Project24 - Stage 5 - Arsenal v Watford

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Sep 27, 2018.

1. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Need to see the formation for longer without Ramsey at 10 and ozil out wide before I write it off. We saw them play well together in essentially the same formation last season.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ozil and Ramsey were playing central last year

Not the same

3. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Was talking about auba and laca. I don’t think we saw the four start a game together all season last year. We saw laca and auba a few times and auba was fine I think.

Just watched the first 20 mins of the Watford game again. Really we could have easily been 3-0 up in 20 mins. Should have had a pen, Laca’s chip gone wrong, Lacas cut back to auba just got deflected, Monreals nod down to Laca from an ozil was about 6” off.

What I’m seeing is that we are being much more decisive and caring less about patient build up/possession. Lots of through balls that don’t come off, early crosses, diagonals, etc. This mixes with some spells of possession. Not sure if it’s intentional to mix things up or what, but it makes for a nervous live viewing of the game bc there are very few relaxed moments unlike under AW where we would routinely have or concede possession for long periods.

I think this can partly explain why players are seen as peripheral. It’s because the “plays” are high reward/low probability moves in which only 1-2 players get touches that show up in stats.

Consider the attack in the 20th minute. Arsenal cycle the ball around the pitch a couple of times. Bellarin releases Ramsey behind. Ramsey’s cross is partially blocked but Laca retrieves and pulls back for auba. Defender deflects it to ozil who floats a lofted ball behind for Monreal who nods into lacas path. No shot, but he is inches away from a decisive touch. Great attack and will only show in the stats as two completed passes, a ball retrieval and a blocked cross.

DaPrince84 and thebigman repped this.
  4. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do not have real wingers. I say we go to a 3-5-2. More stable backline and both Auba and Laca get to score at will!

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me.

I don't know how well these guys would fit together, but on merit so far I'd be tempted to use Sok, Holding, Lich as our starting 3. Then for backup/rotation, the 2nd 3 could be Mustafi, Mav, and in a pinch Nacho.

Did I forget anybody?

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...........laca....auba
    .................ozil
    ........Xhaka...torreira
    Kol............................bellerin
    ......holding..sok..musafi
    ................leno

...........laca...auba
    .............. ..ozil
    .........Ramsey...Xhaka
    ...............torreira
    Nacho..holding...sok..bellerin
    ..............Leno

The only ways I can see them playing as a 2

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you really rather see Mustafi start in the right side of the 3... rather than Lichsteiner?

We know Lich is a right-sided guy, but it's not clear if he's ever played in a 3 before. But personally I've just about lost all faith in Mustafi, so that's why I started thinking of this alternate idea.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I want mav to get ganetime

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I have read several anorak articles recently that point out Mhki is likely a better right sided option

He brings goals and the data shows he has a high defensive contribution in the high press

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have been championing him

He creates a lot of chances from the byline

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been clear for a little while now. And I've been wanting Emery to try starting Mkhi in the EPL. Why would Auba-Ozil-Mkhi be so bad?

Also, Iwobi made a strong case Saturday to compete for this spot. Paul on ArsenalVision podcast, pointed out that Iwobi was nearly useless for his first 10 mins while he was on the left. But then when they switched him to the right, he caught fire, and assisted two goals.

12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    apparently he is injured

thebigman repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 NorthBank, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    40 hrs until our next match... in bloody Baku!!

With the high prices Turner is charging, this might be one to consider a reddit stream for.

Or else pay B/R $2.99 for 1 match ($9.99/mo or $79.99/yr)

Saved you a little work @crazy150 ;)

Edit: I just noticed that my DVR is gonna record it on a channel called Gala (GALAHD-E), presumably en espanol. Kinda like the last time we played in EL. Also, just like last time, GOLTV will show a replay at 10pm ET, presumably in English (ArsenalTV).

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BR at 10/month for the CL and EL is the upper limit of what I can justify.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with ya. I think I'll dip my toe back into the pirate streams, or if I'm not thrilled by that, maybe I'll pay $3 for just this match?

16. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not bad....
    I think in 10 yrs time... very few will have cable
    It will be a la Carte for channels
    Which is fine

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I found out that it's on a Spanish channel called Gala so if I end up watching it live on TV, that's what I'll do.

18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    What's the story with Turner and the Champions league. Both City and United were on TNT yesterday. Are they trying to set the hook and then move the games to a pay platform, or are they going to continue to show the games on TNT?