Professional Artists/Architects/Craftsmen - Represent

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by Matt in the Hat, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you're really out of luck ;)

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats! Who'd you finally find to take the exam for you? ;) You're business card is probably looking silly. Do people refer to you as Mr. Hat, or do you like the "in the" to be included?

WTF?! That there is some loyalty for you. Unbelievable.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Where'd ya work? I know a firm actually in Overland Park that also works with a national client of mine. I have no clue if they are hiring or even in the market for folks...feel free to shoot me a PM if you wish.

4. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been doing traditional art, freelance graphic design, t-shirts, for some time now. Working towards getting stuff ready for a master's program, emphasis in print-making.

5. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Currently an undergrad at University of California Berkeley, Architecture major and intended Sustainable Design minor.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get that LEED before you graduate

7. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'll def. look into it this summer :)
    If its no trouble, do you know any good sources to study off?

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at few posts up. I shared some (somewhat older) study materials with MitH a little while back. And by "somewhat older" I mean materials relevant to LEED V2.2.

Speaking of which, have any of the LEED peeps gone with any of the professional credentials yet? If you're already LEED accredited, do you need to take an credential exam now as well? I can't seem to find that info ...

:eek:

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue. And I haven't done a one because there are like 50 LEED people in Dubai so the classes aren't available

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, my super-sleuth skills turned up the following:

LEED Specialty Enrollment

One can either take the exam pertaining to the specialty available to him/her, or can enroll in and complete the 2-year credentialing maintenance requirements.

I hath enrolled in BD+C which, for some reason, was the only one available to me.

:confused:

11. raged

raged New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Great thread!
    I went to art school for 3D graphics and animation but I've always been interested in many other disciplines of art. From graphic design, architecture, industrial design, to even sequential art and comics.

I decided that learning 3D would allow me the freedom to be an architect at times, or an industrial designer other times. Drawing I could always do at home like I always have so I enrolled in the 3D program at SCAD.

Learning 3D eventually led to a career in the videogame industry. I've been making games now for about 10 years. The biggest game I've worked on is Red Dead Redemption.

The videogame career is what brought about my interest in soccer. I started playing with colleagues from work after moving to San Diego. The pickup games soon became an obsession and I was hooked.

A few years ago I decided it would be fun to design a soccer ball. That idea snowballed into a project called PASSPORT soccer. The objective of PASSPORT is do bridge art, design and soccer culture.

I enjoyed very much reading about everyone's experiences with art and design.
    Very happy to see other people who are as passionate as I am about it.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, um, Scooter, that don't make you no architect.

13. raged

raged New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed, I'm in no way qualified to design a real structure legally.
    :)
    What I meant is that, as a 3D artist I am able to design structures, for fun, to the best of my abilities whenever I get the urge.

Did not intend to misrepresent myself in any way.

14. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can imagine such comments may insight murder amongst architects...

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Shit. If I was burned out then (in 2006), I must be a cold heap of ashes by now. :eek:

And screw my background. I can't wait to get the HELL out of journalism, and yes, even graphic design.

16. raged

raged New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bonnie, if you don't mind me asking, what turned you off about journalism?

Besides journalism, do you do any other sort of writing?

17. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I was never a big writer, but I'm a decent editor. My main job at the paper is the pagination of pages (Quark/Indesign), doing graphics and artwork for editorial use, and taking photos, if the need arises.

I don't want this to be a 'I hate my job' post, so I'll try to keep it brief. Basically, the internet is killing print journalism. As a result, jobs are getting slashed, companies are handing out a ton of furlough time (we had 4 weeks this year) and it's getting harder and harder to retain quality employees.

Then there's the job specific hazards of working nights and weekends, holidays, etc. It's just a long, hard grind with very few benefits anymore. It's not as if I was looking for a career in journalism. I just sort of fell into it after college. So, I'm not exactly heartbroken about it. I do feel bad about wanting to walk away from graphics, but it's been 11 years and I think it's a good time to get out of that and go back to school. (Psychology more than likely.)

18. raged

raged New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Thank you for answering my question Bonnie.
    Yea, print work seems to be increasingly scarce, and newspapers continue to go under.

Best of luck with your career switch.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm being as polite as I possibly can, but you're not designing structures in any way, shape or form.