Review: Primera A League Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by NYC_COSMOS, Jan 23, 2011.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Como se nota que ya no está mas el Padrino...

Burr repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From the latest AFA meeting...

[​IMG]

Look at the wine glasses again......

No shame.

megamac20817 repped this.
  3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wtf

locoxriver repped this.
  4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Those would look pretty good on my bar:ROFLMAO:

Burr repped this.
  5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plot thickens...

[​IMG]

cigar_city, megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The format of the 2018-19 season has been decided: 26 teams playing 25 matches each (no extra derby round).

So basically teams play on average 2 matches per month! WTF? How can players develop when they play so few competitive matches?

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well not really 2 per month -- you gotta take into account the off-season breaks (June-August, December-February) + FIFA international match dates.

Teams will be playing 3-4 times a month for the domestic tournament. Half of the teams will also be playing the Libertadores/Sudamericana, and then you have the Copa Argentina for a few additional matches.

It's still obviously ridiculous and we all can't wait for it to get back to 20 teams (no argument there), but it's comes off as a sensationalist statement to say that there will only be two games every month. Plus, it's practically the same as the current season that just ended -- just 2 games less in the entire year.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    February and August are not part of the off-season. The new season starts on 10 August. Yes, only 2 matches fewer than last season but last season was already quite light.

I would have played a 25-game season from August to March. Then start a new 46-game season (with 24 teams) that would run from April 2019 to May 2020 to relegate 6 teams (with 2 promoted). Play 8 games before Copa America’19, have the winter break and then play “the normal” 38 matches after.

That would get us to 20 teams one year sooner. Relegating 6 teams in one season sounds extreme, but given that the season would be 46-games long it makes it fairer.

9. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why can’t Argentina get this right. Home away vs every team. It’s simple!

locoxriver repped this.
  10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its simple, but the 30 team tournament set the league back 6 years. Its a complete disaster, and the people paying for it are the socios of the clubs who still pay the same if not higher dues, but will only get 12 or 13 home matches per season. To think tiny countries like Uruguay, Ecuador, Switzerland, all play many more games than our league and we are a massive country with 40 million people and we play 25 league matches. Its not only stupid, its sad.

Burr repped this.
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    6 years I hope. Even when they widdle the top flight down to 22 teams I'm worried that they'll dream-up some crazy format, rather than just go with the obvious home-and-away format that everyone else knows is best. Maybe they'll go back to the mickey mouse apertura - clausura. :mad:

12. Ashwanth

Ashwanth Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    May 16, 2018
    pls guide me on the clubs of argentina; been a huge NT fan from 86 after seeing maradona, still a huge maradona fan.... have been following nt in friendlies and copa and in wcup but to no avail till now.... want to start following the clubs now after this debacle.... knew riverplate a bit because followed aimar when he played and never boca fan though.... controversial question though....
    so which current team is good to follow,
    and who are the future players from each....
    just looking at the top four or five clubs like boca, river, racing, independiante and lorenzo.... and any other team like newells etc
    who knows my love for arg football can never stop after seeing maradona, now I might even end up in arg soon finding a job and settling in arg too; but all I know is arg football is great

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nobody could tell you who you should follow or who is good to follow, you just have to watch games regularly and it will come naturally. Good place to start would be to follow the Copa Libertadores since most of the top Argie clubs are still involved. Namely Boca, River, Racing, Independiente and Estudiantes.

Ashwanth and locoxriver repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Argentina adding a League Cup to their calendar. :rolleyes: Same format as the Copa Argentina but only played among teams in the top flight. And the entire tournament will take place in April and May.

https://www.tycsports.com/nota/supe...-comienzo-ascensos-descensos-y-una-yapa-.html

I'm not sure if that means the SuperLiga will end in early April or if it will run simultaneously with the league cup(?). I guess with only 25 matches per team in the SuperLiga it won't be a problem finishing the schedule by early April. But that would mean a long winter break for teams that don't get past the first round of the cup.

15. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so dumb. League Cup is dumb enough in England, why create something that has no reason to exist?

BocaFan, Ron Mexico and locoxriver repped this.
  16. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    $$$$$$

locoxriver repped this.
  17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but that well is gonna go dry if they keep it up.

18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They are creating the league cup because the league season is only 25 games and that is not enough games. Even tiny countries like Uruguay or Switzerland have leagues with 30+ matches. Argentina, country with 40 million people, has the fewest number of matches of any top flight in the world. Its an embarrassment.

Not that the league cup will ad that many more matches, if you get eliminated in the first round that only 1 more match.

The AFA really is the worst its unbelievable. I really have had enough of them. At least most countries that failed in the world cup can turn to a domestic competition that is well organized and exciting, we get 25 matches, an absurdly long winter break, only one superclasico this whole season... Its really sad

BocaFan repped this.
  19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't like the contrived fecha de clasicos, but at least then we had two clasicos per season and it ensured each team got to host a clasico. My team, River, will not host a super clasico until October 2019, while Boca has not hosted one for over a year, the last time being may 2017... Its absolutely insane. Can you imagine Real Madrid not hosting Barcelona in the Bernabeu for over a year? Its not imaginable.

20. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Greetings, my club Udinese just purchased Ignacio Pussetto from Hurcan and I have not seen him play whatsoever. Was the signing worth it for 8 million? What type of player is he? Does he have good potential?

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe this article can help shed some light on him. I haven't watched much of him but I did hear good things about him. He did well enough for European clubs and Boca to come knocking. I believe Benfica were interested and perhaps even Ajax. El Globo had asked for 10 million for him from Boca, which was turned down. The New York Red Bulls were also interested but at least the kid had his priorities right and decided to go to Europe rather than the MLS. For 8ME, it should be a good buy. Low risk-high reward.

https://golazoargentino.com/2018/07...witch-huracan-move-for-juan-garro-to-replace/

Also, feel free to drop by whenever you can and give us updates on De Paul and Musso(If he gets to play).

UdineseFan98 repped this.
  22. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I appreciate the link.

As for De Paul and Musso I will come back to give updates on them. De Paul might not be at the club much longer as he is in a row with management for not selling him to Fiorentina. Musso will battle with Scuffet for first choice keeper. I am intrigued with him however.

SupaMario repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Does that mean the league cup will only exist for 1 or 2 years (until we get down to 22 teams and teams play more matches in the super league)? Okay, as I typed that question it occurred to me that even the AFA doesn’t think that far ahead.

Also it would make more sense if the league cup had a group-stage followed by a knockout stage. You can have 4 groups of 5 and one group of 6. Maybe put each team in the same group as their #1 rival, to the extent feasible to make up for the last of derbies in the rest of the football calendar.

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL good job Angelici making sure Zarate doesn't have to visit Liniers this year

Ron Mexico and SupaMario repped this.
  25. manu chao

manu chao Member

Partizan Beograd
    Argentina
    Apr 10, 2017