starting and came within a last second interception of beating(in the NFCCG) the Seahawks team that embarrassed Peyton Manning in the Superbowl.

The owners have every right to not employ him based on his views and actions.I just want people to acknowledge that his play is good enough to be on a team .

It's like the people who swore that Landon was fat or arguing with teammates to justify Klinsmann.

25. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if the Ray Rice video had not come out, I'm sure he'd still be in the league.