Pro/Rel Again (Prompted by USL for Sale)

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by millwalldavey, Aug 17, 2009.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will see what happens with the new investors?

2. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    pro/rel would be a good move for mls, it would give any team and fans the chance to play first division football

it would boost attendances in usl and MLS for sure like in the J.league

plus the relegation fight si so exiting

3. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvC1ijiyv1c"]YouTube - Soul II Soul - Back To Life[/ame]

I'm done. Since there is nothing new to discuss, I'm out. Enjoy coming back to reality.

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Football League 1 stadiums are from 7,691 - 39,401 the equivalent of USL-1 of course the 39,401 is Leeds United which used to be in EPL a few years back.

Football League 2 stadiums are from 5,057 - 25,294 the equivalent of USL-2

5. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, I beg of you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE close this thread!!!

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    C'mon. WSW is just auditioning to be a future Press Secretary.:rolleyes:

7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear: League 1 is the English third division. That means there are 44 teams in higher divisions--more than MLS, USL-1 and USL-2 combined. I don't see the relevance.

If you want USL to be a second division, compare it to the English second division, the Championship, where there are only two grounds smaller than 15,000.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't, because MLS is at the level of Championship, stadium-wise and the level of play.

MLS = Championship

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=eng.2&cc=5901

USL-1 = League 1
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=eng.3&seasontype=4&cc=5901

USL-2 = League 2
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=eng.2&cc=5901

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Have you noticed most of the responses have been trying to instill some logic and reason into you? I think it says something about you. It doesn't take 300+ posts for most.:rolleyes:

Have you seen this document(PDF)?

League Seating Capacity Surface Size Lights
    USL First Division 5,000 116’ x 75’ Mandatory
    USL Second Division 3,500 106’ x 70’ Mandatory
    USL PDL 1,000 100’ x 66’ Mandatory
    USL W-League 2,000 100’ x 66’ Mandatory

In order to provide a stadium environment that is comparable to that of other professional sports organizations, while providing a fan-friendly and customizable environment, USL has developed additional minimum venue requirements at the professional level (some of which are listed below).

Benchmark USL First Division USL Second Division
    Seating Type 50% Individual, 50% Bleacher w/ back Bleacher
    Surface Natural grass or rubber-based synthetic surface Natural grass or rubber-based synthetic surface
    Parking 1:4 spaces to fans 1:4 spaces to fans
    Dedicated VIP area 6 Suites/Luxury Boxes Enclosed Area
    Dedicated Booths for Broadcasting 4 2
    Dedicated Phone Lines 3 2

11. jamiehex

jamiehex Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS in running to buy USL

You keep saying the European way... pro/rel is most of the WORLD way. MLS is boring. There is no penalty for sucking. The President's trophy means nothing due to the stupid playoffs which PENALIZE the better team by playing away first. And 2 conferences? Red Bull playing for the WEST crown last year with a neg record against a 10-10-10 team. RSL, who I support, has sucked for far too long. What was the penalty? Nothing. More mediocrity tinged with suckiness. But I digress... sorry

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

President's trophy? Are we talking about hockey now?

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting document....I know those are minimum standards, but they could also change the rules:

example from Tampa Bay Rowdies:

The team has filed plans with Hillsborough County to build a 5,000-seat stadium on 15.3 acres at Waters Avenue and the Veterans Expressway.

which is minimum right......but:

As proposed, the stadium could be expanded to just under 10,000 seats. It also would have about 800 parking spaces, a restaurant or pub, stores and maybe a soccer museum.

What's the minimum for MLS? 10,000? 15,000?

14. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

You do realize, that RSL is playing in its 5th season, and if it weren't for some very unfortunate posts, they would have played in MLS Cup 2008 against Columbus, don't you? The Supporters Shield winner, plays away in the first leg to be at home for the final whistle. If you don't like the playoffs, don't watch. Perhaps after RSL spent good money coming into MLS, and even more on a stadium that has hosted the MLS All Star game and is hosting a USMNT qualifier, we should have let them get relegated and try to make their investment back by playing the Puerto Rico Islanders and maybe even the Bermuda Hogges. I'm sorry if the single entitiy structure of MLS bothers you so much by denying the franchise banishment so common elsewhere. I'm happy for it, it allowed MLS to survive to the point of profitability, and made sure MLS will be around for years to come.

15. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS is boring? Compared to, say the Scottish Premier League? Now that's a boring league.

Pop quiz: think you can predict the top two teams in the SPL next season? The season after? Think you can do the same for MLS?

16. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

you got equally sucking 15 teams, and so random things happen... very exciting...

communist system never succeed. it may work initially for certain situation, but it never works.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's better than a boring league where you know from day 1 that only 2 teams are going to challenge for the title.

18. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, it is exciting most of the time. That's because parity is at least as important as quality.

Another way of saying "equally sucking" would be "roughly equal in talent." Nobody is pretending that your average MLS team is the best team in the world, and if that's your standard, you're going to be disappointed.

Real Salt Lake is not as good a team as Real Madrid. But I'd rather watch Real Salt Lake play D.C. United than watch Real Madrid play a high-school team. It would be a more interesting game, even though the Real Madrid players would be the most skilled players in either game. An average NFL team would destroy even the top college programs; does that make college football boring? Many people still seem to like it.

I would rather MLS stay as a middle-tier league with a reasonable degree of parity than have a few teams improve and see it turn into something like Scotland's joke of a top league.

19. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

good for you found it interesting, but the problem is that seems like most of the soccer fans in US who are the MLS's primary marketing target don't think so.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As long as it'll be their team that is the Rangers or Celtic of the league....

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well I'm lucky enough to support Man U, but from what I understand from friends back in England, people are getting fed up with the same four teams taking the top 4 spots every season.

Some US fans may not like the current quality of the MLS, but take it from me, if and when the teams reach the level of say Tottenham or Aston Villa, the parity and fact that any team could win will be considered a plus.

Also, bear in mind I've only bean in this country a couple of years and I'm buzzed by the LA Galaxy playoff chase right now. This is after 30+ years of following United.

22. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

So the solution is to have 60 "equally sucky" teams and institute Pro/Rel? That's what soccer fans who look down on MLS are waiting for? C'mon. Do you really believe that, or are you so desperate to win this debate you'll say about anything in the hopes something will be considered a valid point? For someone who thinks MLS is "boring and sucky," you have a very interesting screenname...:rolleyes:

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well this year could be different in EPL....

I have more of a problem with the ref's in MLS than anything else.

24. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Yes, I'm also very for playoffs. I'm more toward traditionalist when it comes to football, but I'm for two tables and playoffs for MLS.

Even if you have a few dominant clubs, clubs in the middle table still have shots making playoffs and anything can happen in playoffs!!

At the end of regular season, top team in each table get conference champion title. Then Overall MLS Cup title after playoffs. Best of both world.

[edition]
    East Conf. Champ, West Conf. Champ, MLS Cup Champ. all get CCL Berth.
    USOC Champ get the last CCL Berth.

For MLS Cup runner up... well... thanks for playing how about berth to DuperLiga if it's still there.

25. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

no, you need system that encourage reward punish, thus promote real competition.. move away from communist system.